Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hoosier Lottery Email response

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23273 Posts
Posted: December 9, 2005, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I hate to say this, but it really doesn't sound like you know how this stuff works, especially with the USPS.

A "DA" does not do postal inspections.  Those are carried out by the Postmaster General.

Postal violations, especially anything involving gambling, are taken very seriously, and they are federal crimes.  Anyone who knows the law knows that federal crimes are worse than a "slap-on-the-wrist" state misdemeanor.

All it takes is for a postal carrier anywhere along the route to notice the lottery tickets -- i.e., gambling instruments -- and you're cooked.  If it's a business you're dealing with -- not some family member mailing you a Christmas present -- then the likelihood of the tickets being discovered goes up.  That's because it is easy for a carrier to start to notice suspicious patterns, and investigate.

The bottom line is that it is a very foolish thing to do, and I would not recommend that anyone reading this take your cavalier attitude about it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
    Member #23383
    October 11, 2005
    485 Posts
    Posted: December 9, 2005, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

..." A carrier to start to notice suspicious patterns "  such as that I get mail delivered every day...lol...still best consult an attorney first on this issue......for the record a friend of mine was in hot water over some stuffing envelope scheme that he mailed out..and people would reply to it by the hundreds...the amount of money coming in was astronomical..I know as I was there to see it....he would bring home tubs of mail from the post office...anyway...complaints came in to the postmaster general....postal inspectors showed up at my friends house...they simply had him sign a cease and desist order..and he stopped mailing out that scam...no jail time, no fines..no nothing....soo..so much for stiff penalties...again consult an attorney on this issue of mailing lottery tickets..

Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23273 Posts
      Posted: December 9, 2005, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand you.  Do you really think people should have an attorney on-call 24 hours a day and they should keep calling them whenever they have a question?  Do you really have the money set aside to keep calling an attorney every time you have a question?  If not, then you should really stop with the cracks about calling an attorney.  It's not an answer.

I also think it's strange to equate your friend's scheme with gambling violations, and stranger still that you don't think it's a big deal to have the Postmaster General investigate you.

United States
        Member #23383
        October 11, 2005
        485 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2005, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

ok Todd..whatever..but lawyers have the answers..as they are in the legal profession..unlike a layperson ....I never said they had to be on call 24 hours a day....it takes a simple phone call during business hours...so if you want the best advice on a legal issue it will take a call to the attorney to get  the best advice....laymen can only think they know alot....

Sparta, NJ
          United States
          Member #18331
          July 9, 2005
          1977 Posts
          Posted: December 9, 2005, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

You don't need an attorney for common sense, only for compliance with the complicated.  If it looks shady, feels shady, or you have to ask if it is shady, DO NOT DO IT.  I need a lawyer for this?  NO!  Spend your money on something that makes you happy - or could make you happy.  Not on something that can put you in jail.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23273 Posts
            Posted: December 9, 2005, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Lawyers don't sit around waiting for questions.  They charge a fee to be on the phone with you for even a minute.

However, why this discussion is at this point is beyond me.  This all started with a question about the law, and we all don't need a lawyer to tell us that it is against the law to mail (or receive in the mail) a lottery ticket.  It is illegal, plain and simple.

You started this "extra discussion" by saying that it's no big deal to break this law.  If you went ahead and called an attorney as you suggested, I doubt they would agree with you. 

And that advice is free, unlike the attorney.

United States
              Member #23383
              October 11, 2005
              485 Posts
              Posted: December 9, 2005, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Calling your local postmaster like I just did is free too....I was told it is legal to send as gifts...that law is primarliy for businesses or for scammers....my postmaster said if you are only sending tickets a few times a year..and are not running it as a business..then it's fine to send as a gift thru the postal service....So it's not so plain and simple as you stated....the advice is free from the postmaster...call him/her....

I explained we are having a discussion about sending lottery tickets across state lines to friend/family members for gifts.....he was more then happy to answer my question....

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: December 9, 2005, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

the lines are starting to get blurred on this whole matter.BUT being that i am not giving or receiving tickets through the mail the whole thing is moot as far as i'm concerned..........

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23273 Posts
                  Posted: December 9, 2005, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

Calling your local postmaster like I just did is free too....I was told it is legal to send as gifts...that law is primarliy for businesses or for scammers....my postmaster said if you are only sending tickets a few times a year..and are not running it as a business..then it's fine to send as a gift thru the postal service....So it's not so plain and simple as you stated....the advice is free from the postmaster...call him/her....

I explained we are having a discussion about sending lottery tickets across state lines to friend/family members for gifts.....he was more then happy to answer my question....

I thought you were going to call a lawyer?  I was the one who said something about the Postmaster General.  You were stuck on the lawyer thing.  Glad you came around.

