Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

ALLEGED Powerball winner in seclusion

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NightTrain1234's avatar - 8ball
a Powerball AND MegaMillions state!
United States
Member #24190
October 20, 2005
78 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2005, 1:35 am - IP Logged

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1239735

I wonder if he has even bothered to sign the back of his ticket yet.  He could go to the Lottery Commission now and not take the money for awhile but then he would have to produce the ALLEGED winning ticket.

Very suspicious!

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8396 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:29 am - IP Logged

nighttrain not to worry he put it in the safe deposit box in his bank. I wouldn't sign the ticket until I talked to my lawyer and financial planner. I don't know all the rules and laws in Oregon so if he choses to sign it to a trust then the ticket might have to be signed in the trusts name. In either event it in a safe place. If he signed it in his name then he might not be able to signed it to a trust. These are some of the things you have to decide. Someone in his family already said they wish they hadn't bought the ticket because this is turning into a night mare. Their lives are changing so dramatically they are having a hard time dealing with it and never considered they fact that they might win.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:59 am - IP Logged

These so called "first time" players deserve what they get, then again maybe they don't. That will teach them not to do any prior research before playing eh? If they are complaining about whether or not they should have bought the tickets, chances are they shouldn't have. Sounds to me like they were already "well off" enough the way things were. Nonetheless, I would gladly accept their newfound "nightmare/wealth," for them.

Course in my case it would be a dream come true, and I would have no complaints. I was already through the worst. I will be glad to see someone win someday who finally deserves it, or needs it actually. In the case of the cleaning lady for example. Usually the ones who do win are ill-prepared, and ill-advised as to how they would actually handle their new wealth should they win. Why on earth anyone just thinks they are throwing away $40, and do not expect to win is beyond me. I would never invest $40, or even much less for that matter, on something I did not think I had a chance to win.

Regardless of how small that chance may be, there is still a chance. But those who do not have the money to play the lottery often, will not have the same chances. Because there is no way they can throw $40 down like that. It is too risky. For those already wealthy, more money is not going to really help them. It is only going to create more problems. As we continue to see with each new "already wealthy" jackpot winner.

new delhi
        India
        Member #22145
        September 20, 2005
        174 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:07 am - IP Logged

Beginners luck??

Sparta, NJ
          United States
          Member #18331
          July 9, 2005
          1977 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2005, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Why on earth anyone just thinks they are throwing away $40, and do not expect to win is beyond me. I would never invest $40, or even much less for that matter, on something I did not think I had a chance to win.

So how much, exactly, do you throw away every draw - and what is your total loss? Betting on the lottery is so close to throwing away you money, there is very little difference. You would get a better return on a candy bar. Me thinks you're total loss excedes $40.00. Who made a better investment. Them or you? Who threw away their money, them or you?

Also, You might consider, this was not a single person, this was a pool. several members of the family pooled their money. Five members of a poool, equates to an investment of $8.00 each. Did you miss that point? Most people ignore what they don't want to see, its called selective memory loss syndrom.

When you ridicule a winner, you become a whiner!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

whitmansm2's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
            Right here...can't you see me?
            United States
            Member #21521
            September 10, 2005
            131 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2005, 9:06 am - IP Logged

When you ridicule a winner, you become a whiner!

I agree with this statement.  I have to agree with Brad to a point, too.  It took Jack's wife a good year to say she was sorry she won....one family memeber is already saying it.  If you pool together $40 (I'm not sure if that's the amount they did or not) Chewie, you're right that ends up being $8.  No big loss there.  You play for the off chance of winning!!  If they didn't want to win, they shouldn't have played. 

Everyone wanted to win...whether they threw in $8 or $800, it doesn't matter.  I think what's pissing people off, is that the BIG winner's end up saying something we think is dumb, like, "I wish we never won.".  (not all of them, but look at the two major winners)

I just pray they are smart about their money.  Someone said on here the other day, that the best thing you can do is take care of your next generations.  I have to completely agree.

No No

Don't cry over spilled milk.  Go milk another cow!!

Stephanie

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2005, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Most people who make lousy decisions, whether it was taking a wrong right turn, or buy a pizza with artichokes, usually wind up saying, I wish I had not done that. That is human nature. If I lost one of my grandchildren, after winning the lottery, I am positive I would be wishing I had never won.

No matter who wins, or how much they win, the bottom line is: You are, after you win, what you were, before you won. JW was far from the shiniest leaf on the tree, and the spotlight brought out the flaws. Those thousand of winners, you never here about, that are living the ideal life, were the same happy people before the win.

Alcohal doesn't turn a nice person into a wifebeater, all it does is amplify the person normally hid from the public. Money doesn't make you evil, you were already evil, but couldn't afford to be yourself. That is what is wrong with the politically correct world, people are afraid to be themselves, they have to put on a false front. Then, those who talk to them, read what they write, or live with them, never really know the real person. Let something impact that false impression, and all hell breaks lose. Rather than see the real person, you see that smiley, happy face, looking into the sunshine, and making you relax - then they strike.

