Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does it take so long ...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by pacattack05.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
United States
Member #26084
November 14, 2005
199 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2005, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

for Mega Millions to post if someone has won? For me I have to stay up to at least 1am sometimes to 3am. So why the long wait?

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20126 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2005, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

for Mega Millions to post if someone has won? For me I have to stay up to at least 1am sometimes to 3am. So why the long wait?

well, the individual states have to run the numbers through their computors to see if there is a winning combination. Then it's reported to mega headquaters and after verification it's posted...!

United States
      Member #26084
      November 14, 2005
      199 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2005, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Thanks. The drawing is held at about 10:10 pm, so it’s about a three to five hour wait for me, that is if it’s one of those nights I can’t sleep. Since it’s all computerized I just assumed they would know within minutes not hours.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
        United States
        Member #19651
        August 3, 2005
        621 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2005, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

il. web sight has been putting it out about 2 hours after draw  just watch post after 1am east coast time

Portland
          United States
          Member #7262
          September 27, 2004
          111 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2005, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Hello! I don't know what time is the drawing time ...I have to sleep early ...and will double check tomorow morning ...
          Sooner or later , there will be a winner, hope everyone being OK!

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2005, 12:22 am - IP Logged

*sings* "The waiting is the hardest part..."

C'mon, everybody!

United States
              Member #26084
              November 14, 2005
              199 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2005, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Why is there such a big discrepancy between the time that MM post if there’s a winner 3 am last time and PB which posted at 12 midnight last time?

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                United States
                Member #19651
                August 3, 2005
                621 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2005, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

i can use my visa card and the bank knows it  but the lotto can't run the #'s for 3hours  they get paid well and we should know with a quickness

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2005, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

i can use my visa card and the bank knows it  but the lotto can't run the #'s for 3hours  they get paid well and we should know with a quickness

Actually, your bank has nothing to do with it.  There is a several seperate companies that approve/disapprove.  Then it is a simple check mark again a known sequence of numbers.  Some of the numbers are only bank related, and totally ignored.  The software doesn't even care if you have sufficient funds, just if the special number sequence has an approve/disapprove amount.  Some record number of hits and some match that with a valu, but still only a check mark.  A mark that is in the computer 24/7.

The lotto has to accumilate last minute transactions from every possible rinky-dinky store in America and match each and every single digit in an exact sequence.  Late reporting stores contribute to delays.  Posting a no winner, then a late store has a winner makes every one look bad.  PP may have fewer machines, shorter reporting periods between sales, earlier closing timeline, or just better bandwidth. 

Bottom line.  You waited several days to see if you won.  Watch the drawing an know instantly.  Want to know if you won AND have to share, a few hours will make no difference; you're already floating.  Want to know if any one won, and how many there were; who cares if you know at 3:00 am or 8:00 am?  If you lost, and it rolls, you have to wait until the store opens anyway.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                    Member #26084
                    November 14, 2005
                    199 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2005, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

From....

http://www.usamega.com/

<snip>

11:03 pm - Powerball: The Wednesday, November 16, 2005 Powerball drawing has taken place, and the results are 5-18-20-21-44,

- The Wednesday, November 16, 2005 Powerball drawing has taken place, and the results are ----,

<snip>

11:59 pm - Powerball: There was no jackpot winner in the Wednesday Powerball drawing,

- There was no jackpot winner in the Wednesday Powerball drawing,

So we are talking less than an hour.

<snip>

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

11:05 pm - Mega Millions: The Tuesday, November 15, 2005 Mega Millions drawing has taken place, and the results are 2-4-5-40-48, and the Mega Ball is 7

- The Tuesday, November 15, 2005 Mega Millions drawing has taken place, and the results are ----, and the Mega Ball is

<snip>

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

3:20 am - Mega Millions Jackpot Winner! There was one $315 million jackpot winner from California in the Tuesday

- There was one $315 million jackpot winner from California in the Tuesday

That’s four hours and fifteen minutes. Now don’t get me wrong there is no comparison between the amount of tickets sold for MM vs PB but I’m not sure it warrants the time.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: November 17, 2005, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

The real reason it takes so long is that everytime someone purchases tickets, there is also a ticket printed  at the lottery headqurters.

They hire a 1000 people to look through all those millions of tickets, and find a match. That can take a very long time.

Greenwich, CT
                        United States
                        Member #4793
                        May 24, 2004
                        1822 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

The real reason it takes so long is that everytime someone purchases tickets, there is also a ticket printed  at the lottery headqurters.

They hire a 1000 people to look through all those millions of tickets, and find a match. That can take a very long time.

Haha.  You've had some brilliant explanations lately, pacattack.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

It's true Jag, I saw it in the National Inquirer, and in a fortune cookie.

United States
                            Member #26084
                            November 14, 2005
                            199 Posts
                            Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Gee wiz so through human error they can get it wrong?

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

Gee wiz so through human error they can get it wrong?

NO.....The people they hire,  are all MIT graduates.