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
                    Member #2673
                    November 2, 2003
                    497 Posts
                    Posted: December 9, 2005, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Section 1301. Importing or transporting lottery tickets

Whoever brings into the United States for the purpose of disposing of the same, or knowingly deposits with any express company or other common carrier for carriage, or carries in interstate or foreign commerce any paper, certificate, or instrument purporting to be or to represent a ticket, chance, share, or interest in or dependent upon the event of a lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme, offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance, or any advertisement of, or list of the prizes drawn or awarded by means of, any such lottery, gift, [1] enterprise, or similar scheme; or being engaged in the business of procuring for a person in one state such a ticket, chance, share, or interest in a lottery, gift, enterprise or similar scheme conducted by another state (unless that business is permitted under an agreement between the states in question or appropriate authorities of those states), knowingly transmits in interstate or foreign commerce information to be used for the purpose of procuring such a ticket, chance, share, or interest; or knowingly takes or receives any such paper, certificate, instrument, advertisement, or list so brought, deposited, or transported, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more that two years, or both.

I find this discussion very curious. There is a company just outside Atlanta, Georgia, that transports billions of tickets across state lines throughout the US. The company is Scientific Games and they supply scratch tickets to almost all the states that sell scratch tickets. I guess they are breaking federal law. What a joke.

My advice. Keep mailing the tickets. Just don't try to resell for profit.

Good luck,
                    Jake

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8363 Posts
                      Posted: December 9, 2005, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

You can send tickets thru the mail but I wouldn't make a habit of it. There are laws each state my have amendments to the law.

Here in lies the problem say you receive a ticket in the mail from your relative and it wins the jackpot. You go to claim the ticket they ask you how you come to be in possession of a ticket and you live a couple thousand miles away. You say your relative bought it for you sent it to you in the mail. They say it's against the law to send and receive lottery tickets in the mail. Now you opened up a can of worms you might not like the consequences of.

Be mindful of what you are doing. Use common sense. Why risk forfeiture of a deserved prize. I'm sure there are loop holes in the law buy why put it to a test.

From the US postal service website.

Lotteries (18 USC 1301, 1302 & 1303; 39 USC 3005)
                      Postal Inspectors protect consumers by strictly enforcing all laws related to importing, transporting and mailing lottery tickets. Under the false representations and lottery statute (3005), Inspectors are authorized to instruct postmasters to withhold from delivery and return to sender any mail that violates the law.

Columbia City, Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #2978
                        December 9, 2003
                        381 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2005, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Well, you'll all be happy to know I've just pulled out what little hair remained on my head.

I posted Title 18 of the United States Code. It's Federal Law.  It's right there in front of you. All you have to do is read it. It says it's illegal to send lottery tickets through the mail.

There. Now I've pulled out the rest of my hair, and it didn't come from my head, since that was already gone. Now stop this before I manage to hurt myself.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: December 10, 2005, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Whoever brings into the United States for the purpose of disposing of the same, or knowingly deposits with any express company or other common carrier for carriage, or carries in interstate or foreign commerce any paper, certificate, or instrument purporting to be or to represent a ticket, chance, share, or interest in or dependent upon the event of a lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme, offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance, or any advertisement of, or list of the prizes drawn or awarded by means of, any such lottery, gift, [1] enterprise, or similar scheme; or being engaged in the business of procuring for a person in one state such a ticket, chance, share, or interest in a lottery, gift, enterprise or similar scheme conducted by another state (unless that business is permitted under an agreement between the states in question or appropriate authorities of those states), knowingly transmits in interstate or foreign commerce information to be used for the purpose of procuring such a ticket, chance, share, or interest; or knowingly takes or receives any such paper, certificate, instrument, advertisement, or list so brought, deposited, or transported, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more that two years, or both.

I find this discussion very curious. There is a company just outside Atlanta, Georgia, that transports billions of tickets across state lines throughout the US. The company is Scientific Games and they supply scratch tickets to almost all the states that sell scratch tickets. I guess they are breaking federal law. What a joke.

It's like UPS, FedEx and the Post Office.  They can dangerously block traffic any where any time and no one will care - except those impacted and they can't do anything about it.  It's a big boys world, not an equal opportunity sandbox.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23273 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2005, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

____________________________________________________

Scientific Games, as well as the other vendors and the state lotteries, send their tickets through carriers like UPS, not through the USPS, so this particular law would not apply.

Also, since you're in Canada, not the United States, this law doesn't apply to you, so I can see where it would be easy for you to recommend that other people break this law.

I have a hard time understanding why a certain small group of people in this thread are advocating breaking the law.

However, I'm just going to stop trying to understand it, and accept the fact that some people don't care unless it happens to them.  (Then they care.) 

I'll just continue rebutting these comments with common sense, until doomsday if necessary.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #22395
                              September 24, 2005
                              1583 Posts
                              Posted: December 10, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I was always under the opinion that lottery tickets could not be sent through the US mail.

Has anyone asked their Postmaster for a writtten statement.  Or perhaps Postal law that shows it is legal for gifts, etc ?  Perhaps from the Postmaster General's office - Wash DC?

...also, don't we have any lawyers as members?  Come on lawyers, give us some opinions?