Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it Legal if...............

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Debzo.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
konane's avatar - wallace
Atlanta, GA
United States
Member #1265
March 13, 2003
3333 Posts
Posted: October 19, 2005, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

"Is that ok to do??"

No, I don't believe so. I wouldn't ask this of a family member, let alone a complete stranger.

I am happy for those who have won jackpots. They invested their money and time and bought a lottery ticket. Fortune smiled on them, not me.

Perhaps my turn will come. In the mean time, I don't feel I'm entitled in any way to someone else's good fortune.

You want to win money? Study and play the lottery. And be patient.

I Agree!    Well stated!! Cool

Good luck to everyone!

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2005, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Damn terrorists ruin things for everyone!!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: October 19, 2005, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Say someone wins a huge jackpot!  Like over $100 million.

And you are a complete stranger to the winner.  You don't know them and they don't know you.

You find out their mailign address and send them a letter asking them to help you out with some money.

Is that ok to do??  Is it Legal??

Of course it's legal. You get solicitations now in the mail from people and companies that don't know you and they want you to give them money, or buy some stupid product that will "change your life". It's called Junk Mail. Doesn't matter how sad the story, it's all prepared with the idea of loosing you from your money.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
        Beautiful Florida
        United States
        Member #5709
        July 18, 2004
        20124 Posts
        Posted: October 19, 2005, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

It is legal but is it ethical.  That is the question.

Brad

Straight, sweet, and to the point. That would be the question. But some people don't have any ethics, let alone know what it means...!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23275 Posts
          Posted: October 19, 2005, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I agree with those who say that people are convicted in the press, just for being accused of something.  People like Tom DeLay and Karl Rowe are prime examples.  If the Democrats want to get someone out of power, all they have to do is accuse them of something -- they never have to prove it.  In DeLay's case he was forced to quit his leadership position because some jerky political hack in Texas went on a fishing expedition and kept going back to a grand jury until they got him indicted of something.  Who cares if he's actually guilty?  All they have to do is accuse him.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4532 Posts
            Posted: October 19, 2005, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

In the words of Sir Walter Scott...Oh what tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive. This holds true for politics, the justice system and indeed the original posters inquiry.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
              Darlington, S.C.
              United States
              Member #3691
              February 12, 2004
              133 Posts
              Posted: October 19, 2005, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Nothing is illegal until convicted - thus, innocent until proven guilty. A car thief is not a criminal until he is tried and convicted. You can kill your wife, and not be a killer. You can molest little boys and not be a molester. Its the American way!!

Thats wrong.. It's not innocent till proven guilty.

Your guilty till proven innocent. And now a days theres alot of innocent people in prisons.

Theres always a problem when people accuse people. One person can make an accusation and have you arrested.

More and more civial rights are going down the tubes everyday..

Shawnintennesse-

As usual you are way off the mark. You are innocent until proven guilty. There may be some innocent people in prison, but all were convicted in a court of law.

You can, of course, be arrested if someone accuses you of a crime, but they have to prove that you did the dirty deed "beyond a reasonable doubt"

"Better ten guilty men go free than one innocent be punished" is a phrase that all people involved in the judicial system are very familiar with. I'm sure you remember O.J. Simpson. 'Nuff said.

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

Shawnintennesse's avatar - British Pint_414_.jpg
                Springfield,Ohio
                United States
                Member #14006
                April 19, 2005
                3972 Posts
                Posted: October 19, 2005, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Nothing is illegal until convicted - thus, innocent until proven guilty. A car thief is not a criminal until he is tried and convicted. You can kill your wife, and not be a killer. You can molest little boys and not be a molester. Its the American way!!

Thats wrong.. It's not innocent till proven guilty.

Your guilty till proven innocent. And now a days theres alot of innocent people in prisons.

Theres always a problem when people accuse people. One person can make an accusation and have you arrested.

More and more civial rights are going down the tubes everyday..

Shawnintennesse-

As usual you are way off the mark. You are innocent until proven guilty. There may be some innocent people in prison, but all were convicted in a court of law.

You can, of course, be arrested if someone accuses you of a crime, but they have to prove that you did the dirty deed "beyond a reasonable doubt"

"Better ten guilty men go free than one innocent be punished" is a phrase that all people involved in the judicial system are very familiar with. I'm sure you remember O.J. Simpson. 'Nuff said.

Your wrong...

Absolutley 100% wrong. They dont have to prove anything. All they have to do is tell a cop.

If what you say is the case.

Why are people sitting in the county jail waiting for a trial to prove there innocent?

And no they dont have to prove anything. If you swear it to a cop. And he belives it beyond a resonable doubt.

Guess who the cops are going to belive...

