Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it worth going to an anonymous state?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 11 years ago by goldrush.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you go to a different state to play the lottery if you could be anonymous?

YES..... so I could be anonymous [ 10 ]  [40.00%]
NO, it's not worth the trouble [ 15 ]  [60.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 25 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:30 am - IP Logged

It seems like lottery winners who go public (Evelyn Marie Adams of NJ, William Bud Post of PA, Billie Bob Harrell of TX, Jack Whittaker of WV, Larry Ross of MI, Juan Rodriguez of NY, etc) seem to have a lot of problems after they win.  They are constantly beseiged by the news media and greedy relativesFamily feuds and marriage breakups also create headaches for the new millionaire. 

Now imagine........

What if ......

Just what if........  the prize was claimed ANONYMOUSLY?????

Would you go to a different state (such as Delaware, New Hampshire, Ohio, Louisiana) where

you are absolutely certain that you could form a trust with the help of an attorney and be

anonymous with the attorney acting as a trustee in claiming the prize?  Is it worth spending all that

money to travel to those states, knowing that the money that you would spend on air fare could have

actually bought even more tickets in your home state ?  (Especially with those odds)....... Would

you go to a different state where you could be anonymous?  After all, the lottery is so random that if

you saved up your money and bought more tickets, you would have more chances to win.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
    Member #567
    August 14, 2002
    484 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2005, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

By the way......

There is a correction

In my intitial post, it is supposed to say: 

They are constantly beseiged by the news media and greedy relativesFamily feuds and marriage breakups also create headaches for the new millionaire. 

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Preppy's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
      Los Angeles County, CA
      United States
      Member #2161
      August 24, 2003
      30 Posts
      Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

I would only travel to Delaware and New Hampshire, if I was already somewhere on the east coast and the jackpot was +$300 million. Lottery winnings are paid out free of state taxes to non-residents in both Delaware and New Hampshire.

However, I would not travel to Ohio or Louisiana to buy lottery tickets under any circumstances. Matter of fact, if I was in Ohio or Louisiana for business or pleasure I would also avoid buying lottery tickets. Lottery winnings for non-residents are taxed at a rate of 3.5% in Ohio and 5.0% in Louisiana. 

In my state, California, non-California lottery winnings (gambling winnings from another state) are taxable in California.

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        579 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I dream of claiming a Jackpot.  I also dream of claiming it anonymously.  I don't begrudge anyone who desires to be seen, known, center of attention, the opportunity to gloat, the joy of rubbing it in, the chance to be seen as "Yes, I'm the Man." 

But for me, I want the WINNINGS$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but I want peace, quiet, and the opportunity to create a new world for me and my loved ones.  Thats it, thats all, and I am sticking to it!

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8362 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

even if you were to remain anonymous for you win. Suppose you told your sister, brother or cousin and they told someone and that person told someone and those people told other people. how long before it filters down to you. If you win stay quiet get your money and leave town if you affraid of being in the limelight. move to a gated community and stay locked behind doors change you name do whatever it takes to pull away from any attention to yourself.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

If I had a choice I would stay anonymous or as quiet as I could.

Dance like no one is watching.

md
              United States
              Member #14047
              April 20, 2005
              579 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

four4me-

I am not concerned about people per se in my choice of anonymity.  It is wanting my children and wife to have the sort of peace and quiet we desire.

I would move to agated community.  As far as family members opening their mouth's, thats on them.  They can, and probably will, but even if someone approached us, I'm fine with that, as long as they understand "NO"  and "GET OFF MY PROPERTY."  If they don't comply, they answer to 3 Rottweilers, cousins Smith & Wesson, and or a security force.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

As I said in another thread, screw people. I gave up the whole wanting to be anonymous thing years ago. Whoever wants to find you can anyway with some work. They did not seem to care about where I was during my hardships, so they shouldn't be caring after I win. If they do, that is their problem. I also have no family really, and I think it will all blow over sooner if you just face the music for 15 minutes and be done with it.

