Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who and How do you Invest your Winnings

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
United States
Member #25019
October 30, 2005
17 Posts
Posted: October 30, 2005, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Well you just won a big Lottery pot and you have all this new pot of gold , now what ? Who , where , what do you invest in? Who do you trust with your new found riches ! You wish to set up to help relatives of coarse , charities and of coarse be able to spend and have some fun yourself but also protect yourself from being broke from bad investments and greedy relatives ( lawerys or financal advisors) and end up at wally world as a greeter in 5 years. So what are the best ways you would invest and safe gaurd your winnings but still enjoy live and help others, be exact in your replys. How would you invest your pot of Gold $$$$$

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: October 30, 2005, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

People have always had an opinion on this subject, but mine was always this....

Open an American Express card account and load the card with the winnings.

If you don't feel comfortable with a bank, well...just loaded it on a card....it's that simple........

People make such a burden out of nothing sometimes......

Just One Man's Opinion...........

Then Just Spend It All...............................................................................LOL.....LOL.........LOL..........LOL.......LOL....

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: October 30, 2005, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

1. tax deferred municipal bonds in high rated municipalities

2. CDARS = FDIC insurance up to 20 millon! http://www.cdars.com/

3. about 50 grand in cash in a fire safe hidden in the new dreamhome... just in case of emergency.

the key to not going broke is having a budget and sticking to it... that's why I made one up just in case, because the one we use now for managing our meager wage-slave pittance seems to work just fine. the time to plan for a big winfall is NOT during the rush of a recent win... and it doesn't cost anything to be prepared;-)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Belle Fourche , South Dakota
        United States
        Member #25019
        October 30, 2005
        17 Posts
        Posted: October 30, 2005, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

With many hours of BS ing at work as to how and what , these are my thoughts to   --- Plan out your winnings into 3 to 5 segmentt of spending , investing and sharing.
        1Keep it quite if possible -who needs to know ????? Need not to worry!!
        2 Plan for the ever rush of family and friends who wish to share in your good fortune!
        3 Spend for the toys and treat your self for your lucky winnings- Vacation- Land ,Home ,shop, Autos ,toys     Big    Screens ect
        4 Short term invesments stocks of intrest to dabble in
        5 Set Up 401K, Mutual Funds for long term
        6 Were I sit buy Land, real estate is a boom right place right market- land is not replaceable!!!!
        Any Investing I would check out at LEAST 3-4 investment brokers - give them the exact same funds to invest and then have them analize each others investments---don,t stick to one broker and revaluate regularely ...any other dreamy thoughts to add on or to make me think my thoughts
        7 Plan out your giving- let it be Relatives,long life friends,church or charities--remember you won the lottery , with the alittle planning everyone who you care for can be a winner , but if you jump and cater and give it a way --there can be lots of sore losers ....

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: October 31, 2005, 5:06 am - IP Logged

Check out these articles. Great info.

www.findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qt=Lottery+winners+%2F+Conduct+of+life

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: October 31, 2005, 7:17 am - IP Logged

I will go to the people that do this for a living.

http://www.luxurylifestyle.com/listings/finance/index.cfm

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

clunker's avatar - 15 1_148.gif

United States
              Member #24620
              October 25, 2005
              66 Posts
              Posted: October 31, 2005, 11:53 am - IP Logged

lol a freakin luxury service, thats pretty awesome. didn't know there was stuff like that.

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: October 31, 2005, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

There is a luxury service for a reason - money can buy happiness. If that wasn't true, the Clintons would be living in Arkansas.

