Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quickpick or QuickRIP?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #119
February 19, 2002
527 Posts
Posted: November 9, 2005, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

What the state lotteries will NOT tell you are how many winners were not QP...oh they'll mention their names, but not if they used number selection strategies or even wheels.  But they WILL milk the QP winners.  Why?  So more suckers go out and buy QPs thus enriching the state; however, there would be more winners if one-third of those players used good number selection strategies.  There isn't a lottery in this country that would benefit from publicizing those who used number selection strategies.  That in turns fuels what I call "the Quickpick Illusion": buy a quickpick and you'll definitely win.  I don't think so.  Finally, did you know that the computers that generate the QPs are not programmed to sell all the possible combinations?  That means the QP that YOU bought yesterday could be the QP someone in another place or state buys tomorrow.  The proof?  The last time the MegaRip jackpot was won there were FORTY NINE ticketholders that had the first five numbers correct!  Even if it was proven that fifteen of those winning tickets were selected using number selection strategies, how do you feel that YOUR winning ticket was sold 34 other times??

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
    Magnolia, Delaware
    United States
    Member #18795
    July 20, 2005
    789 Posts
    Posted: November 9, 2005, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

The last time the MegaRip jackpot was won there were FORTY NINE ticketholders that had the first five numbers correct! 

Truth be known, it was "PowerRip" that produced the 49 Match 5 Bonus prize winners on October 19th 2005!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: November 10, 2005, 9:44 am - IP Logged

NY King Kong Millions is quick-pick only. I'll only play $2.

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: November 10, 2005, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Who cares or why does it matter. 

The Last MM winner was a quick pick, single winner.  The last PP was a Quick Pick, single winner (albiet a family thing).  The list is full of both.  The only thing that counts is the win. It is all luck.  It is like debating whether the lottery is a game or gambling (For the official record, the IRS defines it as gambling.).

The majority of players don't even know how to fill out a slip, or what the purpose is.  They walk in and buy a Quick Pick because it is easy.  Some times they win some time they don't.  Placing the number on a web site, or producing a million flyers wouldn't make a bit of difference.

It has the same significant end result as asking a woman how she got pregnant.  Once it happens, it has no bearing on the end result of that prenancy or the one that preceeded it, or the one that follows behind.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: November 10, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

NY King Kong Millions is quick-pick only. I'll only play $2.

If that's true, they got a way to bait suckers.

Alabama
            United States
            Member #17830
            June 27, 2005
            309 Posts
            Posted: November 10, 2005, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Greg said:

"What the state lotteries will NOT tell you are how many winners were not QP..."

For most states, this is probably true (although I haven't checked most of their lottery web sites). However, you can determine the number of jackpot winners who were not quick picks in the Florida Lottery games for 2004 and 2005. They have this information posted on their "DOWNLOADS" page. See my post about QP's in Florida in the "quick pick or your own numbers" thread for links to the specific documents (in case the link doesn't work, my reply is on page 13 of the "quick pick or your own numbers" thread).

From the Florida Quick Pick History document, you can see that 50% or more of the jackpots were either won outright or shared by QP's. Of course there are hundreds of thousands or millions (depending on the game) of losing QP's for every jackpot won by a QP. What's missing from the information they post is the actual number of QP's sold. We can safely assume that the number of QP's sold is quite high.

I agree with your sentiments that using good number selection strategies is your best bet. However, I still add a few QP's to my selected numbers.

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

cahaba's avatar - moon
              Birmingham
              United States
              Member #18850
              July 21, 2005
              82 Posts
              Posted: November 10, 2005, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Mr. Bobb is correct. You can access jackpot winners and whether they were won by QP or not (FLorida Lottery).

Not everyone has time to analyze lotteries. Most people know that it is one big crapshoot regardless of how much time you spend studying it.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you can speculate on what you're going to get through trial and error"

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                Member #12618
                March 18, 2005
                2060 Posts
                Posted: November 10, 2005, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

To me it doesn't matter. You can win with quick picks and you can win with choosing your own numbers. Really though, if quick picks scare ya, just keep choosing your own numbers.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                  Member #1759
                  June 29, 2003
                  1156 Posts
                  Posted: November 10, 2005, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Both methods work "QUICK-PICKS" and "SELF-PICKS" it's just a matter of which one will work best for the player I use to buy quick-picks and never won a dime but once I started picking my own numbers I did a lot better.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: November 10, 2005, 3:02 pm - IP Logged
                    "Well for me personally,  I use my own QP computer generators, and ball machine. Although I do occasionally throw in a few terminal QPs here and there with them. So it don't really matter to me, as I already have MY numbers in the pool anyway. But I have matched most of my 4 out of 6 numbers via terminal QPs however. Regardless, any set of numbers has just as good as chance as any others. Regardless of how well you study stats, or analyze them.

