Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Fear of Winning

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 11 years ago by powerplayer.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
mt7895's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg

United States
Member #4397
April 21, 2004
21 Posts
Posted: October 12, 2005, 10:05 am - IP Logged

jt1217 said

"I guess in most respects I do not want to live in fear that because I have an absurd amount of money that maybe my children would be threatend and that I could not live in peace each day." 

I Agree!

Now this part, I understand and in full agreement.  What any parent would want to pick up the phone one day and hear, "We have your child, if you ever want to see him/her alive again ..." 

I shutter to even think about it.  I hope and pray for anyone who wins will never experience anything like that.

That has always been on the back of my mind.  (Also the Mel Gibson movie, "Ransom" comes to mind as well).   If we ever win, security for our family will be one of our top priority. 

Isn't it sad and sick that one have to think of that sort of thing?  Anyway best of luck and good fortune to you and your family. . . as well as everyone else at LP.

Sun Smiley 

Atlanta
    United States
    Member #15989
    May 24, 2005
    183 Posts
    Posted: October 12, 2005, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Hey JT, if you have NEVER purchased a lottery ticket before, what are you doing on a lottery website? Just curious. I've never purchased archery equipment, but I don't hang out at archery websites either. Your fear is interesting though, and points brought up here by others are as well.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: October 12, 2005, 11:19 am - IP Logged

As I said before, money is merely a 'tool to prosperity and happiness' - not a prerequisite necessarily. If you had problems managing money before winning the lottery, chances are you will still have them afterwards. Even if you do hire a team of professionals, you need to be educated as well, and be able to keep an eye on them also. But I do believe all the tax problems would still not be nearly as bad as being broke all your life, and working everyday. I would rather have all that free time to do what I wanted to do, and work the way I wanted to work.

Sure there would be a huge 'cultural shock' value for awhile, but I could get used to it. For me, millions is not an open invitation to start blowing money mindlessly...but an invitation to start living life the way I would enjoy it the most.

sirbrad,

This is really a good post, and so very very true!

Thanks, glad some enjoyed it. Big Smile   I speak from experience, and always try to have an adequate game plan to meet my needs, and take care of what is most important first. You work hard, then you can play hard. Although you will certainly be busy even after winning a huge windfall, it will be much more appealing as opposed to being a "wage slave," and working to make others rich. You can now work to make yourself even richer, or just work to keep yourself occupied with something you actually enjoy doing.

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: October 12, 2005, 11:32 am - IP Logged

"For the person who said I was in bad financial shape, I will let you know that "not really".  I own a house and have two car payments--both cars will be paid off in three years ..."

Own a house do you? Miss a couple of payments, and see who really owns that house. Get sick and spend a few months recovering. Lose that $56K income to a job cut.  See how the real owners react. Miss a few of those car payments, and see who really owns those cars. From what you said, the only real fact is, there is a quater of a millions dollars in debt here - plus some major interest.  Bad timing is always bad timing. Rarely is there good timing. You don't own a house until you own a house. You don't own a car until you own a car. A quarter of a million in debt is a quarter of a million in debt. Timing has nothing to do with it. In your own words, the future holds even more debt. Oh, by the way, nothing in life is free; some one paid for it one way or another.

Like the guy holding on the the life raft said, if the boat had not sunk, I would have been in Bermuda by now.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: October 12, 2005, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

I agree that getting death threats or kidnapping threats would be a scary prospect, but I still would want to win. I wouldn't let those thoughts get in my way of playing the game and trying to win a large jackpot.

Dance like no one is watching.

Ohio
            United States
            Member #23372
            October 11, 2005
            4 Posts
            Posted: October 12, 2005, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

After some discussions in my Anthropology class at school, I got curious to what others feel about the lottery and about winning (oddly enough winning the lottery is not necessarily about anthropology--it started on a discussion about how Jewish people tend to have money--I don't know about the Jewish thing, but it was brought up how frugal they are---or it could be a common misconception either way.  I looked up some information on the WV PowerBall winner, whose life has fell apart since winning and just wondered if you are not born into money, is it something that could be learned (handling millions).  I know that I do not have any bragging rights and I won't bragg, our portfolio is at the minimum for our age although in many cases we are in an OK situation.  Our "net worth" is not millions, but we get by.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: October 12, 2005, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

After some discussions in my Anthropology class at school, I got curious to what others feel about the lottery and about winning (oddly enough winning the lottery is not necessarily about anthropology--it started on a discussion about how Jewish people tend to have money--I don't know about the Jewish thing, but it was brought up how frugal they are---or it could be a common misconception either way.  I looked up some information on the WV PowerBall winner, whose life has fell apart since winning and just wondered if you are not born into money, is it something that could be learned (handling millions).  I know that I do not have any bragging rights and I won't bragg, our portfolio is at the minimum for our age although in many cases we are in an OK situation.  Our "net worth" is not millions, but we get by.

I won't mention who, but there does seems to be a pattern forming. Certain groups will be better off. That seems to be the way of the world. Sadly, but true......and no way around such a dilemma.

Everyone...raise your hands if you would rather be poor? I didn't think so....

The Jewish people are not only smart, but run the country......are you kidding me?

I've got plenty of data to back it up....It's not a hot topic I know....

