Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jack Whitaker, worse than you thought.

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Pick-4_Master.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2005, 3:33 am - IP Logged

That is quite a story, makes you think twice about wanting to win a big jackpot. I am sad for all of the people whose life has been adversley affected by this situation. Truley amazing that what should have been a blessing could cause so much pain.I guess it's all in the heart of who holds it.

I agree it's sad when when anyone suffers with pain and depression. But NOTHING I read about another lottery winner would make me think twice about winning a big jackpot.  I'm not a greedy person, but money would solve a lot of my problems right now.  I never will understand how having money can be a burden. To me a financial burden is when you're in pain and can't afford a doctor or have to go to work with a backache or puking from the flu because your kids need to eat.  Having money isn't the same as suffering from cancer or AIDS or blindness. Sorry if I sound bitter, but I get so sick & tired of hearing about poor rich people (sorry for the oxymoron) who had so much money that it ruined their lives. Puhleeze!! If you don't like it, you don't need to keep it.

Mr Whittaker had many problems well before he won. He's obvious an alcoholic and lived wildly with an attitude.  Maybe he could have used some of that money to take some etiquette lessons, but he also has been very generous and gave a lot of money to good causes.  I read he's built a couple of churches in town and he hands out money to the needy. He set up a fund for food & clothing for the poor children in his community.  I don't know why anyone would bother writing such a long article but I think people should put more emphasis on all the good this man has done rather than targeting his faults.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: December 18, 2005, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

What a lot of people don't realize is that jack was a pillar in his community before he won the lottery for all practical purposes he was looked up to he was a man with a fair to midland attitude. Lots of people liked the guy. But after he won his whole world was turned upside down. I agree that he let a lot of stuff happen to him and the he also didn't handle it the way some people might. But when he won he made promises to people and was shunned by the leaders in his church they didn't want any of his money. he was thrown aback by their comments and I think that was the beginning of many of his problems. After having been a respected member in his church to be shunned by the leaders of those churches. Soon after that he formed a foundation in his name instead of throwing his money in an established foundation. It's not easy handling a foundation by yourself and making your loved ones responsible for delving out the money to the thousands people whom for all intensive purposes just wanted him to cut loose with some of his cash.

The stress of having won such a huge amount of money combined with all the tasks he undertook caused serious problems. He was at no time capable of handling his new found wealth by himself and didn't seek or take anyone's advise on how to handle his money. He went on a roller coaster ride and crashed and burned.

Just remember if you win don't go on the same ride he did unless you want that kind of thrill ride. I know in my mind he probably would give anything to start from the beginning and do it all differently.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
      Member #567
      August 14, 2002
      482 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2005, 10:28 am - IP Logged

What a lot of people don't realize is that jack was a pillar in his community before he won the lottery for all practical purposes he was looked up to he was a man with a fair to midland attitude. Lots of people liked the guy. But after he won his whole world was turned upside down. I agree that he let a lot of stuff happen to him and the he also didn't handle it the way some people might. But when he won he made promises to people and was shunned by the leaders in his church they didn't want any of his money. he was thrown aback by their comments and I think that was the beginning of many of his problems. After having been a respected member in his church to be shunned by the leaders of those churches. Soon after that he formed a foundation in his name instead of throwing his money in an established foundation. It's not easy handling a foundation by yourself and making your loved ones responsible for delving out the money to the thousands people whom for all intensive purposes just wanted him to cut loose with some of his cash.

The stress of having won such a huge amount of money combined with all the tasks he undertook caused serious problems. He was at no time capable of handling his new found wealth by himself and didn't seek or take anyone's advise on how to handle his money. He went on a roller coaster ride and crashed and burned.

Just remember if you win don't go on the same ride he did unless you want that kind of thrill ride. I know in my mind he probably would give anything to start from the beginning and do it all differently.

Whittaker was reported as saying that if he could have done it all over again, he would have done things quieter.  But when his granddaughter was missing, shortly before her death, Whittaker's estranged wife, Jewell, said that she "would have torn the ticket up".

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
        Member #1759
        June 29, 2003
        1156 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2005, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Winning a lot of money doesn't cause problems it's how you handle the money that does,when I win a Jackpot believe me I won't have any problems managing it responsibly the way I've always been with money so having more of it I'll just handle it even better.