Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PA Unlucky for Life

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Will it be retired before its 2d birthday?

Yes [ 3 ]  [30.00%]
No [ 5 ]  [50.00%]
Can't guess [ 2 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 10 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: November 4, 2005, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Cash you should give it a rest man. You don't like annuity payouts, we get it already! No one is forcing you to be a "loser for life." Personally I would be happy with the lifetime prize, I don't need a lump sum to be happy. True I may be "happier" much more quickly, but hey what can I say, I am not greedy.  

I am sure there would be a lot of people out there happy to be 'losers for life' by your definition of term. You don't like them types of lotteries, well you stick to the larger jackpots with far worse odds...Simple as that. I suppose if someone gave you a free "lose for life" ticket that was a winner, you would just tear it up eh? Doubtful.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: November 5, 2005, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Cash you should give it a rest man. You don't like annuity payouts, we get it already! No one is forcing you to be a "loser for life." Personally I would be happy with the lifetime prize, I don't need a lump sum to be happy. True I may be "happier" much more quickly, but hey what can I say, I am not greedy.  

I am sure there would be a lot of people out there happy to be 'losers for life' by your definition of term. You don't like them types of lotteries, well you stick to the larger jackpots with far worse odds...Simple as that. I suppose if someone gave you a free "lose for life" ticket that was a winner, you would just tear it up eh? Doubtful.

brad:

You don't quite get it. I'm not questioning the idea of a lifetime prize. I just think it was poor judgment for PA to offer the game as is, with NO cash option. This is the state, remember, whose lottery is supposed to benefit SENIOR CITIZENS, yet this is a game they should not be playing.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

I would take the $3,000 a month for life. It would still be a steady amount of income coming to you for life. What's to hate about that? It's not like anyone is being forced to play this game. If they don't like the payout system...don't play. Simple as that.

Dance like no one is watching.

PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Cash, I don't believe YOU quite get it. The money being donated by all of the lotteries players is what is actually benefiting SENIORS, not the game structures. The games were not made specifically for seniors, or to help seniors win. The income generated from the games is what helps them. How can you offer a cash option on such an already low prize? Personally I like how it is set up, and it is unique from all the other lotteries. You want a cash option, play match 6.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

brad:

What would you do if PA suddenly offered a cash option on Unlucky for Life? Would you boycott it? I would then make a special trip to PA.

PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

No, I would still play either way. But obviously the cash option is going to be lower than the annuity, so it would not be worth me playing as much then. A lifetime of checks would be a great security blanket even if you are not a millionaire technically. But the way lucky for life is set up, it actually provides MORE funds for seniors over time than a cash option would.

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

No, I would still play either way. But obviously the cash option is going to be lower than the annuity, so it would not be worth me playing as much then. A lifetime of checks would a great security blanket even if you are not a millionaire technically. But the way lucky for life is set up, it actually provides MORE funds for seniors over time than a cash option would.

brad:

By your logic, Mega Millions' $225 million jackpot is less appealing BECAUSE there is a (lower) cash option.

Even if UfL had a cash option, the $3,000-a-month figure would still be advertised.

PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

If you actually cared about benefiting the seniors, then you would be praying for losses everytime, not wins. Lets face it, we play to 'win' for ourselves, not to 'lose for the seniors.' I already said that LFL is far to low to have a cash option. I am not speaking of MEGA jackpots. That is why the odds are so much better for LFL, less payout...

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

brad:

OK. I was in Massachusetts yesterday to play Ca$h Winfall. I _never_ play MA Megabucks because it does NOT have a cash option...yet it's not a lifetime prize.

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

brad:

OK. I was in Massachusetts yesterday to play Ca$h Winfall. I _never_ play MA Megabucks because it does NOT have a cash option...yet it's not a lifetime prize.

Ever consider poker?  Its all cash option.  Longevity is obviously not your strong suit, so stick with five card, seven card takes too long.  For me, any increase in Social Security is a good thing. Not a great things, but a good thing.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                      Member #1826
                      July 11, 2003
                      2645 Posts
                      Posted: November 5, 2005, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

I guess the evil empire decided to come up with another, better low-matrix game for PA Red Devil.

Easy Money Lotto

Pick 6 from 36

Price : $1

Jackpot begins at $500,000 30-year annuity, or $250,000 all-cash. And if and when it reaches $2,000,000 annuity value, the jackpots rolls down to the lower tiers. I could have just had it roll on until won, but PA already has 3 different games that do that.

Prize
                      Rolldown Prize
                      Odds
                      Match 6
                      Jackpot*
                      N/A
                      1 : 1,947,792
                      Match 5
                      $1,000
                      Approx. $5,000
                      1 : 10,821
                      Match 4
                      $20
                      Approx. $150
                      1 : 298
                      Match 3
                      $2
                      Approx. $12
                      1: 24

Overall Odds : 1 in 22

During a rolldown draw, both the money in the jackpot (about $1,200,000 cash) and the money in that draws prize pool (50%) is divided evenly between each lower tier.

(insert signature here)

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: November 6, 2005, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

jimmy:

The minimum amount for a 30-year annuity seems to be $2 million. Divide 500k by 30, subtract 25% towards federal taxes and see what you have. Then suppose multiple winners.

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: November 6, 2005, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

jimmy:

The minimum amount for a 30-year annuity seems to be $2 million. Divide 500k by 30, subtract 25% towards federal taxes and see what you have. Then suppose multiple winners.

That's true. But it's not really that much of a concern, seeing that only an idiot would take the annuity with a jackpot that low!

(insert signature here)

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #1340
                            April 6, 2003
                            2450 Posts
                            Posted: November 6, 2005, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

I don't like this game for the simple fact that it is a $2 game... I don't like that trend (unless it's MY choice like the PB powerplay...)

BUT, to be realistic... they are targeting the scratch-off crowd with that game, and they show no signs of slowing sales (right "Gus"?)

I think we're stuck with that one.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: November 6, 2005, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

True if it was one dollar I would be in heaven. Big Grin Angel About the only thing the extra dollar does is limit me to how often I play, and how many tries I play each time. I hate limitations...