Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The RIGGED Jackpot (PB & MM) Computers!

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #119
February 19, 2002
527 Posts
Posted: October 17, 2005, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

First of all, the computer does NOT spit out ALL the possible combinations that are possible in Powerball (which I call PowerRip) or Megamillions (MegaRip). 

Why? 

Because the computer is programmed to LIMIT the number of possible combinations.  So it is very possible the quickpick YOU buy today is the quickpick somebody ELSE bought YESTERDAY or might buy TOMORROW. 

(Note, when they "adjust" the computer, they can increase the likelihood of a winner by letting the computer print out more of the possible combinations).

Second, by buying more than one quickpick on the same ticket, you increase the chance of getting a repeat number on two or more lines, which you do NOT want to do.  That is called "random creep".

Conclusion?  While I will not deny that "quickpicks" have won a jackpot, still, through careful number selection strategy you have a BETTER likelihood of winning than by letting the fixed, i.e. "rigged" computer select your numbers.  (If you buy five quickpicks, make sure each is put on a separate ticket).

johnph77's avatar - avatar
    CA
    United States
    Member #2987
    December 10, 2003
    832 Posts
    Posted: October 17, 2005, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

proof?

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Greenwich, CT
      United States
      Member #4793
      May 24, 2004
      1822 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2005, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Hooray!  Another conspiracy theory...they're all out to get us!!

I met a random creep once, we didn't get along too well.

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: October 17, 2005, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

First of all, the computer does NOT spit out ALL the possible combinations that are possible in Powerball (which I call PowerRip) or Megamillions (MegaRip). 

Why? 

Because the computer is programmed to LIMIT the number of possible combinations.  So it is very possible the quickpick YOU buy today is the quickpick somebody ELSE bought YESTERDAY or might buy TOMORROW. 

(Note, when they "adjust" the computer, they can increase the likelihood of a winner by letting the computer print out more of the possible combinations).

Second, by buying more than one quickpick on the same ticket, you increase the chance of getting a repeat number on two or more lines, which you do NOT want to do.  That is called "random creep".

Conclusion?  While I will not deny that "quickpicks" have won a jackpot, still, through careful number selection strategy you have a BETTER likelihood of winning than by letting the fixed, i.e. "rigged" computer select your numbers.  (If you buy five quickpicks, make sure each is put on a separate ticket).

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm under the impression that QPs win a majority of the jackpots.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
          Atlantic Mine, Michigan
          United States
          Member #416
          June 23, 2002
          1614 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2005, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

QP's do because most people play them and they also fall within statistical norms.  When people buy tickets and use their own numbers they usually play lower numbers (birthdays, ages, anniversaries, etc)

They don't need to limit the numbers or repeat the numbers that come out of the random number generators.  There is such a large amount of combonations that they don't need to.  I bet if you went all around the country and gathered all the QP's for last Saturday's Powerball drawing (it should be about $70,000,000) you wouldn't find a ticket that was played more than 2.  The matrix might not look that big but it really is.

Brad

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2005, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

greg so the computer is jumping around inside the machine with the balls telling them it's not their turn to be drawn.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
              Chicago,IL.
              United States
              Member #2902
              November 29, 2003
              1426 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2005, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

The odds are against you, that why someone dosen't always win every draw and there is a roll over. Someone or more than one person will win this jackpot and then there will be another drawing where someone may or may not win that drawing and it keep going and on and on. That's the way it works they don't need to fix the drawings the odds are in their favor.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                Member #12618
                March 18, 2005
                2060 Posts
                Posted: October 17, 2005, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Is this just your hunch or do you have proof of this happening?

Dance like no one is watching.

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: October 17, 2005, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

The theory is questionable. First of all, the ping-pong ball has no concept of picks, quick picks, restrictions, or whatever. If the restictive number theory had a basis, those with preselected numbers would have the advantage.  To the ball machine, a number is a number, all it knows is the first one down the tube wins; repeat cycle - kinda like sperm. 

It is my personal opinion that the QP option selects a greater spread of numbers then a system will. Therefore, there are more QP numbers available for the target. It is the shotgun effect. The smaller the choke (selected numbers) the smaller the range of targets. The wider the choke, the greater the possibility of a hit. Sometime the pellets hit the small target, some times they hit the wide target, and once in a while they hit a combination. Another way to look at it is: I shot an arrow in the sky, where it fell I do not know!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

New Mexico
                    United States
                    Member #12305
                    March 10, 2005
                    2984 Posts
                    Posted: October 17, 2005, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Is this just your hunch or do you have proof of this happening?

As a filipino waiter in a fancy restaurant once asked me in a loud voice when I asked whether a particular wine on the list was red, or white,

"You don't even know THAT?"

Just grinning.

Always brings to mind a restaurant they'd opened when the Pompeii exhibit was in Dallas... super ritzi too expensive place.... ordered a red wine.  "Carafe?"  Asks the waiter.  "No.  I'll just have a chianti," I answers.

You don't wants to go to a respectable place with me.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: October 17, 2005, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

greg so the computer is jumping around inside the machine with the balls telling them it's not their turn to be drawn.

LOL

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: October 18, 2005, 12:35 am - IP Logged

Anyone ever hear about the time some people tried to exploit the PA lottery Daily Number, by using latex paint except on the numbers they wanted to come up?  Then they played all the various combinations throughout the entire state, and almost walked away with millions. I forget the exact amount. They almost got away with it! I forgot the link address however. I believe the movie "Lucky Numbers" was based off that story.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: October 18, 2005, 12:45 am - IP Logged
                            four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8360 Posts
                            Posted: October 18, 2005, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Anyone ever hear about the time some people tried to exploit the PA lottery Daily Number, by filling every ball with ink except the numbers they wanted to come up?  Then they played all the various combinations throughout the entire state, and almost walked away with millions. I forget the exact amount. They almost got away with it! I forgot the link address however. I believe the movie "Lucky Numbers" was based off that story.

And because of that failed attempt and a few other failed attempts. These days the games have serious security control measures in effect. That kind of tampering with ball drawings has been and will be almost impossible in the future. Unless everyone involved in the game was a part of it and to what end. They can't collect any money since most employees of  state lotterys aren't allowed to play the games. If they got caught spend time behind bars.  

United States
                              Member #13801
                              April 14, 2005
                              48 Posts
                              Posted: October 18, 2005, 3:12 am - IP Logged

Well, let me first say that most of us are looking for any advantage we can get when it comes to winning a jackpot, so I appreciate your post, Greg.

The problem is that the lottery results don't seem to back up your assertions.  If the computers are producing a large number of duplicate numbers, then we would quite often see jackpots being won by a large number of people  -- like 50 or more.  Instead, when someone wins a jackpot with an autopick, you rarely see more than 1 or 2 additional people who also have the same numbers from an autopick.