Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why so much greed?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Sparta, NJ
United States
Member #18331
July 9, 2005
1977 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

It's hype and it spreads like wild-fire ... 

Churches hype every day of the week - death and damnation; not a single thread of proof, but hey, what if they are right? Maybe I should give 10%, I have a chance at heaven!  Sounds just like a lottery to me.

Every single movie ever made had some shill out there telling you it was the greatest movie - since the last weeks greatest movie. Ever heard a movie start say, don't go to this movie, it isn't worth the money? Sounds just like a lottery to me.

Hype is hype, know it for what it is and you'll get through the life with a whole lot less stress.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #1340
    April 6, 2003
    2450 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Whittaker bought 100 tickets when he won...

the only thing a big jackpot brings out is casual players, first time players and a ton of newbs unfamiliar with the whole concept... and don't they usually win :-(

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      579 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Bellyache, IK didn't have to go negative.  Ask your question, state your opinion, but the tone of the post reflects to me a person who has made a judgement about a segment of people.  If people can travel and stand the excitement of the worlds fastest roller coasters, more power to them.  If others are in the amusement park for other reasons, more power to them.  But there is something for everyone with in the park to gain a measure of amusement. 

I myself like large jackpots, I like a measure of gambling, I love record setters.  So crucify me!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23275 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Todd.  Are you the man who is fighting against computerized drawings?  I loved that debate.  I, too, hope that it never comes to pass.  There's too much riding on allowing players to be a witness to their own luck, good or bad.  It's a matter of trust and being on the up and up. Those balls mean something that a computer print-out never will.

As for people being fans of the lottery... nah, it's just straight greed.  A lottery can only go up and up and up so high.  Yes, it's fun to watch the numbers get higher and wonder whether the next drawing will bring a roll over, a single winner or multiple winners.  But a real fan, I think, should be happy just watching it grow -- and watching more people win.  It's already hit a record, there's no reason to grumble at it not being even more of a record.   After a while the law of diminishing returns kicks in.  Look at what happened to what used to be the 100 million dollar barrier.  Oh joy, Kenneth and Lacey in Podunk, North Dakota have won 1.75 billion dollars.  Wake me when it reaches 2 billion.   

Meanwhile, how many people have done some very foolish things in order to have a piece of that pie?  I like the concept of record setting jackpots, but like you I don't think that every jackpot should be a record setter.  I don't believe it should be so only because people tend to get ugly and do things they normally wouldn't do in order to have a piece of the pie.  A lot of people will play the lottery when it hits a record... but a lot of people will also spend much more than they normally would, or should, when it gets that high as well.  Spreading it out lessens the chances -- I think -- of temporary irresponsible gambling. 

I say all this also agree with you that it shouldn't be split to the point of irrelevance once it reaches that high.  People don't play powerball to win a jackpot of a million.  They play it to win a jackpot of multiple millions.  Powerball is a nice game to watch because it does get higher than the average game.  So have your super duper winner, but it's ok to spread the rest of the love around, is all.

Yes, I'm the guy who set up the computerized drawings petition, and we all need to rally around two things:

1. Hold the line: No more states fall victim to computerized drawings.  In addition, for all new lotteries, like Oklahoma and North Caolina, we must ensure that they go with real lottery drawings from day 1.  I am happy to say that since day 1 of the petition, not one state has converted to computerized drawings.  We must all be vigilant, and not let this ever happen!
        2. Roll them back: Get states that have previously converted to computerized drawing to convert back to real lottery drawings.  We got very close with Delaware and Indiana, as both states had legislation that would have compelled the state lottery to convert back.  Unfortunately, in both cases the legislation never made it to a vote.

On your point about greed, I do not debate that greed exists, but I believe your use of the term "greed" does not apply to people who want to see a record Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot.  That's mixing apples and oranges.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2005, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

On your point about greed, I do not debate that greed exists, but I believe your use of the term "greed" does not apply to people who want to see a record Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot.  That's mixing apples and oranges.

I Agree!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up