Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$315 Million Winners Still Working

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by bellyache.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

Jobs are not as secure as they use to be plus employers don't have  a problem "laying" us off when times are tough so I don't feel sorry for quitting in the middle,end or beginning of the week

I'm currently unemployed for the very reason you stated.  So I agree with you completely. I was only saying that if I had a job where I was truly needed, I would probably want do the right thing. I wouldn't be thinking about the wealthy corporate executives as much as my coworkers. That said, I'm not perfect so I have no idea what I'd really do! 

I totally relate to your remarks about freedom. That's what I think about the most. What really gets to me is how many people who don't feel a million is a lot of money. I think we've been desensitized by all the huge jackpots. Sure, it would be a little different for people with children, but I can't imagine lives not being affected dramatically by that much money unless people already have it. Tonight if I won our Mega Money game ($1.4M) and got the approx 67% cash option less tax (no state) $600,000 would buy me a nice home, a car and I could put a little away for retirement. Then I could work part-time at a fun job for the health benefits until I reach 65 and use my spare time for volunteering. By the way, I realize that $600,000 around here and many areas of this country will get you very little. But I've found many lovely spots in the US where $200,000 will still buy a very nice house. It's all about choices and I wouldn't complain if I had to move so I could live mortgage free, own a new car and have money in the bank.

United States
    Member #1759
    June 29, 2003
    1156 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2005, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

My sister who has a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science was laid off from a lucrative Tech Job here in Miami a few years back at the "Miami Herald" maintaining there website.I understand your point about being "truly needed" but from my own personal experience in the past as a Computer Tech/Mainframe Operator I thought I was "truly needed" until I was "let go" so I became very bitter after that and left other good jobs "High and Dry" when they pissed me off.Luckily I was able to secure another job "secretly" whenever this happened,anyway I would definitely be comfortable with just  " 1 Million  Dollars " more than enough to be taken cared of and maybe even work a part-time job as well.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2005, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

(1) I would never "rub it" in someone's face. It has nothing to do with being competitive. It isn't the Olympics or Jeopardy.  It just means you got lucky. (2) If I worked in a place where I respected my coworkers and my supervisors, I would always give proper notice. Walking out on a place can create havoc & chaos for everyone and in this case, there are 7 of them.  If my boss was a jerk I would probably just leave after I got my paycheck, but I wouldn't let anyone know I won.  (if I weren't in a company pool)  Even if I won millions, why would I walk out in the middle of the week? Right now having lots of money would have a HUGE impact on my life, but I hope it wouldn't change my character.

Anyway, maybe they like their jobs!

I agree with number 1. I see no need to rub it in other peoples faces (unless you didn't like them of course.) because everyone will already know that you won.

Dance like no one is watching.