Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does it take so long ...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by pacattack05.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Sparta, NJ
United States
Member #18331
July 9, 2005
1977 Posts
Posted: November 17, 2005, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

It's true Jag, I saw it in the National Inquirer, and in a fortune cookie.

None of that counts - unless you stay at a Holiday Inn

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2005, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

It's funny you mention that Chewie.

Last year I gave an hour speech on rocket science at Harvard.

After the speech someone asked me if I was a rocket scientist, and I said no, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2005, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

They know if there was a jackpot winner within a minute or two.  That's easy.  However, it takes a few hours because of all the auditing that takes place following the drawing.  Lotteries normally do pre-drawings and post-drawings, and that's just to audit the draw machines themselves.  They also have to audit all the sales and financials from all the states, and it's just a matter of taking time.

These things all take place so that the government has the appropriate checks and balances in place to give you a fair lottery.  What's the big deal with waiting a few hours anyway? 

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
        United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: November 17, 2005, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

They know if there was a jackpot winner within a minute or two.  That's easy.  However, it takes a few hours because of all the auditing that takes place following the drawing.  Lotteries normally do pre-drawings and post-drawings, and that's just to audit the draw machines themselves.  They also have to audit all the sales and financials from all the states, and it's just a matter of taking time.

These things all take place so that the government has the appropriate checks and balances in place to give you a fair lottery.  What's the big deal with waiting a few hours anyway? 

Thanks for the explanation. I assume that PB and MM have the same checks and balances yet MM takes hours more than PB to post if there is a winner. As far as the big deal I was just asking a question. I have no idea how these things work and thought since this is a site about the lottery someone (like you) might know the answer. It was in no way meant as a criticism.

What are ...

"Lotteries normally do pre-drawings and post-drawings"

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23260 Posts
          Posted: November 17, 2005, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

It may have something to do with the fact that MUSL is a central organization that runs Powerball, and perhaps is easier to reconcile that Mega Millions, which has no central organization running it.  (The states jointly operate Mega Millions.)

Pre- and Post-Drawings are real drawings that take place before and after the "official" drawing, to ensure that the machines are properly drawing the numbers randomly.  Some states report the numbers drawn during these tests on their web site, but most don't.  The only ones who see those test drawings would be the auditors (an accounting firm such as KPMG) and lottery personnel.  There's nothing underhanded about this activity; it's done to ensure that the machines are operating fairly.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
            Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
            United States
            Member #26084
            November 14, 2005
            199 Posts
            Posted: November 17, 2005, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

It may have something to do with the fact that MUSL is a central organization that runs Powerball, and perhaps is easier to reconcile that Mega Millions, which has no central organization running it.  (The states jointly operate Mega Millions.)

Pre- and Post-Drawings are real drawings that take place before and after the "official" drawing, to ensure that the machines are properly drawing the numbers randomly.  Some states report the numbers drawn during these tests on their web site, but most don't.  The only ones who see those test drawings would be the auditors (an accounting firm such as KPMG) and lottery personnel.  There's nothing underhanded about this activity; it's done to ensure that the machines are operating fairly.

Kinda like an auditor making sure that the scales that weigh fruit and vegetables at the market are accurate.

Once again thanks for helping a newbie understand the underpinnings of how the lotteries work.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2005, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

After the speech someone asked me if I was a rocket scientist, and I said no, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

An hours speech?  How long does it say to strike a match, light the string thingie, and watch the long thingie make fire magic?  You musta gave a demo.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2005, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

An hours speech?  How long does it say to strike a match, light the string thingie, and watch the long thingie make fire magic?  You musta gave a demo.

ROFL                  LOL..You know....no matter how witty I get, you are always one step ahead. I guess it comes with having ALOT of experience.

Good show chap.........