Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why so much greed?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #24503
October 23, 2005
159 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I've passed through this site on and off since Jack Whittaker.  I finally decided to register today because of a disturbing attitude from some members here. 

I don't understand how adding the Match 5 pool to the ultimate jackpot winner does the lottery any good.  One or two people here are positively foaming off at the mouth at the supposed 'rip off' of not allowing a new record to be hit ('it could roll to half a billion dollars!'), versus making more people winners of bigger cash amounts.  I remember the old Lotto America game.  There were no prizes for hitting 3 numbers, or 2 numbers or 1 number.  The Powerball concept was so attractive precisely BECAUSE so many more people could share in the jackpot.  That was when the Powerball starting jackpot was a now humble 2 million dollars, paid out in 20 year installments or cash' and the big winners, the big jackpots were those which reached the ungodly sum of 40 million, let alone 60 million.  More people played, more people won, the jackpots increased because so many more people won, and most people were happy.

I love the idea of the Match 5 pool being shared out among ALL winners, from the humble single powerball to the 5 plus no powerball.  But I understand why it would be divied up among those who had hit 2nd place in a major record setting jackpot.  How heart-breaking to be one number away from nearly a half billion dollars, and to settle for 100,000 (or now 200,000) or the even lowlier 5,000 prize.  Sharing the pool out means you still have your record setting jackpot, but now you also have more people feeling good about the lottery because if they don't hit The Big One, they still have a chance to hit A Very Nice Nest Egg.

What is a single powerball winner going to do with the extra money anyway? After a while, it's doesn't mean anything when the numbers are that big.  At least, it doesn't mean anything to the already record setting winner.  But it will mean something to those lower tier winners who didn't win the jackpot, but can still live a little of the dream of being a multi millionaire or close to it.  More winners equals more players down the road.

So... again, why the greed from some here who want a winner take all approach to the jackpot?  Why not just go back to the old Lotto America type system, where substantially less people win?  Or -- to hell with it -- no winners at all except the jackpot winner?  you'll have your super mega record setting billion dollar jackpot pay-out ...... and no players.  but that is what you greedy folks want, right?

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

but that is what you greedy folks want, right?

I have a question. Why do people have to start off their first few posts so negatively? You could have just asked your question without adding the insult at the end. Roll Eyes

Dance like no one is watching.

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3333 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

Seems that Powerball is trying to give the best to both groups. 

I believe lotteries are learning a hard lesson that leading people around with pie in the sky astronomical jackpots but not allowing a single bite in lower tier payouts gets lotteries fewer players in the long haul. 

Some have expressed that terms of payout could be a bit clearer, or perhaps the rub was because they assumed the new game would be conducted under the old rules.  Old rules, new rules .... money is money to me so long as they still allow cash option should I be lucky and blessed enough to win.

Good luck to everyone!

United States
        Member #24503
        October 23, 2005
        159 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

but that is what you greedy folks want, right?

I have a question. Why do people have to start off their first few posts so negatively? You could have just asked your question without adding the insult at the end. Roll Eyes

I only decided to register because of a negative attitude I saw here.  I wished to add my 2 cents about it.  The lottery sells dreams.  It really is a tax upon the poor.  For every retired librarian playing the slots to alleve (sp) her depression from losing everything she had saved up a lifetime for to Hurricane Katrina, there are going to be thousands of others who also put their last couple dollars into trying to win that pot -- and lost so that she would win.

Now we have a man who claims to have only played the lottery for the first time in his life (sure he did, just like people here really only put down a dollar or two to win a record jackpot ;) ) with 20 bucks from him, and 20 from the in-laws, and he wins.  How many other families played 40 bucks (or Whittaker's 60), or the rent money, for a dream?

My point is that if the lottery is going to sell this dream to so many people, at least make more people winners when the dream is finally realized.  Some posters here are rather scary with their mine-mine-mine  more-more-more attitude.  As I said, there is no need to be greedy, but I feel that if you are going to be greedy -- and greedy over a dream at that --  a good look in the mirror isn't a bad thing.

The point of the lottery isn't to set new records, or to make you rich.  It's to make money for itself.  The lottery doesn't make money for itself by concentrating all winnings on a single ticket, and then dumping more on top.  Powerball is a success because it allows more people to win.  If all you have to show for a ticket is the powerball, you're ahead of the person who didn't hit it.  The high from winning is real.  And the lotto still rakes it in, through that thinking.  Everyone is happy.

But I'd like to hear the arguments from the 'match 5 is a rip off!' contigent as to why it shouldn't be spread out to second and lower tier winners, myself; beyond 'if i won, i'd want more money', that is.  how does removing match 5 benefit the lottery?

United States
          Member #24503
          October 23, 2005
          159 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Seems that Powerball is trying to give the best to both groups. 

