Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

California MM has multiple winners

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 11 years ago by libra926.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Orange County
United States
Member #21658
September 12, 2005
31 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2005, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Just heard on the news that a group of 7 employees (lab technicians) at Kaiser Permamente Hospital in Garden Grove, CA won the huge $315 million dollar jackpot.  Glad to know that the wealth will be shared this time.  Each winner will get an estimated 20 million, according to KCAL 9 news in Los Angeles.  Congrats to them!

Luck be a lady tonight!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: November 16, 2005, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Cool. I bet a lot of hearts were beating very rapidly after the news. I wonder if anyone has ever actualy had a heart attack caused by finding out they won? Thud That would not be good. Lucky for them they get to also spread the fame out more, and be more easily forgotten. Any idea how many tickets the pool played?

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2005, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

It's nice that a pool of people won. Good for them. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

Orange County
        United States
        Member #21658
        September 12, 2005
        31 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2005, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Just heard on the news that they each put in 3 dollars for a total of 21 total dollars spent on the pool.  It goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to make one!!!!  Here's a link for the developing story. 

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_320171621.html

Luck be a lady tonight!

Orange County
          United States
          Member #21658
          September 12, 2005
          31 Posts
          Posted: November 16, 2005, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

You could also click on a link to the news report on that same page I posted.... Big Grin 

Luck be a lady tonight!

PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2005, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Ah the old lucky divide by 7 trick. Were those 21 QPs I assume? Yea I am glad here that it did not take a large amount of tickets to win. But I will be saving up for a try at that. Those who spend only a little each time get more broke in the long run. But I am not sure exactly how I would play them yet. Whether or not I would have all 50 QPs generated on one ticket, or go to 5 different stores for 10 QPs each? What would you do?

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: November 16, 2005, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Glad to know that the wealth will be shared this time. 

So you were unhappy when only one person won?  You'll cry your heart when I win!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2005, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Ah the old lucky divide by 7 trick. Were those 21 QPs I assume? Yea I am glad here that it did not take a large amount of tickets to win. But I will be saving up for a try at that. Those who spend only a little each time get more broke in the long run. But I am not sure exactly how I would play them yet. Whether or not I would have all 50 QPs generated on one ticket, or go to 5 different stores for 10 QPs each? What would you do?

How many winners talk about driving to different stores?  They walk in, plop down their money and ask for QP - usually cash, if they have to choose.  They also tend to buy ten dollars or more.  That is the ONLY pattern.  Only the lucky number, from some lucky machine, generated at a lucky moment in time.  Maybe driving around will enable you to find that lucky machine, but, it will be a waste if it is not that lucky moment in time.

Cheers

PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2005, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I would be even more ecstatic if they shared some of the wealth with me. Why stop now right? Hyper Cheers

PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2005, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I might have to try going to about 5 stores, but that seems more superstitious than logical. I suppoes it could not hurt any, with the exception of gas being what it is. However the payoff would indeed be worth it should I win. But I wonder if the balls "will know" how much work and effort that I put in with all that driving, and leans towards my way? Let's hope...Group Hug

PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2005, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I believe I read that if there would have been one winner, they would have received annual payments of $12 million a year for 26 years. Even that is sickening, but in a good way! You could still live off the interest easily via annual payments.

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2005, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Seven Calif. workers share $315 million lottery prize

07:34 PM CST on Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Reporters and would-be millionaires swarmed a mom-and-pop gift shop Wednesday where a winning $315 million lottery ticket was sold, then shifted to the Kaiser Permanente medical center in Garden Grove when they found out seven employees there shared the golden ticket.

The “lucky seven,” as people have begun to call them, have asked to stay anonymous for now, said Kaiser spokeswoman Barbara Shipnuck.

“People had stopped playing because nobody was winning,” said a secretary at the medical center who declined to identify herself. “Now they have.”

It was the third-richest prize won with a single ticket in the history of lotteries in the United States. The numbers drawn Tuesday night were: 2-4-5-40-48 and mega number 7.

The ticket was bought at Rainbow Water, Juice, Flower & Gift. At the tiny sundries shop not far from Disneyland, Raquel Cordova was busy fielding interviews and selling more lottery tickets.

The family will receive $1 million for selling the winning ticket.

A couple of years ago, owners Guadalupe and Jose Cordova were considering selling the store but changed their minds, their daughter said.

“My mom's like 'no, no, someday I'll hit it big and I'll be able to retire,” said Raquel, 20.

Her mother was shaking after receiving the telephone call notifying her of the win, her daughter said. Guadalupe, 52, and Jose, 53, decided to take the day off and let their kids work, Raquel said.

“Mom's gonna take a long vacation ... she's here seven days a week, even on Sundays,” Raquel said.

As for her father, “he's too excited. He can't work,” she said.

Her sister, 18-year-old Mayra, also works at the store after school and her brother, Jose Jr., 29, used to man the counter when he was younger, Raquel said.

Her parents are considering taking a vacation in Las Vegas but Raquel said she is holding out for Brazil.

The store has sold dozens of other winning tickets over the six or seven years it has been in business, and they were pasted on the wall. But most were for around $25 or $50. The largest was just over $1,000.

Most of those who purchase the lottery tickets are regular customers but the store actually sold fewer tickets than usual Tuesday, Raquel said.

Often, customers promise to share the wealth if they win.

“There was a guy who was telling my sister, 'I'm gonna buy you a Mercedes. So we're waiting for that guy,” Raquel said. “Maybe he'll bring two separate keys.”

Just last month, an Oregon family claimed the largest jackpot in U.S. lottery history won by a single ticket, $340 million. The numbers were drawn Oct. 19 in the other big multistate lottery, Powerball. Until then, the richest undivided lottery jackpot in U.S. history was the $314.9 million Powerball jackpot won by a West Virginia man on Christmas Day 2002.

On May 9, 2000, the jackpot for the Big Game – the forerunner of Mega Millions – grew to $363 million. But that record amount wound up being split between two winning tickets.

In addition to the grand prize winner Wednesday, three players matched all five numbers but not the mega ball number. They will receive prizes of $256,171 each.

An additional 22 players matched four numbers, plus the mega ball – good for prizes of $9,527 each.

In addition to California, Mega Millions is played in Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/111705dntexlotto.669bb1a0.html

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:36 am - IP Logged

I'm happy for the store owners. Sounds as if they've worked very hard to have their own business. Now they can enjoy even more of the American Dream.

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: November 17, 2005, 9:53 am - IP Logged

I am always glad to see some one who works (versus shows up) and betters themselves.  It takes guts to go out on your own and accomplish something.

However, doesn't having seven people split the jackpot defeat the purpose of wanting a large jackpot?  You, supposedly, want to win a large jackpot, so you have have the unlimited dream.  Instead, they now have the standard dream.  Being the single winner and investing, say, $100 million dollars, is a superior dream.  Being a muulti-winner, and investing $10 or $15 million dollars, is a dream, but not a superior dream.

Cheers

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: November 17, 2005, 9:56 am - IP Logged

I believe I read that if there would have been one winner, they would have received annual payments of $12 million a year for 26 years. Even that is sickening, but in a good way! You could still live off the interest easily via annual payments.

brad:

Yes, it'll be sickening if they choose annuity Mad