Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Annuity/record jackpot

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Will largest US jackpot ever be annuity again?

Yes [ 4 ]  [16.00%]
No [ 17 ]  [68.00%]
Can't guess [ 4 ]  [16.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 25 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
Raven62's avatar - binary
New Jersey
United States
Member #17843
June 28, 2005
49674 Posts
Posted: November 11, 2005, 9:08 am - IP Logged

The vast majority choose cash. And since so few people win huge jackpots like that, we'll only be seeing people making the "right" choice.

Quote: "Choose cash. You can use it to buy a bigger annuity."

After paying Taxes on the Lump Sum Distribution you will not have enough Money left to Purchase an Annuity that is Greater than or Equal to The Annuity from The Lottery Commission.

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2005, 9:40 am - IP Logged

By definition, annuity is futures.  Therefore, you can, in the long run, buy a larger annuity.  You can also wind up with less. You could break even.  You could buy the right items and become another Bill Gates.

Or, you could just dream about it.  Like we all do.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: November 11, 2005, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

You want more, or should want more, so that those who carry your DNA into the 30th Century will have a comfortable life.  Not wanting to increase your wealth is like saying, "screw you future people with my DNA".

I don't want to get into a battle here, Chewie, but you're barking up the wrong tree when you write something like that to me. But I suppose anyone can take someone's comments and interpret them any way he wants.  Regarding my DNA, I have no children. However, I'm one of the few people I know who bought life insurance in her 20s and always had a will and a retirement plan with beneficiaries. If you read my previous posts again, you'd see that I mentioned helping family, donating to charities and giving to others in need.  Unlike you, the last thing I'd ever want to do is flash my money in the face of others who are less fortunate. What I meant by disappear had nothing to do with avoiding taxation and I'm well aware of many international laws, having traveled to many countries. One can certainly handle money responsibly by investing millions of dollars every year instead of all at once.  It's a choice as you wrote. This whole subject is ridiculous anyway unless we're talking about small jackpots.  With millions of dollars anyone could make a life changing contribution to his family and society that would last well beyond his death. 

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2005, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Point taken

Cheers

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: November 11, 2005, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

I would say no because if people win huge jackpots, I think they'll choose cash option. Besides, I pick cash option if I ever won a big jackpot. I hope MM gets a big run and breaks their own North American record.

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: November 12, 2005, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I would say no because if people win huge jackpots, I think they'll choose cash option. Besides, I pick cash option if I ever won a big jackpot. I hope MM gets a big run and breaks their own North American record.

Why want a dollar amount broken?  Why not want a number of jackpots won record broken?  I would enjoy winning a smaller jackpot, then reading about some one else winning a monster jackpot.  The sooner a win, the sooner the following jackpot can start.  The sooner a new jackpot starts, the sooner another winner.  Wanting to throw away dollar(s) after dollar(s) week after week, for a record, makes no sense to me.

I am in this to win a jackpot.  I don't care about the size!

Cheers

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Exactly, I wanted to win so badly a week or two after the $340 million was won, and before they stepped up to claim it. I would be virtually invisible with my mere 10 million or so. In fact I still hope I win tonight, so people can say that is nothing compared to what the West family won, and they can even laugh at the amount, I will be grateful.

The press would not even have wanted to bother with me while awaiting the winners of the $340 million to step forward. In fact I still have not heard anything about the winner who won the $36 million (?) a few weeks later. Did they even come forward yet? Luckily I also live in a small dead town, and have little family. As I said many times before, I am tailor-made for a huge jackpot win. So bring it!  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2005, 12:00 am - IP Logged

Why want a dollar amount broken?  Why not want a number of jackpots won record broken?  I would enjoy winning a smaller jackpot, then reading about some one else winning a monster jackpot.  The sooner a win, the sooner the following jackpot can start.  The sooner a new jackpot starts, the sooner another winner.  Wanting to throw away dollar(s) after dollar(s) week after week, for a record, makes no sense to me.

Agree.  If I won $310 million along with 30 other people, I wouldn't complain! Obviously the states have increased the odds for most games because they feel more people buy tickets as a jackpot grows. Actually that's true. For some reason people get a lot more excited about the thought of winning $300 million than "just" $10 million.  It's ridiculous.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                  Magnolia, Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #18795
                  July 20, 2005
                  789 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

For some reason people get a lot more excited about the thought of winning $300 million than "just" $10 million.  It's ridiculous. No it's called being human with big dreams of winning the Big One!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Portland
                    United States
                    Member #7262
                    September 27, 2004
                    111 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2005, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Hello Chewie: Your words are so interesting and meaningful...

But this is a special game, and you should remember a thing that: you can not choose what amount you will win and when you will win ...and then If you don't win the huge jackpot then another will !!!

so, go ahead to dream..dream as much as we want ...and I think the best thing (properly, similiar to you words) is sharing the money to the need when you were already a winner.

PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: November 13, 2005, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

No choice is a bad choice when millions are involved, and you are already dirt poor. It all depends on how greedy, and impatient one is. Personally I will not be complaining when I win. Even with an annuity I will have much more than I do now, and will be doing a lot less work. But at least I can do the work that I want to do, and as much as I want to, even if I want to. But at least I will be working to make myself more rich, not someone else.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                        Houston, TX
                        United States
                        Member #9841
                        December 23, 2004
                        236 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2005, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

The wrong choice?  Cash, you better believe if I win a huge jackpot, you will see Annuity or AP next to my name.  IF I win TX Lotto or Mega Millions, you will see AP, not CVO, next to the winning ticket shown on the site. 

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: November 16, 2005, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

The advantage goes to the winner, choose whichever you want.  The rest of us will keep thinking how to improve on the previous winner.

Cheers

PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2005, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

The wrong choice?  Cash, you better believe if I win a huge jackpot, you will see Annuity or AP next to my name.  IF I win TX Lotto or Mega Millions, you will see AP, not CVO, next to the winning ticket shown on the site. 

Yeah it would be kind of contradicting to see, "Annual Payments has selected a one time lump sum payment." Although it would very humorous. Better yet, "Cash Only chose the annuity option."  Green laugh