Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How high will Powerball get this run?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How high will Poweball get this run?

150Million + [ 8 ]  [22.86%]
200Million + [ 9 ]  [25.71%]
250Million + [ 9 ]  [25.71%]
300Million + [ 5 ]  [14.29%]
350Million + [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
400Million + [ 4 ]  [11.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
twisted's avatar - underground
New Jersey
United States
Member #2376
September 25, 2003
582 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

After Powerball was changed in October 2002 it did not take long for it to reach a new high and break the $300 million barrier (December 2002). Now with the annuity value highly inflated (cash value only around 49-51% of annuity) and the ratio of jackpot odds to population the highest, I have a feeling it will reach a new high this run and maybe even reach $400 million (ofcourse only if they got rid of the cap on the jackpot).

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
    Riverside, Ca
    United States
    Member #21722
    September 14, 2005
    173 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

no it will get to $200 million.........a jackpot will never get to the $400 million mark it will never happen

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: September 19, 2005, 12:09 am - IP Logged

I think it can make quite a number. Better chance than Mega Millions. But keep in mind that $300 million in Powerball is a lot less than $300 million in Mega.

(insert signature here)

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        579 Posts
        Posted: September 19, 2005, 8:35 am - IP Logged

I see it getting to around $250m, no higher than $300m.  I hope I'm wrong, I'd like to see a $450m jackpot!  I think a record setting jackpot in either PB or MM will do good for advertising and marketing the games.  It will raise the amount of players, and thats a good thing.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: September 19, 2005, 8:56 am - IP Logged

I don't think PB with the new matrix will break the 250 million dollar mark this year! I hope I'm wrong. The new payout for the cash option has many people upset (me included). To payout less than 50% on the cash option isn't right! It has to be a conspiracy by the MUSL and the states that participate in the PB drawings to get more of the people to take the annuity over the cash pay-out! And how can you get them to do just that, make the cash pay-out less than 50% of the anuity pay-out! I would think that would drive more of the people (the real greedy ones) to the anuity instead of the cash, Even with the lower cash pay-out I could still invest it and get a higher return on the money than the anuity!

The anuity option in any lottery is for the GREEDY and the SUCKERS! And for the people who know no better!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
            United States
            Member #19651
            August 3, 2005
            621 Posts
            Posted: September 19, 2005, 10:30 am - IP Logged

that mm run took a lot out of players i hope it hits 200 million  then i will hope it hits 300  i cant get to a powerball state till oct so lets hope it rolls and rolls  its got a cap of 25 million i  was told  13 rolls so far and it never rolled more then 19 times      over 250 seems hard

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: September 19, 2005, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Yeah a cap of 25 million dollars per roll over isn't right! If the sales where higher and the roll over warrented a higher amount to be posted, that's what should be posted. 

19 rolls is the record for PB & MM (I think that's what I saw on another thread somewhere on here).

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: September 19, 2005, 10:54 am - IP Logged

barista:

I see the new annuity LESS attractive since the payments increase each year. I don't think many winners will even consider not taking cash.

Alabama
                  United States
                  Member #17830
                  June 27, 2005
                  309 Posts
                  Posted: September 19, 2005, 10:57 am - IP Logged

that mm run took a lot out of players i hope it hits 200 million  then i will hope it hits 300  i cant get to a powerball state till oct so lets hope it rolls and rolls  its got a cap of 25 million i  was told  13 rolls so far and it never rolled more then 19 times      over 250 seems hard

If you can't get to a PB state until October, but want to play PB before then, you might be interested in "Prime Ticket Service" - www.betslips.com . Todd has checked them out - see www.lotterypost.com/thread/118824 .

I've bought both PB and MM tickets from them, and I'm very satisfied with their service. Just wish I could pick the winning numbers!

Anyway, the nearest PB state (TN) is over an hour and a half drive from where I live, and given the cost of gasoline these days (round trip requires about 8 gallons of gas), this is the best way for me to play.

With Prime Ticket Service, it cost $12.50 for 5 tickets (minimum order is 5 tickets). The cost of 5 tickets, had I driven to the state line, would be ~$22.00 (gas) + $5.00 (tickets).

BTW, I voted $200 M+ in the poll. I think that with the new matrix, we'll see more jackpots close to $200 M or so. And you're right, the recent MM run did take a lot out of many players.

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: September 19, 2005, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Yeah a cap of 25 million dollars per roll over isn't right! If the sales where higher and the roll over warrented a higher amount to be posted, that's what should be posted. 

19 rolls is the record for PB & MM (I think that's what I saw on another thread somewhere on here).

I have a better idea for the 25 million dollar cap - the cap should apply to the CASH VALUE option!!  That would make it easier to break the $363 million record annuity jackpot.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: September 19, 2005, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I think it can make quite a number. Better chance than Mega Millions. But keep in mind that $300 million in Powerball is a lot less than $300 million in Mega.

I'm not sure it necessarily has a better chance than Mega Millions, because sales for Mega Millions have been slipping as well, meaning less combinations sold, meaning better chances of a long string of no winners for that game as well.  On the other hand, Powerball's lucky streaks historically ended, at least temporarily, every time they upgraded the matrix.

I voted for $200+ million as well, since that seems the most realistic.

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: September 21, 2005, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I guessed at the $250M level; however, I have no idea of where it is going. If I knew that, I wouldn't have to buy tickets every drawing, just the winning drawing. I could you that extra money guessing when MM will peak.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                          Member #2338
                          September 17, 2003
                          2063 Posts
                          Posted: September 21, 2005, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Only way it's hitting 400 million is if the cash option is around 150 million. I'm guessing 200-250 with the cash being less than half. Too bad powerball keeps screwing up like that. at least MM only changed the game matrix.

twisted's avatar - underground
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #2376
                            September 25, 2003
                            582 Posts
                            Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Only way it's hitting 400 million is if the cash option is around 150 million. I'm guessing 200-250 with the cash being less than half. Too bad powerball keeps screwing up like that. at least MM only changed the game matrix.

If the jackpot does reach $400 million, the cash value will be around $198 million (taking into account the current cash to annuity ratio at the powerball website)

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3047 Posts
                              Posted: September 22, 2005, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I think that this run is going to end before it reaches 200 million probably in the next week.  Some one is going to get lucky so I hope the luck is coming out west to the state of Oregon.