Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many combinations to win MM with ?

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Win MM with How many combos 100% of time?

100 000 [ 4 ]  [44.44%]
50 000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
25 000 [ 1 ]  [11.11%]
15 000 [ 1 ]  [11.11%]
10 000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
7 000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
5 000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
3 000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
1 000 [ 1 ]  [11.11%]
500 [ 2 ]  [22.22%]
Total Valid Votes [ 9 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 11 ]  
LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
Tx
United States
Member #4570
May 4, 2004
5180 Posts
Posted: September 29, 2005, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

RJOH

As with the pick 3 most of the combos for the games are exactly on the middle sums, the ones that you are not filtering out, that is why your filters by themselves are not very good, that is what I have been trying to tell you, that is why your are not getting the winning numbers on your 500 or so combos.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Tx
    United States
    Member #4570
    May 4, 2004
    5180 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2005, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Aggressive filtering is the only way to reduce the combos enough for jackpot kind of games, otherwise your RNG is mostly just giving you  a list of 500 Random Numbers.

Tx
      United States
      Member #4570
      May 4, 2004
      5180 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2005, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Filtering is not just a waste of time, but there has to be SOME REAL FILTERING. And also some real number groups wheeling, either by position (Best) or across the board (O.K. but not very good).

Tx
        United States
        Member #4570
        May 4, 2004
        5180 Posts
        Posted: September 29, 2005, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Filtering by position might be where it is at, otherwise there is hardly any filtering done at all.

By the way I like to know more about your GWBasic routines like the one above, I don't see where it ask you to enter the games' numbers like 6/49 or 5/44 + 1/44 or whatever, should not there be one or more INPUT routines ? And maybe a WAIT or something ?

I also would like to see some filtering, example routines, so I can see how lottery filtering routines are made or coded, I don't know anything about manipulation of numbers, but want to learn, but not just for the whole number, also filtering routines by particular number(s) position(s).

Bye.

Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: September 29, 2005, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Also RJOH, sums filter little unless you narrow them even more, Roots (standard) and Last Digit Sums' Roots filter out a lot more combos, but have to be used extensively all across by numbers' positions and the sums also and even then they are not enough, other filters have also to be used very aggressively by position also, for jackpot kind of games you have to use the whole spectrum of filters and by position(s), not just across the whole number.

Otherwise there is little filtering done.

Also number(s) ranges and gaps have to be used much more extensively.

Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: September 29, 2005, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

To see how these things work, you should start with a made up game of say 4/20, compute all it's possible combos and then start filtering them with many filters one at a time and then some together and then all of them together, develop your begining filters on this made-up game, since it does not have as many combos you will be able to see the effects of filtering on it a lot better than on a big game.

Or better yet use some state game that has 4 main balls only and not too many total numbers like 4/37 or smaller than that if you can find a game that is smaller and start the filtering with that game.

Tx
              United States
              Member #4570
              May 4, 2004
              5180 Posts
              Posted: September 29, 2005, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I think that it is best not to try to get the winning combo on every draw, but to trap it every so many draws.

The winning combos don't have to pass the filters every-draw, they have to pass only one time on one draw.

Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: September 29, 2005, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I did the count using those parameters which only reduced the possible combinations from 3,819,816 to 3,743,683, so the real odds are 1:172,209,418 instead of 1:175,711,586 about a 2% improvement, not a lot for all that filtering.  Makes me think that all the filtering may be a waste of time.

RJOh 

You said that that filtered out only 2%.

If you just had filtered out 1 root instead, it would had filtered out 1/10 or 10% of the total combos, much better, right ?, just one single root and nothing else.

Bye.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19813 Posts
                  Posted: September 29, 2005, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Filtering by position might be where it is at, otherwise there is hardly any filtering done at all.

By the way I like to know more about your GWBasic routines like the one above, I don't see where it ask you to enter the games' numbers like 6/49 or 5/44 + 1/44 or whatever, should not there be one or more INPUT routines ? And maybe a WAIT or something ?

I also would like to see some filtering, example routines, so I can see how lottery filtering routines are made or coded, I don't know anything about manipulation of numbers, but want to learn, but not just for the whole number, also filtering routines by particular number(s) position(s).

Bye.

You are correct, what was shown was the basic subroutine to print all the combinations. Inputs for the variables CS and HN and the selected parameters are entered else where in the program.

Subroutines to filter and count the combinations within those parameters are also needed.  For example I used SUM as the variable for sums and LS (low sum) and HS (high sum) as their limits. Then in a subroutine I used the statement SUM=N1+N2+N3+N4+N5 and then used another statement IF SUM<LS OR SUM>HS to count of dismiss a combination.  Sums by positions would require several similar subroutines.

Right now this is just a simple experimental program that I'm just messing around with to see what can be done for the heck of it, it  not intended to be a finished program worth saving for future use.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19813 Posts
                    Posted: September 29, 2005, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

When I reduced those parameters by 25% to sums = 100-170, ranges 22-49 and gaps = 1-20, 1,330,004 combinations were covered which reduced the odds of winning from 1:175,711,536 to 1:61,180,184. 

When I applied those reduced parameters to the actual data of MegaMillions winning numbers, 43% of the numbers were totally within those reduced parameters.  I concluded that 43% of the time, my odds of winning would improve 287% by picking my combinations accordingly.

RJOh

Evil Looking       

Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: September 30, 2005, 1:39 am - IP Logged

RJOH

Thanks a lot, Yes the numbers need to be trapped just once.

Now a help to tight-filtering would be to try to predict what pattern or patterns and or numbers might show-up next and or in a near future draw(s).

You can try to predict future number(s) pattern(s) and or future numbers.

One or the other, or both.

So, you can filter by pattern(s), by numbers, or both ways.

Also by whole complete number and by particular segment(s) by position.

It might perhaps be best to start only with the main numbers of a relatively small jackpot kind of game and then go from there.

Do keep on experimenting, if nothing else, do it for the fun of it, if not for the money.

Looking at some of my past pick 3 filters' posts might give you some filters' ideas.

And if you don't mind, do show the whole GWBasic wheeling and filters routines please.

Good luck.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19813 Posts
                        Posted: October 1, 2005, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion pick3 and pick4 games are totally different when compared to pick5 and pick6 games.

Pick3 and pick4 have 3 or 4 groups of ten numbers (0-9), one number is picked from each group and doubles, triples and boxed hits are unique to these games. Pick5 and pick6 on the hand have one group of numbers (25-60) and each number is picked from that one group and the order of their picks don't effect their value.  Programs that evaluate both types of games the same way haven't been very successful with either. 

Since I primarily play pick5 and pick6 type games, my routines only work with those type games.  Right now I'm only interested in the MegaMillions game.

Good luck on your pick3 filtering project.

Evil Looking