Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hoosier Lottery Email response

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Todd.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8362 Posts
Posted: December 10, 2005, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I was always under the opinion that lottery tickets could not be sent through the US mail.

Has anyone asked their Postmaster for a writtten statement.  Or perhaps Postal law that shows it is legal for gifts, etc ?  Perhaps from the Postmaster General's office - Wash DC?

...also, don't we have any lawyers as members?  Come on lawyers, give us some opinions?

You don't need a lawyer just type USPS in your search engine then go to their site and type lottery tickets in their search engine the laws are on their site.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #22395
    September 24, 2005
    1583 Posts
    Posted: December 10, 2005, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

>You don't need a lawyer just type USPS in your search engine then go to their site and type lottery tickets in their search engine the laws are on their site.

Hehe...well, you are right, you don't need a lawyer.  But otherwise I was asking for a WRITTEN reference for why or when they could be mailed.  Since so many are getting answers contrary to the Postal law. 

If I and many others know it is illegal, then why are people in "authority" saying gifts are legal?  Are those people that dumb?  Or do they have knowledge of some addendum that we are unaware of?

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
      Member #2673
      November 2, 2003
      497 Posts
      Posted: December 10, 2005, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Section 1301. Importing or transporting lottery tickets

Whoever brings into the United States for the purpose of disposing of the same, or knowingly deposits with any express company or other common carrier for carriage, or carries in interstate or foreign commerce any paper, certificate, or instrument purporting to be or to represent a ticket, chance, share, or interest in or dependent upon the event of a lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme, offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance, or any advertisement of, or list of the prizes drawn or awarded by means of, any such lottery, gift, [1] enterprise, or similar scheme; or being engaged in the business of procuring for a person in one state such a ticket, chance, share, or interest in a lottery, gift, enterprise or similar scheme conducted by another state (unless that business is permitted under an agreement between the states in question or appropriate authorities of those states), knowingly transmits in interstate or foreign commerce information to be used for the purpose of procuring such a ticket, chance, share, or interest; or knowingly takes or receives any such paper, certificate, instrument, advertisement, or list so brought, deposited, or transported, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more that two years, or both.

I find this discussion very curious. There is a company just outside Atlanta, Georgia, that transports billions of tickets across state lines throughout the US. The company is Scientific Games and they supply scratch tickets to almost all the states that sell scratch tickets. I guess they are breaking federal law. What a joke.

My advice. Keep mailing the tickets. Just don't try to resell for profit.

Scientific Games, as well as the other vendors and the state lotteries, send their tickets through carriers like UPS, not through the USPS, so this particular law would not apply.

Also, since you're in Canada, not the United States, this law doesn't apply to you, so I can see where it would be easy for you to recommend that other people break this law.

I have a hard time understanding why a certain small group of people in this thread are advocating breaking the law.

However, I'm just going to stop trying to understand it, and accept the fact that some people don't care unless it happens to them.  (Then they care.) 

I'll just continue rebutting these comments with common sense, until doomsday if necessary.

Todd,

The law I quoted makes reference to "any express company or other common carrier for carriage". Therefore the law is attempting to apply beyong the USPS. I am trying to point out that the law is so general it is useless and unenforcable.

I know the law does not apply in Canada. Please give me some credit. Also, I am not recommending that people break the law.

You wonder why people are "advocating breaking the law".

I wonder why you are so hot on this topic. I speculate that you do not want people mailing tickets across state lines because that would compete with the business of your sponsors. Your sponsors are making a lot of money by preying on the fears of people and the so called postal law.

Good luck,
      Jake

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8362 Posts
        Posted: December 10, 2005, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

>You don't need a lawyer just type USPS in your search engine then go to their site and type lottery tickets in their search engine the laws are on their site.

Hehe...well, you are right, you don't need a lawyer.  But otherwise I was asking for a WRITTEN reference for why or when they could be mailed.  Since so many are getting answers contrary to the Postal law. 

If I and many others know it is illegal, then why are people in "authority" saying gifts are legal?  Are those people that dumb?  Or do they have knowledge of some addendum that we are unaware of?

---Ok let me put this another way. Say your my relative you live in Michigan you send me tickets for the fantasy 5 and the classic lotto 47. And it just so happens I win the jackpot prize for one of those games. I'm gonna make a trip there and cash my ticket. Under no circumstance would I tell a soul that I received lottery tickets in the mail. Since I'm from out of state as soon as I pull out my ID to get my money they might ask me some questions about said ticket. Of course my response is gonna be I was visiting you and bought lottery tickets while I was there.

on another note anyone who does send and receive tickets in the mail better have some plan as to how their gonna redeem said tickets if they should win a major prize. It's one thing to say be a trucker and buy tickets in different states it's quite another thing to receive tickets through the mail. A trucker will have log books and such to prove he was in the state when he bought the tickets. The latter doesn't have proof of anything except a stamped envelope. Which is a violation of the lottery ticket mailing clause.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23273 Posts
          Posted: December 10, 2005, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Jake,

You're correct for everyday citizens, but you seemed to skip over the part that says "unless that business is permitted under an agreement between the states in question or appropriate authorities of those states."

The lottery laws enable vendors to use common carriers to ship tickets and other paraphernalia to retailers.

Besides, that law you are quoted is not the USPS law, it is a federal gambling law, which does not operate in isolation.  It exists within a legal framework that allows the states to carry out their lottery business.

We were specifically talking about the USPS laws, which mailing a lottery ticket breaks.  I really don't want this discussion to get into unrelated federal laws.  You should start a new topic thread for that.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!