Barista wrote this earlier.. 100% Correct... Been there done that...

"Our Justice system says you're innocent until proven guilty, but we all know it's the other way around. Yes, you're Guilty until proven Innocent! That's the True American Way!"

If it weren't for Vtracs and STXS where would we be?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                  Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: October 19, 2005, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

i do security work.one night i bought mcdonalds and had a few extra minutes so i parked at the walgreens next door for a few minutes before i had to go inside and buy a couple of sodas for work that night.well i bit into a fry and i have a knock on my car window and next thing you know you know boom i am slammed to the pavement and told i am a suspect in a robbery that happened there last week just because i wore all black and had a black car.they manhandled me and roughed me up for a while enough to where i pissed all over myself and was told over and over that they already knew i did it and i'm gonna go to jail for 20 years.well finally when i told him i was a security officer he asks how i could afford the car i was driving and i told him lottery winnings and he says "bullsh*t".he dumped all my stuff onto the pavement and did not pick it up.finally he says to watch my step and drives off leaving me sitting there in the parking lot.i went straight downtown to lodge a complaint.i called a lawyer the next morning and was told that if i filed a lawsuit i would be watched closely and followed a lot by other police.i finally said to myself maybe that cop had a bad night but i lost a lot of trust in them.i know one thing i don't go to that location anymore.the thing is i didn't do anything and feel i was violated but i let it go.....

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
                    Darlington, S.C.
                    United States
                    Member #3691
                    February 12, 2004
                    133 Posts
                    Posted: October 19, 2005, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Shawnintennesse-

Your debating skills and logic are only exceeded by your grammar and spelling.Jester Laugh

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: October 19, 2005, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

They like to make you think "innocent until proven guilty," but even from my own personal experiences it has been the other way around. To believe otherwise is wishful thinking. It is a currupt system indeed. 

Springfield,Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #14006
                        April 19, 2005
                        3972 Posts
                        Posted: October 19, 2005, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

i do security work.one night i bought mcdonalds and had a few extra minutes so i parked at the walgreens next door for a few minutes before i had to go inside and buy a couple of sodas for work that night.well i bit into a fry and i have a knock on my car window and next thing you know you know boom i am slammed to the pavement and told i am a suspect in a robbery that happened there last week just because i wore all black and had a black car.they manhandled me and roughed me up for a while enough to where i pissed all over myself and was told over and over that they already knew i did it and i'm gonna go to jail for 20 years.well finally when i told him i was a security officer he asks how i could afford the car i was driving and i told him lottery winnings and he says "bullsh*t".he dumped all my stuff onto the pavement and did not pick it up.finally he says to watch my step and drives off leaving me sitting there in the parking lot.i went straight downtown to lodge a complaint.i called a lawyer the next morning and was told that if i filed a lawsuit i would be watched closely and followed a lot by other police.i finally said to myself maybe that cop had a bad night but i lost a lot of trust in them.i know one thing i don't go to that location anymore.the thing is i didn't do anything and feel i was violated but i let it go.....

Thats what im talking about.

Cops have no right to do that.

Springfield,Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #14006
                          April 19, 2005
                          3972 Posts
                          Posted: October 19, 2005, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

They like to make you think "innocent until proven guilty," but even from my own personal experiences it has been the other way around. To believe otherwise is wishful thinking. It is a currupt system indeed. 

Right SirBrad...

I dont whats wrong with this other guy Dirtywrat. He's probably a cop...LOL

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                            PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: October 19, 2005, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

I actually was involved with Law Enforcement for several years, and I still believe the system is highly corrupt. Although not all officers are "guilty," there are many bad apples out there. You hear about senseless/unjustified beatings on the news all the time, and even worse Raids of totally innocent people's houses, and innocent people, and kids shot by Law Enforcement. You can find many news stories about that on the net as well. What was all that training for? Perhaps the quality of the training is severely lacking in some areas, and officals are simply "pushed through" the system.

Springfield,Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #14006
                              April 19, 2005
                              3972 Posts
                              Posted: October 19, 2005, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

I actually was involved with Law Enforcement for several years, and I still believe the system is highly corrupt. Although not all officers are "guilty," there are many bad apples out there. You hear about senseless/unjustified beatings on the news all the time, and even worse Raids of totally innocent people's houses, and innocent people, and kids shot by Law Enforcement. You can find many news stories about that on the net as well. What was all that training for? Perhaps the quality of the training is severely lacking in some areas, and officals are simply "pushed through" the system.

I know there are good officers. Just not as many as there should be.

I know all about searches on peoples homes. I'm a victim in that area.

I guess i never thought about it till that happened. And it's something that probably will always be with me..