Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Plans For Your Winnings

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

How detailed is your plan for handling your winnings?

Very Detailed [ 14 ]  [29.17%]
Somewhat detailed [ 15 ]  [31.25%]
A little detailed [ 7 ]  [14.58%]
No plans [ 2 ]  [4.17%]
I'll make them once I win big [ 10 ]  [20.83%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
md
United States
Member #14047
April 20, 2005
579 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Having been a member only a few short months, some version of this post I'm sure has been posted, however, I don't have the archives nor the files.  But, I'm curious as to people's plans.  Why?  Because the discussion about the Oregon business man is starting to turn puzzling.  If in the next week there is still some confusion about the winners, the winnings and the plans or lack there of, then we have another terribly sad Jackpot Winner. Business man or not. 

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2005, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

As I stated in other threads, I have a folder of all the things I would do with a big-buck win. Shortcuts to fun places, shortcuts to fun things, some I have posted. I also have shortcuts to law firms, certified financial advisers, and accountants who deal with the rich and famous.

I also have a word file that itemizes everything I would need to know when I stopped smiling. It has my lawyers home number. It has my doctors numbers. It has the prescriptions I take, who issued them and the amount to take. It has the address of where my daughter should take her children for safety. It has a note on how she can access my account and get the money for the travel; of course she already knows this, but might forget in the rush. I have a list of "to-do" things; get passport renewed, get physical right away, make sure I pack certain clothes, what to do with my car, my house, the items in the house (throw most away), a note to call my boss and say goodbye, the list goes on. Oh, and a remonder to call Todd and have him FexEx a LP Shirt.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      579 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2005, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Great!  lolololololo  You are very funny.

Tx_Mega_Player's avatar - spider
        BIG D Texas
        United States
        Member #2539
        October 16, 2003
        148 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2005, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Since I truly believe that I will eventually win, my plans are fairly detailed and based on the amount that I win. I understand the odds of winning, and the likelyhood of me winning, but in my mind it's better to have plans and not use them than to need plans and not have them. I have not, however, written my plans down. I just keep them stored in my mind.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2005, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

My plans are based on how much I win. I have some details down, but not much. When I win, I'll prepare everything else. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

Sheba2's avatar - moon2
            Newfoundland
            Canada
            Member #22545
            September 27, 2005
            46 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2005, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Since I truly believe that I will eventually win, my plans are fairly detailed and based on the amount that I win. I understand the odds of winning, and the likelyhood of me winning, but in my mind it's better to have plans and not use them than to need plans and not have them. I have not, however, written my plans down. I just keep them stored in my mind.

I like your train of thought! Well said!

Sheba....

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2005, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Ever stood in a Supermarket and knew you forgot something you wanted to buy? You might want to consider a list. Excitement of winning multi-millions dollars will cause something similar. Senile moments are not restricted to the elderly.

Cheers

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2005, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

I have my plans and the #1 item to do is to get the "Bulk" of the cash to an off-shore account! #2 Keep only 15% - 25% of the cash here in the United States, why you might ask; Because most of my time, about 75% of it will be spent in other countries! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: October 24, 2005, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Why should I plan for when I win big, when I'm not planning on winning big in the first place.

(insert signature here)

United States
                    Member #21574
                    September 11, 2005
                    138 Posts
                    Posted: October 24, 2005, 1:02 am - IP Logged

I suppose I should take this opportunity to thank you in advance JimmySand9 for contributing to my windfall.  Every little bit helps.

Annuities are for Lovers...Lumps are for LOSERS !!!

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
                      Member #3792
                      February 21, 2004
                      198 Posts
                      Posted: October 24, 2005, 2:22 am - IP Logged

i dont really think about this because its so far from reality but since you asked, id buy some things i always wanted but could never have.  probably get a new car, house. 

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: October 24, 2005, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

i dont really think about this because its so far from reality but since you asked, id buy some things i always wanted but could never have.  probably get a new car, house. 

You need to expand your dreams a little. People who preplan live longer.

Cheers

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #1340
                          April 6, 2003
                          2450 Posts
                          Posted: October 25, 2005, 6:04 am - IP Logged

I have detailed plans for what I do with the little bit of money I earn now, so of course I have elaborately detailed plans for what to do IF I ever do win.

a few of the goodies...

1. detailed percentage-based "budget" in excel, I enter the advertised cash value and formulae do the rest.

2. shortcut in "favorites" to quickly print out driving directions to lottery HQ in PA.

3. rough draft of the planned personal property trust document(s).

4. phone numbers to quickly assemble a "dream team" (Tax attorney, trust attorney, 3 different financial planners... none local but all within 2 hours driving distance)

5. list of realtors in the area I would quickly move to.

6. various checklists. (example... things to do when moving such as cut off phone with no forwaring number and terminating address with no forwarding service)

the only detail I have not worked out yet is the actual "Winning" part... maybe someday.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

md
                            United States
                            Member #14047
                            April 20, 2005
                            579 Posts
                            Posted: October 25, 2005, 8:00 am - IP Logged

Hypersoniq-

Your plans sound like mine!  (smile)  Good for you, and when the winning happens for you and I, well, execution becomes the game plan.

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: October 25, 2005, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

Hypersoniq-

Your plans sound like mine!  (smile)  Good for you, and when the winning happens for you and I, well, execution becomes the game plan.

Ahhh - the optimism of youth. I miss that!

Cheers