Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PA Unlucky for Life

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Will it be retired before its 2d birthday?

Yes [ 3 ]  [30.00%]
No [ 5 ]  [50.00%]
Can't guess [ 2 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 10 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: November 2, 2005, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Unlucky for Life began in late September 2004. Lately the average of 3/6 winners has dropped to below 5,000 per drawing.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: November 2, 2005, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I highly doubt it. I talked to the PA lottery about it, and apparently no changes will be being made. I believe it will only grow even more so, especially with 5 or 6 winners in the last 6 months. Although I do agree that the jackpot is not great, and should raise with inflation, I like the odds of only 38 balls.

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: November 2, 2005, 11:55 am - IP Logged

brad:

Did you ask them about adding a cash option? Even lifetime prizes need an alternative.

PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: November 2, 2005, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Yes I did actually, but they seem stubborn to change. They claim this is what "the players wanted." I am not sure who these "players" are however, but I sure did not have a say in the vote. But they did say it is indeed "for life" for the individual, and about 30 years for a "benificiary." I think they would much rather pay out so little for so long, as opposed to a large lump sum up front. So that is why they don't change it. I personally recommended at least $5,000 a month for life. I also hate the $2 price for a ticket. I guess it actually only amounts to about $2250 for life after taxes, if that?

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4523 Posts
          Posted: November 2, 2005, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

In wee little print it states A guaranteed amount- Not sure if its 1 mill or 2. Anything beyond that doesnt have to be paid out. On average a 30 year payout  equals 1.08 mill before fed taxes.

I prefer the scratch off game- Win for Life with 1k per week for life. More weeks and more cash! Then the $2 isnt so much to surrender for that chance :)

Sirbrad- I think we should take up a letter of recommendation to the PA lottery Commission . I'd gladly help get our wonderful State reps to sign it since they so kindly gave themselves such a great pay raise recently. Surely they can empathize with needing CASH over long term payments. 

Sirbrad: Did you ask the Lottery when they took this survey/poll and to have the chance to view the public record of this? I think I'll mosey over to the Middletown Headquarters this week and see just what they have to say on this matter :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: November 2, 2005, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

If they want people to play, they got to offer enough money for someone to be really set for life. $3,000/month, or even $1,000/week won't cut it, especially with taxes. You've got to offer at least $2,500/week ($130,000/year) for it to really be appealing. And a cash option is a must seeing that there are a lot of older people playing, and a lifetime annuity wouldn't be practical for them. How about this idea for a revamp?

Pick 6 from 47.

Instant Win Removed.

Still $2.

Prize
            Odds
            Match 6
            $4,000/week for life*
            1 : 10,737,573
            Match 5
            $5,000
            1 : 43,649
            Match 4
            $100
            1 : 873
            Match 3
            $5
            1 : 50
            Match 2
            $3
            1 : 7

Overall Odds : 1 in 6, Overall Payout : 53%

*Cash option of $3,000,000 (less taxes) available.

(insert signature here)

PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Not bad. But I still like only 38 balls! Lol. The headquarters told me that for life means "for life," and I have the email saved to prove they said it in writing when I win. Evil Smile The guarantee is only for older people, and beneficiaries. It does not go into effect unless something happens to the original winner, so they say.

PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: November 3, 2005, 4:17 am - IP Logged

Nonetheless, I have already been unlucky for life the majority of my life, this in fact would be the best I ever had it if I won lucky for life! I would simply skimp as I am already used to doing, and invest wisely. Later I would be rolling in riches. Lep

PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: November 3, 2005, 11:52 am - IP Logged

"I prefer the scratch off game- Win for Life with 1k per week for life. More weeks and more cash! Then the $2 isnt so much to surrender for that chance :)"

True the prize is better, but there are only 4 top prizes left in my area, which would be absolutely terrible odds. Then again they could also just not be claimed, even worse. The thing I hate about scratch offs is you have no contol of the numbers, and they are all 'pre-determined.' At least with lucky for life 'ball draws,' I have some say over what numbers are picked, whether it matters or not.

But I do like $48,000 a year a lot better than $36,000 (before taxes) But like I said, I'll take either! I am off to play for tonight, I hope I at least get 5 numbers for a change as opposed to 4! Better yet, ALL 6! Lep

United States
                    Member #119
                    February 19, 2002
                    527 Posts
                    Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Jimmy, what's wrong with you?  You work for THEM, don't you??? 

Keep the number field to 38 numbers!  grrrrrr

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

How many numbers is not the issue here; it's the lack of a cash option.

United States
                        Member #1826
                        July 11, 2003
                        2645 Posts
                        Posted: November 3, 2005, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I just want a prize that will actually set me for life.

(insert signature here)

United States
                          Member #119
                          February 19, 2002
                          527 Posts
                          Posted: November 3, 2005, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

How many numbers is not the issue here; it's the lack of a cash option.

I disagree. 

1.)The number of number determines the likelihood of winning.  The more numbers, the greater the odds AGAINST you! 

2.) I can live on $3000/mo. minus taxes "for life"...

PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: November 3, 2005, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Agreed. Money is money, and it is even sweeter when you are not putting in 60 hours a week for it. Although you could work part-time doing whatever you want to, and be pretty well off. Of if you skimp, you would not have to work much at all. Can someone win lucky for life more than once? I don't see why not, if so, then we are talking some even better money. Thankfully I only 2 out of 6 tonight, not the usual 4! Lol.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: November 4, 2005, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Agreed. Money is money, and it is even sweeter when you are not putting in 60 hours a week for it. Although you could work part-time doing whatever you want to, and be pretty well off. Of if you skimp, you would not have to work much at all. Can someone win lucky for life more than once? I don't see why not, if so, then we are talking some even better money. Thankfully I only 2 out of 6 tonight, not the usual 4! Lol.

It's bad enough UfL produces the occasional lifetime loser. It would be TERRIBLE if UfL produces a repeater.