Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

OH Lot O' Play a failure?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: October 22, 2005, 10:57 am - IP Logged

I just went to the Ohio Lottery website and noticed that the payout for the second LO'P was lower than the first, with a sharp drop for the third draw, despite being a jackpot game.

The cash value of the LO'P annuity is exactly 50%. The annuity for Mega Millions is also 26 annual payments. It looks like Ohio players know they are getting a bum deal with the new game.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23275 Posts
    Posted: October 22, 2005, 11:00 am - IP Logged

I personally think the state lotteries need to immediately axe the dopey names for these games.  I can imagine there are a lot of people who would feel dopey asking for "Lot O' Play" tickets.  They probably can't even figure out what the heck it is, based on the name.  How about just calling it "Lotto"?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: October 22, 2005, 11:49 am - IP Logged

LoP should have been an all-cash game with a $500,000 starting jackpot and 50k minimum rollovers. Like PA Match 6.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
        Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1614 Posts
        Posted: October 22, 2005, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I still don't understand how Ohio is calculating their annuitized jackpots.  If they are simple based annuities there is no way a cash option could be worth 50% of the annuity.  Especially if it is the same as Mega Millions.  With todays rates the cash option needs to be around 60% of the annuity or they are misleading the public with those numbers.  (Just like the last Super Lotto drawing they had.  To advertise a  $12mil jackpot they should of had more than $6mil cash.)  Someone should check into that is you live in OH.

Brad

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: October 22, 2005, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Ohio players don't whine about a bad game, they just don't play it.  That is the most effective way to make their point.  If that bingo game doesn't sell like a lottery game, it will be replaced by a real lotto game in a few months.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: October 22, 2005, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if Michigan and Ohio are still considering a joint jackpot game. I would like to see it happen, especially if the cash option is a floating percentage of the annuity.

Louisville, KY
              United States
              Member #15734
              May 20, 2005
              203 Posts
              Posted: October 22, 2005, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

I played Lot 'O Play on the second drawing and won $6 ($2 on 3 tickets). I like it - it's fun and unique.

But, I would love to see a joint MI-OH game...

I thought about this:

Introducing: Lotto Doubler!

Main Jackpot is a 6/49 game. Double Jackpot is a 7/49 game.

Pick 6 of 49 numbers, or use a quick pick. Each Ticket costs $1.

For an extra $1, you can pick a 7th number from the remaining field of 43, or have the computer do it for you! 

For regular players, match all 6 numbers drawn and win the jackpot!

For Doubler players, match all 7 numbers drawn and win DOUBLE the jackpot!!!

The doubler number also acts as a bonus ball, increasing the prizes at all other levels!

Payout Examples & Odds:

6/49 Regular (cost: $1)

Numbers Matched                        Prize                        Odds

6 of 6                                          Jackpot               1 in 13,983,816

5 of 6                                           $2,500                1 in 317,814

4 of 6                                          $175                   1 in 14,125

3 of 6                                          $5                      1 in 921

Payouts & Odds with doubler feature added (costs an additional $1):

7 of 7                                    DOUBLE JACKPOT        1 in 85,900,584

6+0                                      $1 million lump-sum        1 in 1,997,688

5+1                                      $75,000                          1 in 25,466,727

5+0                                      $10,000                          1 in 90,804

4+1                                      $5,000                            1 in 878,163

4+0                                      $250                              1 in 6,053

3+1                                      $25                                1 in 39,916

3+0                                      $2                                  1 in 526

This would be a perfect game for BOTH states... with 3 caveats:

1. Ohio would have to draw it, because otherwise MI will step in with computers, and

2. It would need to be at least a $4M starting JP, with $500K min rollovers.

3. It would need to follow the MICHIGAN annuity schedule (20 years vs. 30)

I go to OH about every week or two, and I would love to be able to play the same games I play there (except MM, which I already play in MI & OH) in Michigan...  Ohio has pretty much one of the best-payout lotteries I've seen (IMHO). I've always won something fairly decent when I go there (most: $500 on scratch-off).

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: October 22, 2005, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I agree what you said NoCompLotto except for the payout situation if you match just the bonus ball. Players just matching the Bonus Ball will get even money returned or $2 because they pay an extra $1 for double feature.

For an extra $1, you can pick a 7th number from the remaining field of 43, or have the computer do it for you! 

The doubler number also acts as a bonus ball, increasing the prizes at all other levels!

