Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PB: How many tickets will you be buying?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How many tickets do you plan on buying for this Saturdays 300 Million dollar Powerball jackpot?

1-5 [ 25 ]  [44.64%]
6-10 [ 7 ]  [12.50%]
11-20 [ 5 ]  [8.93%]
21-30 [ 4 ]  [7.14%]
41-50 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
51-100 [ 3 ]  [5.36%]
101 or more [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
None [ 12 ]  [21.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 56 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
Member #12618
March 18, 2005
2060 Posts
Posted: October 15, 2005, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Ugh...I'd hate to work at the terminals during big jackpots.

Dance like no one is watching.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3046 Posts
    Posted: October 15, 2005, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I bought 1 ticket on thursday and 3 tickets today for tonight all with the powerplay option.  Come on powerball jackpot! You can do it! Come to Willamina, Oregon! 

Litebets27's avatar - power
      Maryland
      United States
      Member #10465
      January 14, 2005
      6065 Posts
      Posted: October 15, 2005, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

In the state of Delaware, the lump cash sum for Powerball is $106 million.  If somebody from Maryland wins it, how much would the state of Maryland pilfer in taxes?  Does anybody know?  For a $300 million dollar jackpot, taking away $244 million dollars is like 3 quarters of the prize.  That's a huge cut.  A $7 milion dollar a year payout for 30 years isn't bad.

Mag, I've often wondered this myself since I too venture to Delaware to get Powerball tickets. I beleive Barista Express explained it best after your question. I plan to pickup 20 tickets today.

Good luck everyone, and welcome to the site Mag52.

litebets

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2005, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

5 PowerPlayed plays, which in PA gets you another PB with PP.

(insert signature here)

Whitwell, TN
          United States
          Member #5461
          July 5, 2004
          56 Posts
          Posted: October 15, 2005, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

I spend the same amount every time $4.00. I play 2 sets of my own pick and 2 sets of quick picks.

Come on powerball hit in Whitwell, TN. tonight!!!

as always good luck to everyone and remember I'm Destinedtowin.

Thud(me when I win tonight)

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: October 16, 2005, 2:07 am - IP Logged

If I was living in a PB state, I would have bought two tickets. One ticket would be normal pick. The other would be a PP.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: October 16, 2005, 3:16 am - IP Logged

All a waste yet again. I still hope I get it all back soon, and then some...

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: October 16, 2005, 8:16 am - IP Logged

In the state of Delaware, the lump cash sum for Powerball is $106 million.  If somebody from Maryland wins it, how much would the state of Maryland pilfer in taxes?  Does anybody know?  For a $300 million dollar jackpot, taking away $244 million dollars is like 3 quarters of the prize.  That's a huge cut.  A $7 milion dollar a year payout for 30 years isn't bad.

Mag:

There is no cut; not a small cut, not a huge cut - zero cut. There never was $300M. Thereis no $340M.

That number is the figment of a publicist’s imagination. The only thing real about the artificial number is the fictitious check used in the publicity picture - atleast, I think the cardboard is real. Currently there is,approximately $164M is cash. If annuity is chosen by the winner(s), the cash is invested. At the end of the investment, maybe there may be $340M, maybe not. Today, right now, this very moment in the universe, there is no guarantee there is even $164M in cash. Stack all the degrees from all the accountants in the world on top of each other and the best they can come up with is a guess. The real total is dependant upon how many sheep line up and exchange their dollar for a ticket.

None of the numbers are really real, until the money is transferred to the winners account. Then the hype is over, the guess work is over, and we start the train down the same tracks again. Except for the people who have the magic ticket. For them it will have been real.

Gotta go. Time to get in line behind all the other sheep.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: October 16, 2005, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

one quick pick... same as last week... same as next week.

In PA, winners avoid state and local tax... MUSL withholds either 25% or 27%, but you are still responsible for top rate, which is 35%

by my calculations... If I win wednesday here in PA (and take the cash option as I surely would) I will be planning on managing $106,800,000. this is the actual post tax amount I would recieve... they would however give more and I would owe uncle sam a whopping $13,152,000 in addition to the amount MUSL withholds on the 1099g. I would of course pay this immediately using the estimated income tax form. then I am left with real numbers and avoid the tax pitfall.

IF I ever win, my biggest problem will be where to put it (I believe they can do a one-time wire transfer... but where to?) but that's what the financial advisor will be doing. The anonymous part will be covered by a personal property trust.

I find it disturbing that they feel the need to advertise name and location of the second prize winners who win with a 5x on the powerplay... $1,000,000 not worth the risk of these peoples lives.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                    Member #567
                    August 14, 2002
                    482 Posts
                    Posted: October 17, 2005, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

one quick pick... same as last week... same as next week.

In PA, winners avoid state and local tax... MUSL withholds either 25% or 27%, but you are still responsible for top rate, which is 35%

by my calculations... If I win wednesday here in PA (and take the cash option as I surely would) I will be planning on managing $106,800,000. this is the actual post tax amount I would recieve... they would however give more and I would owe uncle sam a whopping $13,152,000 in addition to the amount MUSL withholds on the 1099g. I would of course pay this immediately using the estimated income tax form. then I am left with real numbers and avoid the tax pitfall.

IF I ever win, my biggest problem will be where to put it (I believe they can do a one-time wire transfer... but where to?) but that's what the financial advisor will be doing. The anonymous part will be covered by a personal property trust.

I find it disturbing that they feel the need to advertise name and location of the second prize winners who win with a 5x on the powerplay... $1,000,000 not worth the risk of these peoples lives.

Can you be anonymous in ANY Powerball state other than Louisiana, New Hampshire, and Delaware when the jackpot is THIS high?  After all, everyone will want to know who won and most states want the public to be assured that the game is honestly run.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: October 18, 2005, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

not enough,it makes me laugh,advertised on tv now,2d place award is a special bonus.do they realize how hard it is to get 3 numbers,say nothing about FIVE!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                        Member #12618
                        March 18, 2005
                        2060 Posts
                        Posted: October 18, 2005, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Yep it's hard to get even three numbers, let alone five. But it won't stop many people from buying tickets. Including me. lol.

Dance like no one is watching.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          Mcminnville, Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #3013
                          December 13, 2003
                          3046 Posts
                          Posted: October 18, 2005, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Today I am going to get my tickets early and beat the rush and just in case the powerball has one of the machines go down tomorrow.  2- $2 powerball tickets both with powerplay and a 1 liter pop for $10.  But I think that this time I will buy my tickets in Willamina.  One at the grocery store and the other at the convienent store. 

United States
                            Member #9579
                            December 12, 2004
                            2121 Posts
                            Posted: October 18, 2005, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

such a small population here,no lines at all,pb never won here,probably never will,but when i lived in nj,never won big game also,did pik 4 once for $1400,hooked every since.