I believe lotteries are learning a hard lesson that leading people around with pie in the sky astronomical jackpots but not allowing a single bite in lower tier payouts gets lotteries fewer players in the long haul. 

Some have expressed that terms of payout could be a bit clearer, or perhaps the rub was because they assumed the new game would be conducted under the old rules.  Old rules, new rules .... money is money to me so long as they still allow cash option should I be lucky and blessed enough to win.

Yes, I agree that the terms of the payout could be clearer.  I know of some people who weren't even aware that the 2nd prize is now 200,000 instead of 100,000.  With the match 5, now you have a pool of money where even if only 1 person won the 2nd prize, you now have 2 multi-millionaires, with a possibility of multiple multi-millionaires, or at least millionaires (if anyone who won the 2nd prize from the last drawing also did power play).

As more people become aware of the rules for the match 5, when the drawing sets a new record, you'll see even more people playing because if you can't get the jackpot, you'll still have a chance at winning a lot more money than 'normal'.  that's why i like the idea (I'll remember her name soon) posted here of not just spreading it out to 2nd prize winners but all winners.  When you have a ticket that could have won 3 bucks, but now it's worth 40 or whatever, that's a lotttttttttt of happy people who are going to play again, and pay more attention to the rules for the next time.  Nothing was changed except that more people are now part of the pay-out.  Same amount, more winners = more money for the lottery in the long run.

I say all this believing that the lotteries are fixed, of course LOL  I didn't know there were 'seed numbers' for each state.  I wonder who chooses which states receive which seeds?    a seed number is not random at all.  I just remember there was a time when a new state entering the lottery meant that the next jackpot (usually within one or two drawings), the winner was nearly guaranteed to come from that new state.

perhaps that was just perception.  does anyone have the actual stats on that? or is that information about seed numbers false?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23260 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2005, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Iesha Kelly,

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's "greed" that causes people to have those feelings.

I also find the concept of needing to set Powerball records as strangely amusing.  I always find the runup to a big jackpot to be very exciting -- some of the most exciting times in fact -- but if it doesn't set the big record there is no letdown on my part.  That's just the way the cookie crumbled.

I also don't take the opinion that big jackpots are a bad thing, like some people do.  Some people think that one person winning $340 million is downright bad.  These people want three hundred people to win $1 million, rather than one person to win $300 million.  I guess that's OK to think that, but that's what state lotto and Pick 5 games are for. 

Powerball and Mega Millions are there to make one or two people amazingly wealthy, not to make a hundred people rich.  If there were not 300 other games that make more people rich, then those people may have an argument, since since every state has a multitude of games, there's really not a leg to stand on.

Back to your message: I don't think the right word is greed.  I don't know exactly what the right word is, but there is an emotion among some people who feel intense need to set records.  I can't for the life of me understand why, other than they are big fans of the lottery, and they feel tremendous excitement when records are set.

I'm glad that something prompted you to register for a membership -- I hope you decide to stay and keep posting on a variety of subjects, because I enjoyed reading you message, and it sounds like you have a lot to offer.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
              Atlantic Mine, Michigan
              United States
              Member #416
              June 23, 2002
              1614 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Todd.  It definetly isn't greed.  Greed is when you have something and want more and more and more and keep it all to yourself.  Now if the winner of this last PowerBall jackpot starting complaining that he should of gotten the other amount then that is greed.  When people on forums are complaining about how they don't like the new rules, people who have not won anything, they are just discussing.  Its not greed.  Its just a desire to see records smashed.  I mean I am glad that more people got more money but I was dissapointed that this could of been the first $400 million jackpot....not because only one person was going to get it....but because it could of went down in the book as the biggest prize ever awarded.  We don't know if and when that will ever happen again.  So once again the word to describe this phenomon is defintely not greed.

Brad

United States
                Member #24503
                October 23, 2005
                159 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Todd.  Are you the man who is fighting against computerized drawings?  I loved that debate.  I, too, hope that it never comes to pass.  There's too much riding on allowing players to be a witness to their own luck, good or bad.  It's a matter of trust and being on the up and up. Those balls mean something that a computer print-out never will.

As for people being fans of the lottery... nah, it's just straight greed.  A lottery can only go up and up and up so high.  Yes, it's fun to watch the numbers get higher and wonder whether the next drawing will bring a roll over, a single winner or multiple winners.  But a real fan, I think, should be happy just watching it grow -- and watching more people win.  It's already hit a record, there's no reason to grumble at it not being even more of a record.   After a while the law of diminishing returns kicks in.  Look at what happened to what used to be the 100 million dollar barrier.  Oh joy, Kenneth and Lacey in Podunk, North Dakota have won 1.75 billion dollars.  Wake me when it reaches 2 billion.   