Cheers

whitmansm2's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                Right here...can't you see me?
                United States
                Member #21521
                September 10, 2005
                131 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2005, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Most people who make lousy decisions, whether it was taking a wrong right turn, or buy a pizza with artichokes, usually wind up saying, I wish I had not done that. That is human nature. If I lost one of my grandchildren, after winning the lottery, I am positive I would be wishing I had never won.

No matter who wins, or how much they win, the bottom line is: You are, after you win, what you were, before you won. JW was far from the shiniest leaf on the tree, and the spotlight brought out the flaws. Those thousand of winners, you never here about, that are living the ideal life, were the same happy people before the win.

Alcohal doesn't turn a nice person into a wifebeater, all it does is amplify the person normally hid from the public. Money doesn't make you evil, you were already evil, but couldn't afford to be yourself. That is what is wrong with the politically correct world, people are afraid to be themselves, they have to put on a false front. Then, those who talk to them, read what they write, or live with them, never really know the real person. Let something impact that false impression, and all hell breaks lose. Rather than see the real person, you see that smiley, happy face, looking into the sunshine, and making you relax - then they strike.

I agree completely.

People are going to be that way regardless of winning money or not.  Most peole have another side to them.  I have always tried to be "real" with people.  I took off my rose tinted glasses long time ago.  I admit there is an evil side to me and I let it come out when it's needed as well as my saint side.  I have yet to hide how I really feel about ANYTHING. 

I personally think society encourages people to be fake. 

"That person isn't fat!  They are just [big boned, thick, fluffy, they have a thyroid problem]" 

"It's not that I dont' WANT to  pay attention to you, baby, I have ADD.  I can't help it."

"You aren't ugly.  It's just that you aren't aesthicially pleasing to me.  It's ok.  Beauty is only a light switch away"

Being PC, has forced most people to throw the smile on and boil inside.

JW never said he wished he didn't win.  He was definiatly amplified.  I would much rather hear the people those happy people that just got happier, than the people that were "bad" to begin with and just got worse. 

(sorry didn't mean to write a novel)

No No

Don't cry over spilled milk.  Go milk another cow!!

Stephanie

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8396 Posts
                  Posted: October 23, 2005, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Well, they could easily get out of their predicament buy giving all or most of it away. Then he could go back to landscaping..... give me a break. Hopefully his lawyer and accountant will set them straight. He could by a big estate and spend the rest of his life landscaping his own property. For that matter he could buy several estates and spend his time landscaping all of them even giving himself a paycheck if he want's. How anybody can win a jackpot and say they wish it never happened just boggles the mind. I think people say the damnedest things when they are in shock. If he didn't think he would win why did he spend any money trying to win. Maybe the lottery's should put a disclaimer on the tickest saying they are not responsible for your shortcomings should you win. Next thing you know people will want to sue the lottery because they won and their life was altered forever.

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: October 23, 2005, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Next thing you know people will want to sue the lottery because they won and their life was altered forever.

Sue because you didn't throw the winning ticket in the trash!! Great idea! It'll be a priority when I win.

Cheers

United States
                      Member #24503
                      October 23, 2005
                      159 Posts
                      Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't trust someone who goes out of his way to make himself known as the 'possible winner' wink wink nudge -- and then complains about a media barrage.  It sounds like someone who likes to play games.  Or likes attention.  Or both.

Perhaps, since it was a family decision (in-laws donated 20, he dropped 20 himself.. allegedly) what's really happening is that this Steve West dude is taking the media on himself in order to protect whomever the family has decided is the real winner... like their 80 year old granny with angina, rheumatism and a bad ticker but a big heart.  That would be sweet. 

But who knows.  Hopefully, this will not turn out to be an Elecia Battle situation, where a woman falsely claimed the 'missing' ticket in Ohio's local game a couple years ago.  I never understood how someone could do that to their children, for a little lime light and national attention.  How sad and selfish.

But who knows, until the truth comes out.

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Personally I don't buy everything thrown into the media like some do. I also highly doubt that this was "their first time playing." But it does make for a better story. Of course it cannot be proven either way. I personally lose on average 5-10 a month, and I do not play the powerball unless it is over $100 million. I also win back quite a bit on smaller games, so I do not do too bad. I have yet however to throw $40 down at once on any game. Maybe next time the powerball is 200 million. 

PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Most people ignore what they don't want to see, its called selective memory loss syndrom.

There is also a syndrome known as "over-embellishment media hype," and I believe just as many if not more suffer from it...

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

When I win, I will also tell the world it was a first time for me. Only, my story will be about only buying two dollars worth. That way I can milk the press. Then five days later, I will tell the truth and ridicule them for being so easy. Unless the Lottery Post shirt gives me away!

Cheers

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: October 23, 2005, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Why hesitate to sign the ticket? That's the first thing I would do.