Cheers

USA
                  United States
                  Member #1849
                  July 15, 2003
                  265 Posts
                  Posted: October 31, 2005, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

One thing that is rarely mentioned, however I would like to highlight it as it is my passion. I would suggest investing in Domain names. Take a look at some of the sales over the years and more recent. Beer.com was sold for $80k and then months later sold for $7mil. The great thing here is that most domain cost very little and they don't depreciate as other physical properties do. Domains actually appreciate and the growth of the internet is not slowing anywhere in the near future. Take a look at some of the sales of domain names in the links below... These are just some of the sales. A boat load of sales have non-disclosure agreements surrounding them.

http://domainfood.com/sales/

http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

http://www.domainingblog.com/2005/10/this-weeks-top-20-domain-name-sales_11.html

http://www.domainingblog.com/2005/09/former-undisclosed-blockbuster-sales.html

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: October 31, 2005, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

One thing that is rarely mentioned, however I would like to highlight it as it is my passion. I would suggest investing in Domain names. Take a look at some of the sales over the years and more recent. Beer.com was sold for $80k and then months later sold for $7mil. The great thing here is that most domain cost very little and they don't depreciate as other physical properties do. Domains actually appreciate and the growth of the internet is not slowing anywhere in the near future. Take a look at some of the sales of domain names in the links below... These are just some of the sales. A boat load of sales have non-disclosure agreements surrounding them.

http://domainfood.com/sales/

http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

http://www.domainingblog.com/2005/10/this-weeks-top-20-domain-name-sales_11.html

http://www.domainingblog.com/2005/09/former-undisclosed-blockbuster-sales.html

I wonder how many were forfeited over because the courts were smart enough to see a scam for what it was? I remember several, because they were bought with another persons name; then never used for anything but a shake down.

Cheers

USA
                      United States
                      Member #1849
                      July 15, 2003
                      265 Posts
                      Posted: October 31, 2005, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Owning domain names are a scam now? None of the big sales were EVER forfieted. Business.com, Beer.com, Men.com, great single word domain names with huge value. How can the court take these names? They can't because they are generic names and you cannot lay claim to a generic name with a Trademark. Domain names are an excellent choice for investment, they are just a vaild an option like all other that should be researched with care. Show me one scam out of those domain names I posted and those sold recently. What you are referring to is Cybersquatting, when a person registers a domain name in bad faith that contains a trademarked name or steals profit from a company using a similiar name, then you have issues. Registering a name with Microsoft in it would not be wise and it would not sell becuase the indsutry is wise to this tatic. Generic one word domains pull in large amounts of type in traffic which generates income daily and they have huge potential for resale later. Every industry has seen it's share of scams, why do you think Loans have RESPA and HUD statements? Becuase of early fraud. The domain industry is no different. We are seeing this in such an infant stage, it's going to grow far beyond what you and I can imgaine. Don't belive it and you'll miss the boat. Think the world wide web is a scam or those few cybersquatters will slow the growth down, not for a minute.

A cybersquatter is one who registers to own a domain name that is a trademark of another company, or a name similar to a well-known business or product, with hopes of profiting by selling the name to the trademark-holder

How do you determine who has the rights to a domain name? ICANN's policy says that an administrative panel can transfer the name based on "bad faith": for instance, if the name obviously violates a trademark, or if the name was registered primarily to disrupt the business of a competitor. The name must also "be identical or confusingly similar to a trademark," and the holder must have no legitimate interest in the name.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #620
                        August 25, 2002
                        205 Posts
                        Posted: October 31, 2005, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

CDARS = FDIC insured up to $20-millon are Cds spread across as many banks as you need to cover your bankroll using just one banking source. That would be my first choice.  Info can be found at  http://www.cdars.com .  Chances are, that banking source trust dept. can handle all your "trust" needs too.

Next, I would purchase an annuity or two to keep myself from ever ending up broke.

From that point on, it's your ball game!

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: October 31, 2005, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Have fun. I prefer to spend my winnings travelling and not worrying about anything other then what time zone I just passed through.

Cheers

USA
                            United States
                            Member #1849
                            July 15, 2003
                            265 Posts
                            Posted: October 31, 2005, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

I hear that Chewie. Sounds like a good, healthy investment to me.

CDARS sounds like the right place for the funds, great protection.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              51297 Posts
                              Posted: November 1, 2005, 7:58 am - IP Logged

Select Annuity when you place your bet.