Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$315 Million Winners Still Working

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by bellyache.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MichiganHopeful's avatar - WINGS

United States
Member #547
August 8, 2002
134 Posts
Posted: November 17, 2005, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

$315 million jackpot winners still on the job

Owners of California store that sold ticket get $1 million

Updated: 8:34 a.m. ET Nov. 17, 2005

ANAHEIM, Calif. - A secretary and six laboratory workers at Kaiser Permanente held the winning ticket for the $315 million Mega Millions jackpot — but they still came into work, a company spokeswoman said.

The jackpot was the third-richest prize won with a single ticket in the history of lotteries in the United States.

The winners, who each chipped in $3 for the ticket, came into work Wednesday at the medical center in Garden Grove anyway, said Kaiser spokeswoman Barbara Shipnuck.

“They bought the entire staff lunch to celebrate,” said Shipnuck. “For now, they all prefer to stay anonymous.”

The ticket was bought at Rainbow Water, Juice, Flower & Gift, not far from Disneyland, where the owners will receive $1 million.

Owners Guadalupe and Jose Cordova, both 53, were considering selling the store a couple of years ago but changed their minds, said their daughter, Raquel Cordova.

“My mom’s like, ’No, no, someday I’ll hit it big and I’ll be able to retire,”’ Raquel Cordova said.

A long vacation
The couple, who immigrated to the United States from Mexico as teenagers, decided to take Wednesday off and let their kids work.

“Mom’s gonna take a long vacation ... she’s here seven days a week, even on Sundays,” Raquel Cordova said.

Last month in Oregon, a family claimed the largest jackpot in U.S. lottery history won by a single ticket, $340 million. The numbers were drawn Oct. 19 in the other big multistate lottery, Powerball. Until then, the richest undivided lottery jackpot in U.S. history was the $314.9 million Powerball jackpot won by a West Virginia man on Christmas Day 2002.

In addition to California, Mega Millions is played in Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4524 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2005, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

thanks for the news article! Mortgages and car payments still  need paid until the money is claimed. Makes sense they are retaining their jobs. 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2005, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Of course they came to work...They have nothing until the ticket is validated and they have had a chance to meet with the financial advisors, tax attorneys, etc...

They will get the chance to "resign" very soon.......

United States
        Member #24439
        October 22, 2005
        638 Posts
        Posted: November 17, 2005, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Two reasons

1. It is a whole lot different when you have the money sitting in your back acount.

2. Who will miss an oppurtunity to rub it on other coworkers faces - oh the joy! Well, the gonna reminisce about their luck somewhere, especially the place that has enslaved us ALL.

Real question, how many will return to work next month?

new delhi
          India
          Member #22145
          September 20, 2005
          174 Posts
          Posted: November 17, 2005, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Two reasons

1. It is a whole lot different when you have the money sitting in your back acount.

2. Who will miss an oppurtunity to rub it on other coworkers faces - oh the joy! Well, the gonna reminisce about their luck somewhere, especially the place that has enslaved us ALL.

Absolutely!

Also, I'm feeling much better now that I've found out it isn't one winner!!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: November 17, 2005, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Two reasons

I suppose if you hate your coworkers you would do that, but they probably went into work because they don't actually have their money yet and still have to pay bills and such.

Dance like no one is watching.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2005, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Must be nice to be able to remain anonymous. But I think it actually causes more attention. Had they relayed their names, I would have forgotten them in about a week. But since they are so content at hiding their names, all I can think about is finding out who they are.

United States
                Member #24439
                October 22, 2005
                638 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2005, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Two reasons

I suppose if you hate your coworkers you would do that, but they probably went into work because they don't actually have their money yet and still have to pay bills and such.

People are competitors by nature or other. But I guess you would share your winnings with your coworkers.

United States
                  Member #12618
                  March 18, 2005
                  2060 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2005, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

If I won it on my own then no I wouldn't. If I was in a pool with other coworkers then I would. At least I would with those that chipped in. What does that have to do with going to work until you get the check?

United States
                    Member #1759
                    June 29, 2003
                    1156 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2005, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely quit after recieving my money

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts
                      Posted: November 17, 2005, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely quit after recieving my money

So would I. At least until I got the check in my hands.

United States
                        Member #10720
                        January 23, 2005
                        933 Posts
                        Posted: November 18, 2005, 12:51 am - IP Logged

I'd be afraid of getting bored, and finding new things to worry about that money can't easily solve, but would rather have more money than less money any day! Part of the fun is playing, so the big let down would be not caring if I hit the Pick 3 again.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:00 am - IP Logged

(1) I would never "rub it" in someone's face. It has nothing to do with being competitive. It isn't the Olympics or Jeopardy.  It just means you got lucky. (2) If I worked in a place where I respected my coworkers and my supervisors, I would always give proper notice. Walking out on a place can create havoc & chaos for everyone and in this case, there are 7 of them.  If my boss was a jerk I would probably just leave after I got my paycheck, but I wouldn't let anyone know I won.  (if I weren't in a company pool)  Even if I won millions, why would I walk out in the middle of the week? Right now having lots of money would have a HUGE impact on my life, but I hope it wouldn't change my character.

Anyway, maybe they like their jobs!

United States
                            Member #1759
                            June 29, 2003
                            1156 Posts
                            Posted: November 18, 2005, 8:33 am - IP Logged

Jobs are not as secure as they use to be plus employers don't have  a problem "laying" us off when times are tough so I don't feel sorry for quitting in the middle,end or beginning of the week.I could never get bored with  "Millions" of dollars because I know I can do whatever I want even if it's just being lazy around the house in my underwear.It's the FREEDOM you have from a Lottery win not about what you can buy or show off to friends,you can go wherever you want places you might not have been able to see before.Hawaii,go on a cruise take your wife on a Romantic getaway or a special night at home surprise her with some special gift on your anniversary.And if your sick you don't have too worry about "sick days" because everyday is "your day" not your employer.Now that's what I call "LIVING"

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                              Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:10 am - IP Logged

Must be nice to be able to remain anonymous. But I think it actually causes more attention. Had they relayed their names, I would have forgotten them in about a week. But since they are so content at hiding their names, all I can think about is finding out who they are.

They can only remain anonymous for now! When the lottery has the meet the press at lottery headquarters to present them all with the big paper check, their names will be released, that's California's law to show it's transparency and legitimacy to the people of California.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up