Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Preparation for picking up the prize.

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You've won. What do you do until you pick up the prize?

I speak to financial people. [ 16 ]  [31.37%]
I ask my spouse what to do. [ 2 ]  [3.92%]
I prevent my spouse from knowing. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I contact a tax attorney. [ 8 ]  [15.69%]
I contact a divorce attorney. [ 1 ]  [1.96%]
I stuff the ticket in my underwear. [ 2 ]  [3.92%]
I put the ticket in a safe deposit box. [ 5 ]  [9.80%]
I ask my in laws for advice. [ 1 ]  [1.96%]
I stare at the ticket continuously. [ 15 ]  [29.41%]
I let the goldfish watch the ticket under water. [ 1 ]  [1.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: November 10, 2005, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Of course you are going to win the lottery, and inevitably you will face that interlude between the time you discover that you've won, and the time you go to pick up the ticket.

How will you spend that interlude and what do you do?

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
    United States
    Member #19651
    August 3, 2005
    621 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2005, 12:25 am - IP Logged

oprah and only oprah

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: November 11, 2005, 1:22 am - IP Logged

For me, It depends on how much I actually win. Different games have different jackpot sizes, so I would have to know which game I was actually playing to give a good answer.

Dance like no one is watching.

TigerAngel's avatar - tiger andfairy.jpg
        california
        United States
        Member #23475
        October 13, 2005
        659 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2005, 1:32 am - IP Logged

I will laugh a lot, dance and start packing!!! Dance

Blue Angel  "if you can hold it in your mind, you can hold it in your hand"

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: November 11, 2005, 8:47 am - IP Logged

I will laugh a lot, dance and start packing!!! Dance

I Agree! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: November 11, 2005, 11:10 am - IP Logged
            When I win the big jackpot I'll be renting the top floor in the Hyatt regency in charm city until the check clears the bank. We'll be having a continuos party the whole time. Only closest family and dear friends will be there. My attorney and financial planner will discuss options for setting up trust funds and stock options. I will also be talking with Realtors about some property in some exclusive area where we will be relocating to, preferably a gated community or private estate.

I've always wanted to live in a stone house with several fireplaces. So I will either find one that's already built or consider having one built. I might also build or buy a house down the road from Jack Purcell. (Rip Snorter) And we will pack some mules and go looking for the lost Dutchman mine. Possibly rent some satellite time to help locate the gold hidden there.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              11927 Posts
              Posted: November 11, 2005, 11:35 am - IP Logged

When i win i'll let you know if I told the truth here.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19818 Posts
                Posted: November 11, 2005, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

You can always hire someone to handle all your arrangements as the Wests did according this article:

From the New York Post:

Steven West and his wife, Carolyn, along with his in-laws Frances and
                Bob Chaney, immediately hired a publicist who sent the morning shows'
                bookers a list of demands that rivals any rock star's contract.

Doug Orr, the national director of marketing for the Multi-State
                Lottery Association, e-mailed "Today" execs: "I spoke with Curtis Bennett
                [the Wests' publicist] this morning again . . . I was able to convince
                Curtis that one of the smaller private jets really would not be nearly as
                comfortable as first class in the commercial airlines . . .

"It appears the Wests would like the following in order to give you
                their first live interview: [first class-tickets for] the Wests, three of
                their children, and Curt Bennett and his wife."

They also wanted: "Four rooms per evening for the entire stay at the
                Waldorf . . . Meal allowance for the entire [four-day] trip for the group .
                . . [perhaps] an NBC representative taking the Wests' group out to a nice
                restaurant as a possibility? The Wests really, really want to go to a
                'Saturday Night Live' performance . . . The Wests would like theater tickets
                for a Broadway production. 'The Lion King' was mentioned . . . A guided tour
                of NYC . . . A limo to take them around during their entire stay."

A source from within "Today" said, "When [executive producer] Jim Bell
                heard about the demands he said, '[Bleep] them!' " Bell declined comment.

The Wests and their extended family did show up on "Good Morning
                America" yesterday morning.

ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said, "The facts are: we [flew]
                the Wests and their kids commercial to NYC. We are putting them up at the
                Millennium Hotel in Times Square . . . We told the family we don't buy
                Broadway tickets for our guests or provide car service around New York
                except when we are moving them from one ABC location to another.

"Nevertheless, we are working all our contacts at NBC in an effort to
                get them 'Saturday Night Live' tickets, but so far NBC isn't returning our
                calls. Go figure."

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #21206
                  September 4, 2005
                  949 Posts
                  Posted: November 11, 2005, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

You can always hire someone to handle all your arrangements as the Wests did according this article:

From the New York Post:

Steven West and his wife, Carolyn, along with his in-laws Frances and
                  Bob Chaney, immediately hired a publicist who sent the morning shows'
                  bookers a list of demands that rivals any rock star's contract.

Doug Orr, the national director of marketing for the Multi-State
                  Lottery Association, e-mailed "Today" execs: "I spoke with Curtis Bennett
                  [the Wests' publicist] this morning again . . . I was able to convince
                  Curtis that one of the smaller private jets really would not be nearly as
                  comfortable as first class in the commercial airlines . . .

"It appears the Wests would like the following in order to give you
                  their first live interview: [first class-tickets for] the Wests, three of
                  their children, and Curt Bennett and his wife."

They also wanted: "Four rooms per evening for the entire stay at the
                  Waldorf . . . Meal allowance for the entire [four-day] trip for the group .
                  . . [perhaps] an NBC representative taking the Wests' group out to a nice
                  restaurant as a possibility? The Wests really, really want to go to a
                  'Saturday Night Live' performance . . . The Wests would like theater tickets
                  for a Broadway production. 'The Lion King' was mentioned . . . A guided tour
                  of NYC . . . A limo to take them around during their entire stay."

A source from within "Today" said, "When [executive producer] Jim Bell
                  heard about the demands he said, '[Bleep] them!' " Bell declined comment.

The Wests and their extended family did show up on "Good Morning
                  America" yesterday morning.

ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said, "The facts are: we [flew]
                  the Wests and their kids commercial to NYC. We are putting them up at the
                  Millennium Hotel in Times Square . . . We told the family we don't buy
                  Broadway tickets for our guests or provide car service around New York
                  except when we are moving them from one ABC location to another.

"Nevertheless, we are working all our contacts at NBC in an effort to
                  get them 'Saturday Night Live' tickets, but so far NBC isn't returning our
                  calls. Go figure."

Apparently it's kind of hard to win a huge prize and not be an idiot.

I will tell you the last thing I will be doing is making arrangements to appear on TV shows.  And I would never dream of highering a "publicist."  Rather I would hire an "obscurisist."

United States
                    Member #5565
                    July 11, 2004
                    260 Posts
                    Posted: November 11, 2005, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I probably wouldn't be looking to get tickets to Saturday Night Live.  What a horrible and dull show that's become.

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: November 11, 2005, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

If I had won the jackpot in any game MM or CA SLP, I would let my married sister [if my ticket won in Tracy] or my unmarried sister [if my ticket won in Concord] help me with the finances. Then I would also talk to the retailer and financial people to help us.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                        Member #12618
                        March 18, 2005
                        2060 Posts
                        Posted: November 11, 2005, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

They must have thought that they were rock stars. Skeptical Hopefully, they got the 15 minutes that they wanted.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                          Member #23135
                          October 8, 2005
                          8 Posts
                          Posted: November 11, 2005, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

I would call Jerry Springer and tell him to get ready to have me on his show. If you knew my family, you would know why.

United States
                            Member #24439
                            October 22, 2005
                            638 Posts
                            Posted: November 11, 2005, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I love their demades. It is the best thing then appearing in some tv show. If anyone wants to put me on display I will make them pay. Notihing is free.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #1340
                              April 6, 2003
                              2450 Posts
                              Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

hmm. I wonder if they thought an outrageous list of demands would deter the publicity?

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.