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: October 13, 2005, 3:57 am - IP Logged
                You can't let the fear of what others may do affect your own life, and the potentials it may have. To do so makes you a slave to others. Most of us have already been doing that our whole lives as it is, and working only to make others more money. Most of the time fear itself is actually bigger than the supposed problem really is. We have a tendency to over-exaggerate those fears in our minds as a form of 'self-protection' and preparation for the projected outcome. But usually the fears do not live up to the realities thankfully. Kinda like going to the Dentist and being terrified, only to leave saying "Hey that wasn't so bad after all."
                  four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8392 Posts
                  Posted: October 13, 2005, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Jt1217 you shouldn't let what happened to someone else affect you one way or another. The guy that won that jackpot was a millionaire before he won knew exactly how to handle his money. And was in a fairly good money making business installing septic systems. When he won he changed his persona altered his lifestyle and was overwhelmed by the circumstance that he brought upon himself and his family. This along with other issues caused a meltdown.

Some of his problems he brought upon himself he had opportunity to make changes and didn't he definitely had mental issues before he won and since he won. The man is/was so full of himself that he didn't seek any professional help was shunned by his community and clergy. No wonder he went down the path he did. All that was before he won changed so dramatically when he won that he couldn't deal with it.

No one but him really knows why he did some of the things he did. My guess is when you have money beyond your wildest expectations and the mentality like his that you are apt to do things regardless of the consequences. Figuring if he got in trouble that he could buy his way out. That's one of the biggest problems will great wealth you can easily fall into a trap and have to dig your way out.

There are far more success stories of jackpot winners to dwell on. Then the mentally incapacitated winners.

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: October 13, 2005, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Success is not newsworthy. No articles will ever appear on the New York Times front page about a woman giving birth to a healthy 8 pound baby. Let one person get shot inside the Empire State Building and fifty people write articles about it for the next six months. There are hundreds of articles on Jack Whitiker and his failure, and half a dozen on the thousands of other winners who improved their lifes. No one watches the Weather Channel to find out how many consecutive days of sunshine we had. Only to find out how many died in the latest rain storm. The news makes a ton of money on tragedy, and loose a lot on happiness. Politicians follow the same lead. Ask a Democrat to say something good about New Orleans.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #23372
                      October 11, 2005
                      4 Posts
                      Posted: October 13, 2005, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  Some people do not have the metal capacity to win millions. I just think that having that money could possibly make a person very greedy. I can't fathom how it would be to have people calling and asking for money on a daily basis, and even with millions there still would not enough money to help everyone out. Granted with millions I should be able to live in a secure environment, but really to me that would not be living. I like living my life in an anonymous fashion where I can go about my daily life and the contributions I make to society go unnoticed. I know my opinion is very strange, but I respect everyone out there who would want to win the lottery. If I wasn't too cheap I would probably invest in a scratch off ticket every now and then, but the good ones cost $5 and I can't justify it spending $5 to maybe only get $2 or $3 back (if I am lucky). If someone offered me millions, it would take a lot of restraint for me not to take it--but I would hope that I would stay true to myself.  However, if someone offered my ideal limit $200,000 I would take it in a heartbeat. For my own self, the "ideal" amount for me to win would be $200,000 and after about 28% is taken out in taxes my husband, kids and myself would be set. Our life would not change dramatically it would just get a little easier.  However, if anyone of you wins millions "CONGRATULATIONS" I hope the best for you.

Goleta, CA
                        United States
                        Member #23423
                        October 12, 2005
                        9 Posts
                        Posted: October 13, 2005, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

if anyone here wins the lottery and they're scared of all they're new found millions, i'd be glad to help them out ;)

TigerAngel's avatar - tiger andfairy.jpg
                          california
                          United States
                          Member #23475
                          October 13, 2005
                          659 Posts
                          Posted: October 14, 2005, 2:42 am - IP Logged

Well, I agree with Pearl Baily when she said "I been rich and I been poor and rich is better".

I've been flabergasted by my friend lately who came into a nice inheritence. Fear of money is the only explaination. Within a week he "gave" it all away.  No thought for future emergencies, improving his quality of life etc. Just a jittery person finding ppl and places to "get rid of it".  (all except for me of course) .

Perhaps a guilt trip that someone died for him to get the inheritence. I tried to warn him about that phenomenon ahead of time. 

As for me, I have my acceptance speach already written for my tv appearance when I hit the big one.  Also have lists, daydreams and a picture/goal book.  And as far as friends and relatives calling for help $, instead of a stack of unpaid bills I'd  love to be able to help others out. Also, there's plenty of role models out there, for example look at Oprah!

Blue Angel  "if you can hold it in your mind, you can hold it in your hand"

powerplayer's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                            Member #17834
                            June 28, 2005
                            2083 Posts
                            Posted: October 14, 2005, 5:05 am - IP Logged

Hello all,

I would like to say I highly believe it is a displine action that needs to be taken when the jackpot of riches $$$ come a person's way. I am Jewish and I am good with my money but, yet very bad with it also at times. I do agree Jewish people handle there money very well as my parents did but, that is not true to every Jew out there. I wish it was!! It's a big mind over matter if you can handle that kind of money.

As for freinds. I have one that said no matter how much she won she would not share a dime with friends. I respect her only because she's a friend and only plays PB once in awhile when the jackpot is really big. If she buys more then 3 tickes it's a miracle. She is very cheap!! Even giving a person a penny makes her cringe!! So if you have friends that say this remember one thing if there greedy now with no jackpot in hands can you imagine how greedy they will get when and if they ever do hit the jackpot. A true friend will  help other friends. I friend that sits and waits for the right moment of riches and then jumps up and leaves is not a true friend. Make sure you know who your real friends are before you hit big so this way you won't loose money later down the road.

As for me I have a list of what I would do and I update the list every 3 months adding things I would do with it and takeing away things that would be stupid to do after reading over my thoughts 3 months later. So all in all if you win big then be smart and have a plan. It's always best to have a plan just in case. You never know when a $1 and a dream will come true!!

Powerplayer

Good luck to everyone!!!