Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

After you win the lottery?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by rundown99.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: November 17, 2005, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone I'm new to the lottery post.  I really enjoy this website it has much more info than state lottery websites or even Powerball or MM websites.   Anyways I was curious as to a few details of wining the lottery, first how do you verify you're ticket is the winner? I mean i always check the paper and several websites, but I wouldn't go to the gas station where I buy tickets they have big mouths and the local newsstation would be there before I could get out of the parking lot.  Second do you think if you had a Huge jackpot win of say 300 million +  the lottery people might provide you with security? OR would that be an unreasonable demand?  Is it wise to hire an PR person?  I know this sounds like something weird to do but if you are the single winner of a Recordbreaking Mega jackpot the media isn't going to be happy with an Anonymous trust claiming the prize and disappering! So if you do have to deal with media people would it be better to have a PR person who knows how to deal with the media types?  So you don't end up demanding things and look dumb like the Wests.  You could always fire them later and say they didn't have my knowledge demanding these items :)  OK sorry this post is so long i'm kind of longwinded!  Last question do you think if you've been a customer of a bank for a pretty long time 10 years and know the people there, do you think you can negotiate a small loan after winning the lottery as i've read it takes up to 2 weeks for the Lottery people to transfer the money? By Loan i mean at least $50,000 so I could get out of the country and wait for my lotto check on the beach at Cabo drinking margaritas? 

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2005, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the post.

I would do a search on this here at the post, since this subject has not only been beaten to death, but beaten by a dead horse, that was also beaten. LOL>>>>

As for your last question, yes, I'm sure any bank in the world would lend you as much as you wanted.

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2005, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

One every ticket is a telephone number.  Dial it.  If it is a winner, the cost doesn't count.  If it is a loser, then ....

Between now, and the actual win, try reading the posts all ready on the forum.  The answers are there 20 or 30 times.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
        United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:14 pm - IP Logged
        Hi and welcome to the board, I’m new here as well. Common sense would dictate you need a lawyer, a cpa and a financial planner maybe even an insurance adviser also a tax attorney would be a good idea as well. Many winners use advisers to set up trusts and partnerships for minimizing taxes, directing charitable giving and estate planning.

You may want to move and get an unlisted phone number. I would take pictures while holding the ticket, photocopy it front and back, and then put it away for safekeeping.

Good luck PNT.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the board! =)

Dance like no one is watching.

Preppy's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
            Los Angeles County, CA
            United States
            Member #2161
            August 24, 2003
            30 Posts
            Posted: November 17, 2005, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Welcome,

I would concentrate on using the following search terms:

Anonymous

Taxes

Trusts

Limited Partnership

Irish woman Euro Millions or Dolores McNamara Euro Millions

Jack Whittaker Powerball

Bankruptcy

Lawyer or Attorney

Search In: Subject and Message Body

Date Range: All History

“Anyways I was curious as to a few details of wining the lottery, first how do you verify you're ticket is the winner? I mean i always check the paper and several websites, but I wouldn't go to the gas station where I buy tickets they have big mouths and the local newsstation would be there before I could get out of the parking lot.”

Just go to any lottery retailer other than the store that sold the current winning ticket and ask for a print out of the winning numbers.  In the privacy of your own home compare the tickets.   Definitely, do the photocopying and picture taking suggestion.

I know this sounds like something weird to do but if you are the single winner of a Record-breaking Mega jackpot the media isn't going to be happy with an Anonymous trust claiming the prize and disappearing!”

So what!  If you don’t look out for yourself, no-one else will!

Your group or you won 315 million. Every charity, needy person, ex-lover, ex-spouse, long lost friend, or charlatan will send you a letter, try to contact you, or have his or her hand out.

Read the articles about the Irish woman Euro Millions and Jack Whittaker Powerball.

Last question do you think if you've been a customer of a bank for a pretty long time 10 years and know the people there, do you think you can negotiate a small loan after winning the lottery as i've read it takes up to 2 weeks for the Lottery people to transfer the money? By Loan i mean at least $50,000 so I could get out of the country and wait for my lotto check on the beach at Cabo drinking margaritas?”

NO!

Control yourself, don’t spend a dime until you have a complete life and financial plan (if you don’t have one already) and stay wealthy for the rest of your life.

The past, present, and future rags to riches back to rags people will tell you it is perfectly fine to borrow and buy everything.

Read the articles about Bankruptcy.

Good luck!!

Alabama
              United States
              Member #17830
              June 27, 2005
              309 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2005, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

The following threads will provide some useful information:

"Planning On Winning A Jackpot?" http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/122659

"Lottery horror stories" http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/121205

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2005, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Preppy:

Don't forget health insurance.  No sense spending every you won on medical bills.  Think of it as a LLC for the sick.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                  Member #26330
                  November 16, 2005
                  330 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2005, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info guys. I'll search the site for the info, sorry to bring up a subject that's been "beaten to death" but one day I WILL win!! And when I do I'm going to appretiate having put together a plan. I do plan to claim as an a trust or LLC, but if it is a HUGE jackpot I doubt the media will leave you alone. That's why AFTER consulting attorney's and tax advisors, and getting investment advice I want to get a small amount of money and get out of my town.  I live in a small town and would get no peace and quiet!! That's why I'd prefer to get a small advance and sip magarita's look at senorita's in mexico

Wink

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                    Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                    United States
                    Member #26084
                    November 14, 2005
                    199 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2005, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

A few more links I have bookmarked over the years.

MSN The Basics You've won the lottery! Now what?
                    http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/P43409.asp

What To Do Before and After You Win the Lottery

By ROB SANFORD, CFP

**This link already posted in past topic threads**

CNN If you hold a winning Powerball ticket

Michael Boone, certified financial planner to winners

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/trends/08/22/lottery.financial.planner.focus/index.html

You've Won the Lottery. Now What?

Author(s):Sheridan Johnson

http://www.legalzoom.com/articles/article_content/article5475.html

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                      Member #567
                      August 14, 2002
                      482 Posts
                      Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Honestly

I think that it would be better to win it in a state where you can be anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!