Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Preparation for picking up the prize.

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You've won. What do you do until you pick up the prize?

I speak to financial people. [ 16 ]  [31.37%]
I ask my spouse what to do. [ 2 ]  [3.92%]
I prevent my spouse from knowing. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I contact a tax attorney. [ 8 ]  [15.69%]
I contact a divorce attorney. [ 1 ]  [1.96%]
I stuff the ticket in my underwear. [ 2 ]  [3.92%]
I put the ticket in a safe deposit box. [ 5 ]  [9.80%]
I ask my in laws for advice. [ 1 ]  [1.96%]
I stare at the ticket continuously. [ 15 ]  [29.41%]
I let the goldfish watch the ticket under water. [ 1 ]  [1.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
Magnolia, Delaware
United States
Member #18795
July 20, 2005
789 Posts
Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

What a Bunch of Lowlife LOSERS! Demands, Ha, Double Ha!

A source from within "Today" said, "When [executive producer] Jim Bell
heard about the demands he said, '[Bleep] them!
What A Smart Man Jim Bell is! I'd would have told them the same! Hell the SOB's have more money than they know what to do with and they have the nerve to make those type of demands! That kind of nerve makes me wonder if they think the world now owes them something! For their outrageousness, I would hope somewhere down the road, someone else thinks they as the big winners now owe them something! So far from what I have seen none of them formed an LLC or a Trust to protect them from being sued! And if that was to happen, It couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of Lowlifes! But that's my opinion.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Little bit spoiled already aren't we? The media is nothing but trouble anyway though, so maybe they were trying to make things difficult for them as a strategy, just to see how bad the media wanted the story. Perhaps they thought the media would give up, and they would not have to appear then. Being the media did not "meet their demands." But I think they better start appreciating "what they have," not "what else they can get." That is the problem with all these idiots who win that don't actually need the money, or already have it... 

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

heard about the demands he said, '[Bleep] them!' " Bell declined comment.

That's actually funny. =D I probably would have said the same thing.

Dance like no one is watching.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19815 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2005, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised those TV stations would think anyone who had just won a big lottery jackpot had nothing better to do than fly cross country to NY to be on their shows for ten minutes.  They weren't trying to sell a book or movie, so they had nothing to gain. I doubt if any of those TV executives would have wasted any of their time flying out to Oregon for a ten minutes interview unless it was for a job paying eigth figures. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Tx_Mega_Player's avatar - spider
          BIG D Texas
          United States
          Member #2539
          October 16, 2003
          148 Posts
          Posted: November 12, 2005, 3:55 am - IP Logged

What a Bunch of Lowlife LOSERS! Demands, Ha, Double Ha!

heard about the demands he said, '[Bleep] them!
          What A Smart Man Jim Bell is! I'd would have told them the same! Hell the SOB's have more money than they know what to do with and they have the nerve to make those type of demands! That kind of nerve makes me wonder if they think the world now owes them something! For their outrageousness, I would hope somewhere down the road, someone else thinks they as the big winners now owe them something! So far from what I have seen none of them formed an LLC or a Trust to protect them from being sued! And if that was to happen, It couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of Lowlifes! But that's my opinion.

Maybe calling them lowlifes is a bit extreme at this point. I think that maybe they are just getting bad advise. These demands sound like the work of a "publicist". Had NBC agreed to these terms, I can see the publicist calling up Steve West to say "Hey Stevo, guess what I just got you and your family!!!" The publicist is probably trying to get a long-term job out of this - by getting all these perks.  The list of demands just sound to "professional" to me - as if they came from someone that thinks they know how to play the game. I can't imagine that this family would know which specific hotel to stay at in NYC. I doubt they even knew that these demands were being made on their behalf.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4522 Posts
            Posted: November 12, 2005, 8:01 am - IP Logged

As my mamma ust'ah say- "consider the source". 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
              Member #10720
              January 23, 2005
              933 Posts
              Posted: November 12, 2005, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I would sign it, then scan it in so I could post it after I claimed it, then would go to the store I got it from and validate it. It would then go itnto a gypsum lockbox and at my side at all times until I bring it to Trenton. I would also make sure I got a haircut and my favorite shirt on so I'd look presentable on TV. A few people that are close to me would know right away but many others would only find out when they saw it on TV. Then they'd call and ask for money or whatever and I'd say "Where were you before I won?" or "Run that by me again about my system being a farce?"

