Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Im done with Powerball...

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Greg.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
unseen's avatar - 4eyes
louisville, Ky
United States
Member #4928
June 3, 2004
142 Posts
Posted: October 20, 2005, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

I just realize that I could be putting that extra $10 - $20 towards pick 3 which Ive made more money from.  It would be nice but in 7 years of playing Ive probably won less than $100 in Powerball winnings while Ive made enough $ from pick 3 and pick 4 to pay off credit cards, and put a small down payment on a vehicle and trust me its hard enough hitting 1/1000 odds or 1/10000 odds.  So unless there's a pool at work I dont see myself putting $5, $10 or $20 towards a 1 in 146 million dollar dream.  I hope I dont discourage anyone else though and I'd like us all to make $$$.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23353 Posts
    Posted: October 20, 2005, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

You have to be in it to win it - hang in there! Cheers

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sheba2's avatar - moon2
      Newfoundland
      Canada
      Member #22545
      September 27, 2005
      46 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2005, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

What the Odds? how may numbers are there in Power Ball..

Here the Lotto 649 is 49 Numbers and they pick 6 Balls plus a bonus ball for 2nd prize only..

Sheba....

Alabama
        United States
        Member #17830
        June 27, 2005
        309 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2005, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps you could take a few dollars from your Pick-3 winnings and use that to play a little PowerBall.

Remember, the 1 in 164.1 Million odds are for the jackpot. The odds of matching 5 of 5 ($200k) are approximately 1 in 3.6 Million and the odds of matching 4 of 5 + PB ($10k) are 1 in 584,432. While it's certainly true that those odds are still pretty high, they're much lower than the odds of winning the jackpot.

As for me, I favor the Pick-5 games and put most of my lottery budget towards those games. But I still play a little Power Ball or Mega Millions now and then. Hey, ya never know....

Todd's right - "You have to be in it to win it"

May fortune smile upon you!

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

Alabama
          United States
          Member #17830
          June 27, 2005
          309 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2005, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Here the Lotto 649 is 49 Numbers and they pick 6 Balls plus a bonus ball for 2nd prize only..

PowerBall has 55 white balls and 42 "Power" balls.

For the odds of the top three prizes, see my post above. For matching
          4 of 5 white (no PB) ($100.00), the odds are 1:14,254, and for matching 3 of 5 white and the PB ($100.00), the odds are 1:11,927.

nashville
            United States
            Member #7782
            October 12, 2004
            86 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2005, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

You are a smart man Bob. Hitting the powerball is the same as you getting his by a bus. The odds are greater that you will be hit by a bus, then hit the powerball. My money is defintely in pick 3&4. I played powerball last night for the first time granted I studied the numbers for awhile to try to come up with something. Little did I realize after the fact was that most of the numbers that were drawn last night were derived from the number 7 Winning powerball numbers 7 21 43 44 49 Pb29 I did hit the powerball number along with 21. those two numbers are my birthday along with my fiance birthday. I guess not too bad for $2.00 but I average 4 to 5 hits a month in pick3 TN. Thanks bamald Nashville,tn

Portland
              United States
              Member #7262
              September 27, 2004
              111 Posts
              Posted: October 20, 2005, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I may use popcorn money to buy couple lotto tickets ? Why not ? Thumbs Up

I 've learn about many of winners who are older than my age couple decade . Then I  think "It may not my time" ....hehe!!

I like the phase " you never know". It has been happening very often in our life!!Hyper

Good luck to you all!

Alabama
                United States
                Member #17830
                June 27, 2005
                309 Posts
                Posted: October 20, 2005, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Bamald13 wrote:

"My money is defintely in pick 3&4... I average 4 to 5 hits a month in pick3 TN."

I've never played much Pick-3 and Pick-4, but I have to say that y'all have piqued my interest a bit. I may have to give it a try (after doing a little analysis, of course!). Maybe I can get good enough at Pick-3 to finance my Pick-5 playing!

Best of luck to you!

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                  Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4054 Posts
                  Posted: October 20, 2005, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

I just realize that I could be putting that extra $10 - $20 towards pick 3 which Ive made more money from.  It would be nice but in 7 years of playing Ive probably won less than $100 in Powerball winnings while Ive made enough $ from pick 3 and pick 4 to pay off credit cards, and put a small down payment on a vehicle and trust me its hard enough hitting 1/1000 odds or 1/10000 odds.  So unless there's a pool at work I dont see myself putting $5, $10 or $20 towards a 1 in 146 million dollar dream.  I hope I dont discourage anyone else though and I'd like us all to make $$$.

I Agree!

takeemtothebank

nashville
                    United States
                    Member #7782
                    October 12, 2004
                    86 Posts
                    Posted: October 20, 2005, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the post Bob. you really have to do your homework though Its not really about just coming up with a number. You have to track ever number that has ever fallen in your state along with numbers that fall more often hot and cold numbers I dont want to shy you away because if your on this forum there is enough information for you to gather to become at least a little profitable. You not going to get rich overnight but if you work at it like everything else in life you can make money. bamald

United States
                      Member #1826
                      July 11, 2003
                      2645 Posts
                      Posted: October 20, 2005, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Not quite, the bonus ball also counts if you match two of the regular numbers.

(insert signature here)

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                        Member #12618
                        March 18, 2005
                        2060 Posts
                        Posted: October 21, 2005, 1:29 am - IP Logged

I only put in a couple of dollars every now and then. It's worth it to try. Otherwise I focus my energies on other games.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                          Member #24503
                          October 23, 2005
                          159 Posts
                          Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

I like it.  Even with box, straight or split (or the consecutive system, i don't know what the proper name for it is), you have more of a chance to win, than dumping that same amount of money into the powerball.  Payouts are smaller but a win is still a win.

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I used to smoke two-to-three packs of cigarettes a day. I quite a long before I started gambling on Powerball and Mega Million. Considering the price of cigarettes in NJ/NYC, I'm better off. The PB/MM pay off is better than smoking also!

If you can't afford it, don't spend it. If you have better use for it, then spend it there. But, if that is what you want to do, then have at it. I have yet to see any one dragged into the store selling tickets.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                              Member #24503
                              October 23, 2005
                              159 Posts
                              Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

I used to smoke two-to-three packs of cigarettes a day. I quite a long before I started gambling on Powerball and Mega Million. Considering the price of cigarettes in NJ/NYC, I'm better off. The PB/MM pay off is better than smoking also!

If you can't afford it, don't spend it. If you have better use for it, then spend it there. But, if that is what you want to do, then have at it. I have yet to see any one dragged into the store selling tickets.

people can't afford it, but they're spending it anyway, is the point.  that's the other side of the dream.  it's reality.  however, if they're going to spend that kind of money, i like the idea that they should and can spend it on something that may give them more (if comparatively modest) return for buying into the dream in the first place.

so up with pick 3s and pick 4s.