People may then actually even think you are seeking fame, and even not want to bother you, because they assume that is what you want. You could only hope! People will just have to face I am the only millionaire in town. Then they can make me richer by buying my "winning system." Hey the proof is in the pudding right?

md
                  United States
                  Member #14047
                  April 20, 2005
                  579 Posts
                  Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

I could care less about 15 minutes of FAME!  I leave that for others.  Here in Maryland I don't have to come forward.  If people want to go through great lengths to find me, so be it!  As long as the understand "NO" and  GET OUT" & "GET OFF."

United States
                    Member #23787
                    October 16, 2005
                    68 Posts
                    Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

People who "have" are approached and not those who "don't have". You do not control who approaches you but you certainly can stop them from approaching you. But isn't it better that people can not approach you ? it wastes lot of time and energy in stopping something. Prevention is better than cure. Don't you always wish that you only receive those emails which you want instead of 90% spam?

United States
                      Member #25757
                      November 10, 2005
                      2 Posts
                      Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I seriously think about going to a state like DE and playing the Powerball so I could remain anonymous. But ultimately it's not worth the money for the trip. When I win the Powerball, I'm just going to claim it in a private trust and hope they don't release my name along with the name of the trust.

In any case, I won't be giving any interviews or press at all! Here in AZ we're not required to give press conferences/interviews, but they do release the name, city, prize amount won, etc of the winner. A couple of years ago 2 brothers in Phoenix won $80+ million and declined all interviews; and they were pretty much left alone.

md
                        United States
                        Member #14047
                        April 20, 2005
                        579 Posts
                        Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I personally don't care about being approached, as long as those who feel there is nothing wrong with them approaching me, understand that I will "respectfully say, "I am not interested,"  "No comment," "No Thank You,"  "Get Out,"  "Get Off."  Approach all you want, waste your time.  I become a different person when you cross the line.  As long as they can handle the repercussions of crossing the line, I can handle them when they come across.   

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I can be approached, but understand this, they do so at their own risk! If they ask for something, they better be ready for my response! "NO, I can't help you"! "Now get away from me before I lose it and go crazy or your happy azz"! Do you think that would keep everyone thats asking for something at a fair distance? I do! Besides I could do it and not worry, 50% of the money will be tied up in a trust and another 25% in a LLC. The last 25% will be offshore! All of it is untouchable by a law suit! Neener, Neener, Ha, HA!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: November 18, 2005, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Why do people keep thinking they will hide behind a trust or LLC?  Have they been watching too many television shows?  Neither option was created for secrecy, nor do they allow secrecy.  The IRS has thousands of lines of code making sure you don't use it to hide behind.  The "officers" of both are required to be publically listed.  They are for protection, not for gains.  Even off-shore trusts have limitations, especially if you intend to live in America.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: November 18, 2005, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

How about Bahrain?  LOL

Suppose you told your sister, brother or cousin and they told someone and that person told someone and those people told other people. how long before it filters down to you.

You mean you wouldn't share your prize money with your family? Gosh, the first person I'd call would be my sister.

As far as remaining anonymous, I too prefer to keep my privacy, but what's the point of going through all the hassle? You suddenly have lots of wealth, so enjoy it and just attend the press conference, if required. Then go on with your life. Most people will soon forget you unless you've won the largest jackpot in history until someone else wins a larger one. That's why I "only" want to win $30 million! However, I'd have to tell people I know or they'd be awfully curious how I suddenly acquired a new home, car, etc.  Has anyone ever read the list of the 400 wealthiest people in America? (think it was Forbes Magazine)  I didn't even recognize 80% of them. Wealthy people are usually only known in their private circles unless they choose otherwise.

By the way, depending on how far you have to travel you could be spending a lot of extra money to remain anonymous because someday, somewhere, somehow you might win a game with a 175M to 1 chance. Put the money in an IRA. (or buy more tickets in your state)