I would get a Nikon Coolpix 4600 or better, and a new PDA, and I would later on offer my old PDA (with the program on it) to the highest bidder or just give it to my best friend. I would still get gas at Delta or Young and I would still use my Stop&Shop savings card. Money is money no matter how small.

PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: November 12, 2005, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

"Run that by me again about my system being a farce?"

LOL! LOL

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                  Magnolia, Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #18795
                  July 20, 2005
                  789 Posts
                  Posted: November 12, 2005, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

No one would know I won, especially friends and even most of the family! No listed phone # for me! Only a cell phone and that would be a brand new cell just activated! My old cell would go into the trash all smashed up (minus the battery of course).

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2005, 12:43 am - IP Logged

"No one would know I won, especially friends and even most of the family! No listed phone # for me! Only a cell phone and that would be a brand new cell just activated! My old cell would go into the trash all smashed up (minus the battery of course)."

I don't think you really have to go to that extreme. Just get your cell phone number changed!Big Grin

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: November 13, 2005, 12:50 am - IP Logged

"I would sign it, then scan it in so I could post it after I claimed it, then would go to the store I got it from and validate it."

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I sign my tickets as soon as I purchase them. That way if they are lost or stolen, nobody can claim them since positive ID is required of course.  Remember, the bearer of the ticket is the owner unless it's signed.  I also would never validate a winning ticket at a local retailer. Read the story about the $1.4M dollar winner in AZ. 

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: November 13, 2005, 1:28 am - IP Logged

If you won the jackpot, would you announce it here? Or go into total seclusion? I would find it very difficult not to announce it here on a lottery forum. Besides, we need to prove the integrity of the game even more so...Would be nice to actually see someone win it who actually worked for it with a system, as opposed to the last minute quick picker who does not even know how to play, and has to go have their tickets checked at a retailer.

PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: November 13, 2005, 1:29 am - IP Logged

"I would sign it, then scan it in so I could post it after I claimed it, then would go to the store I got it from and validate it."

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I sign my tickets as soon as I purchase them. That way if they are lost or stolen, nobody can claim them since positive ID is required of course.  Remember, the bearer of the ticket is the owner unless it's signed.  I also would never validate a winning ticket at a local retailer. Read the story about the $1.4M dollar winner in AZ. 

True but I believe I read that the truth came out...luckily.

VA
                            United States
                            Member #18455
                            July 12, 2005
                            34 Posts
                            Posted: November 13, 2005, 5:05 am - IP Logged

Seriously, I'd buy my boss a nice gift in an effort to alleviate any guilt from resigning immediately.

Baton Rouge, LA
                              United States
                              Member #4602
                              May 7, 2004
                              699 Posts
                              Posted: November 13, 2005, 10:09 am - IP Logged

No one would know I won, especially friends and even most of the family! No listed phone # for me! Only a cell phone and that would be a brand new cell just activated! My old cell would go into the trash all smashed up (minus the battery of course).

That's a good strategy. Better yet, buy a prepaid Tracfone for cash at someplace like WalMart or CirlceK. That's a prepaid cellphone with no contract, no name, address attached to it. You just buy cards with minutes on them as you need them. The phone number is based on ZIP code so in theory, you could have a phone number in another state if you want, which would make it harder to find you.

I also plan to move if I win a big jackpot, to a new state where nobody knows me. I also plan to operate on cash as much as possible, with credit cards there is a paper trail and your name is on the card. The fewer people who see my name the better. I'd prefer living a private life, or as private as possible these days.

PrisonerSix