Payout Examples & Odds:

6 of 6                                          Jackpot               1 in 13,983,816

5 of 6                                           $2,500                1 in 317,814

4 of 6                                          $175                   1 in 14,125

3 of 6                                          $5                      1 in 921

6+0                                      $1 million lump-sum        1 in 1,997,688

5+1                                      $75,000                          1 in 25,466,727

5+0                                      $10,000                          1 in 90,804

4+1                                      $5,000                            1 in 878,163

4+0                                      $250                              1 in 6,053

3+1                                      $50                                1 in 39,916

3+0                                      $10                                  1 in 526

2+1                                      $7

1+1                                      $3

0+1                                      $2

1. Ohio would have to draw it, because otherwise MI will step in with computers, and

RJOh, I hope that Lot O' Play could be a success. I won't be surprised if Ohio returns to their Super Lotto Plus, but their jackpot starts at 1 million and grows without a jackpot winner.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                  Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: October 22, 2005, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

I like Lot O'Play.  I have yet to not have a winning ticket and I have played every drawing.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                    Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #416
                    June 23, 2002
                    1614 Posts
                    Posted: October 22, 2005, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Payout Examples & Odds:

A 6/49 game has different odds then what you have listed.  The 6 of 6 odds are correct but the rest are not.

The odds for the rest of the prizes are a lot less than what you have listed.

Brad

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: October 22, 2005, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

My calculations for a 6/49 game are:

MATCH        GAME ODDS
                       6 / 6          1 : 13983816
                       5 / 6          1 : 54201
                       4 / 6          1 : 1032
                       3 / 6          1 : 57

I hope Lot'O Play is a success too, but it's not the type of game I play, but I don't like scratch-offs, pick3's and pick4's and they all do fine without my money.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Louisville, KY
                        United States
                        Member #15734
                        May 20, 2005
                        203 Posts
                        Posted: October 22, 2005, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

My calculations for a 6/49 game are:

MATCH        GAME ODDS
                         6 / 6          1 : 13983816
                         5 / 6          1 : 54201
                         4 / 6          1 : 1032
                         3 / 6          1 : 57

I hope Lot'O Play is a success too, but it's not the type of game I play, but I don't like scratch-offs, pick3's and pick4's and they all do fine without my money.

RJOh

I just used some lottery odds calculator to figure those out. I do think that they are a little too high... doesn't seem like good odds (by my calcs) for 3/6.

Louisville, KY
                          United States
                          Member #15734
                          May 20, 2005
                          203 Posts
                          Posted: October 22, 2005, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I agree what you said NoCompLotto except for the payout situation if you match just the bonus ball. Players just matching the Bonus Ball will get even money returned or $2 because they pay an extra $1 for double feature.

Payout Examples & Odds:

3+1                                      $50                                1 in 39,916

3+0                                      $10                                  1 in 526

2+1                                      $7

1+1                                      $3

0+1                                      $2

RJOh, I hope that Lot O' Play could be a success. I won't be surprised if Ohio returns to their Super Lotto Plus, but their jackpot starts at 1 million and grows without a jackpot winner.

The reason why I didn't include lower-tier prizes in the doubler part of the game is becasue too many people would match just the 7th ball and there would be no way to fund the double annuity. They would have to take the prize out of the reserve fund and if that happened, you could say buh-bye to this game.

The point of this is to have a way to double the jackpot, raise the prize amounts with the "bonus ball", and fund a double-the-advertised-jackpot annuity. If there were lower tiered prizes than 3+0 (which may be too high in the doubler version), there would be so many winners (don't get me wrong, it's great to win) that the state would not have a way to fund the prize.

I love Lot O' Play. I hope it stays for a while. If not, I'll submit this idea to both lottery commisioners... I won't, however, expect any sort of reply from them. Cussing Face     No No

Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #7170
                            September 24, 2004
                            49 Posts
                            Posted: October 23, 2005, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I like Lot O Play... I've played every draw so far and have yet to win anything. But it's pretty cool the way it works, I love it. The odds are a lot better than Super Lotto Plus too. Even if an Ohio-Michigan game WERE to get started, I hope they keep Lot O Play. However, almost every time I go into a store and ask for 1 "Lot O Play".. They ALWAYS ask me "What game?" They keep thinking that I am asking for one "LOTTO PLAY". Ha ha.

Youngstown State University Football

7-1

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: October 23, 2005, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Saturday payouts for LoP were down from the first Saturday draw, despite the larger jackpot.