I don't doubt that they want to market QPs as much as possible, because this will influence the 'lazy' to grab them on their way out of the store. But I also do not believe they make a world of difference either way. Out of all the "lottery experts" here, how many are jackpot millionaires? Not many, if any. But it sure don't hurt to keep trying. Only problem is it seems like while we are all at home studying our 'systems,' people are out winning with QPs.

That is after they find them in their car 2 weeks later while cleaning it out, and finally decide to check them "just in case."

On the same token kinda like those "experts" who write lottery books about 'how to exploit the lottery and win.' Even though most of them have not won, they are able to teach others, so they claim, how to win. But sometimes many are just not good at following their own advice."

But we are speaking as if "the balls know," but I doubt that they have a clue either way as to how many QPs are the same out there, nor do I believe they favor making many somewhat rich, as opposed to one very rich.

Sparta, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #18331
                      July 9, 2005
                      1977 Posts
                      Posted: November 10, 2005, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

If every piece of information was posted about every concievable particulate of every lottery in the world, 99.99% would never read it.  One, because they do not have a computer to access it, and two, they don't care.  Most people don't care about something for a reason, and that reason is, it makes not a single bit of difference to them.  How many chose QP, how many lost with QP, how many won with QP, how many choose QP on a monthly, quarterly, annual basis.  NO ONE CARES.  Its like publishing the numbers on the distance to Mars if travelled on week-ends, by both Chinese and Russians.  NO ONE CARES.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                        Member #1759
                        June 29, 2003
                        1156 Posts
                        Posted: November 10, 2005, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Your absolutely "RIGHT" I don't care if Quick-Picks won more Jackpots than Self-Picks because when I played quick-picks I never won anything,and if Self-Picks won more jackpots than quick-picks I wouldn't care about that either especially if I wasn't winning anything selecting my own numbers.Besides as I stated earlier both methods are quite capable of winning a JACKPOT all you need is ONE hit so who cares whether one method wins more than the other.I know players personally that have hit the numbers in the Pick-3,4,5 using there own number selections.The Lottery has been won by players using Lottery Software even though you don't hear much about it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: November 10, 2005, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I completely disagree with the so-called statistics on QPs. The numbers aren't any luckier than other combinations someone might pick. It's a game of chance. I've heard this so many times before, but the ONLY reason why there are lots of QP winners is because more QP tickets are sold. I'm guessing 10 times the amount - maybe even more. Stand in line for an hour and you'll hear just about everyone say "give me 5 quick picks for Lotto" or Mega Money. I've probably been foolish, but I've been betting the same 2 sets of 6 numbers for 10 years. However, almost every time I buy a lottery ticket I'll say "Oh, I'll take 2 quick picks too." So even those of us who always use the same numbers will buy them, which increases the odds that a QP will be the winner even more. The only advantage to buying one IMHO is that, if you throw it away and forget the numbers, you won't drive yourself crazy if it pops up in a few months. When you bet the same numbers week after week, it's almost an addiction (maybe it is) because that dreadful thought that your regular numbers will be picked the day you don't play does enter your brain, however unlikely that may be. I live in Florida where many, many winners chose the QP option, especially with Fantasy 5. But we have lots of tourists who never played a lottery game in their lives who win. (makes ya sick!) We also have schmoz like yours truly who spend money every week. I don't think it really matters.

MollyG's avatar - happy
                            TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
                            United States
                            Member #9019
                            November 25, 2004
                            523 Posts
                            Posted: November 10, 2005, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

QP's  vs.  Personal Selection

Speaking for Texas Lottery.......which still has ball drawings.

The QP's from the Lottery machines at retail stores are "online computer" generated.  So, therefore there is no connection with the final drawing results, since the final drawing is NOT computerized.

Someone wrote above about only a certain amount of numbers being generated and yes, that is true.  Happened in Texas this year, I think.  Something went wrong and they actually shut down the online machines and no one could purchase tickets for a while because the computers were spitting out unusal numbers.  Go figure.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: November 10, 2005, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

I have a dumb question on this subject.  I always assumed that the QP numbers are generated by the main computer in Tallahassee, but I've been told each store machine kicks out its own numbers.  That wouldn't make sense, although there are areas where there is a high concentration of winners. I'm assuming it's related to population. As I said above, I don't think any system matters since there are so many millions of possibilities. - Nancy