Meanwhile, how many people have done some very foolish things in order to have a piece of that pie?  I like the concept of record setting jackpots, but like you I don't think that every jackpot should be a record setter.  I don't believe it should be so only because people tend to get ugly and do things they normally wouldn't do in order to have a piece of the pie.  A lot of people will play the lottery when it hits a record... but a lot of people will also spend much more than they normally would, or should, when it gets that high as well.  Spreading it out lessens the chances -- I think -- of temporary irresponsible gambling. 

I say all this also agree with you that it shouldn't be split to the point of irrelevance once it reaches that high.  People don't play powerball to win a jackpot of a million.  They play it to win a jackpot of multiple millions.  Powerball is a nice game to watch because it does get higher than the average game.  So have your super duper winner, but it's ok to spread the rest of the love around, is all.

United States
                  Member #24503
                  October 23, 2005
                  159 Posts
                  Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

Bradley, what exactly do YOU get from it reaching $400 million, however?

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #416
                    June 23, 2002
                    1614 Posts
                    Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

"Spreading it out lessens the chances -- I think -- of temporary irresponsible gambling. "

I believe you are very wrong on this point.  Compulsive gambles are going to be compuslive gamblers.  Just like people that drink to much are alcoholics.  There is always going to be people that take it to far.  But spreading the wealth isn't going to cause compulsive gamblers to buy fewer tickets.  And really what is wrong with "temporary irresponsible gambling" if it is temporary there is nothing to worry about.  When it becomes an addiction or habit is when you have to worry about it.  People can always fix temporary problems....its a lot hard for permanent problems to be fixed.

Brad

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #416
                      June 23, 2002
                      1614 Posts
                      Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

I don't get anything.  Thats the thing...its not greed.  Just the excitement that is created from such a super jackpot is worth it enough to me.  Seeing all the news stations covering it and people of all walks of life putting that dollar down is all I really care about.

Brad

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Nothing wrong with greed. Keeps the stock market functioning. Keeps movies being made. Keeps television series running. Keeps amusement parks open. Keeps cruise ships in operation. Keeps people running for re-election. The key players involved in those areas are already rich, some beyond imagination. Unless, of course, you believe they put all that effort into it, because it is fun. As long as it doesn't harm you, personally, what is the problem? Too much pressure, on you, seeing people want more than they already have? Sounds like a little Stalinism creeping into your thoughts.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3333 Posts
                          Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

I don't get anything.  Thats the thing...its not greed.  Just the excitement that is created from such a super jackpot is worth it enough to me.  Seeing all the news stations covering it and people of all walks of life putting that dollar down is all I really care about.

Brad

It may be a chance for the average person to dream "what if"........ and IMHO that's a good thing to expand our possibilities. 

However, have always maintained that both Powerball, Mega Millions are in their own league and that state lotteries make a huge mistake in attempts to ratchet up matrices of their regular lotto games in order to compete with them. 

Good luck to everyone!

lottoshlep's avatar - super 7-top-over.jpg
                            BC
                            Canada
                            Member #2120
                            August 19, 2003
                            258 Posts
                            Posted: October 23, 2005, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

If you look at the Canadian Lotto 649 Jackpot of $30M ($25US no-tax in-your-pocket cash) and then see how many ppl plop down their money ... about $55M worth of tickets sold here. That's no chump change for a country a 10th of the population of USA. When the JPs are less than $10M you'll typically see about a quarter of that in ticket sales.

It's hype and it spreads like wild-fire ...  ppl who don't normally play are purchasing tickets simply because of the extra exposure, the whole circus just seems to feed on itself. Sure it borders on the ridiculous but the Lotto-Corps know this and play it up as much as they can. Whether someone thinks it's right or wrong they're in it to make a profit. And if ppl buy into it for a bit of fun and excitement so what ...

Next Wednesday the JP in CAN649 is $40M and I wouldn't be surprized if the ticket sales go over $75M ... which is more than $2 (cost of 1 ticket)  for every man, woman and child in Canada.

Calling it a tax though doesn't make much sense because it's not compulsory, no-one is twisting anyone's arm to buy a ticket. If ppl fall prey to the ads and the hype it's not much different than buying a Swiffer mop. In one instance they're buying a dream, in the other just a rag on a stick.

Whether ppl are greedy, stupid, or both is another story ...  Wink

if at first you don't succeed ... destroy all evidence you ever tried  Cool 

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                              Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

I'll say this again and again, if need be! A gambler is just that "A Gambler!" And I'm a gambler, the size of the jackpot makes no difference to me or any other true gambler! The larger the jackpot the more Exciting it makes it! I also never gamble outside of my means! I gamble what I can afford to lose and nothing more than that! "EVER"

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up