Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

the future of mega millions and powerball

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

by the end of the decade do you see the matrix hitting 5/70 once the matrix is changed again

yes i see it happening [ 5 ]  [13.16%]
maybe but not sure [ 15 ]  [39.47%]
no there is no way [ 18 ]  [47.37%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10348 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2006, 12:41 am - IP Logged

Maybe but I'd rather see something with not such a monster prize at the top

but far better prizes than the present for second place.

Who needs $200 million or so anyway? And the apparent curse that goes with it.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2006, 3:34 am - IP Logged

The only thing that's a rip off about the games is the annuity. I have a feeling that at some point these backloaded annuities will either go away or get much worse.  At some point it might go to 40 years and have to have an asterix next to the number claiming it's for 2046 (or whatever year it is +40) dollars to account for all the inflation that will eat away at what you actually win.

I also don't know if a change in the odds is needed for a high rollover. Both the Canada 6/49 and Euromillions had record rollovers to a great prize level and the odds for both games are pretty low compared to these two american games. In theory Megamillions could have a really high jackpot it's just that it's never happened. If anything Euromillions could boost it's odds to around 1:120 million and dump the 12 rollover rule then have prizes that people in the US could only dream about.

For instance the recent win of two people at 35 million in Megamillions was a .4% chance according to prob988's thread. The odds of the current run breaking 500 million are double that according to the same thread.  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2006, 4:08 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss: "Who needs $200 million or so anyway? And the apparent curse that goes with it."

My feelings exactly.  I've said it before..if I won about $5M I'm sure I'd be set for life, probably start a small business I enjoy, and then I could spend my spare time volunteering. I've known people who suddenly had so much money it made them miserable (I can't imagine, but it happens)

Anyway, I voted no, but I'd rather vote "I hope not."  I know monster jackpots attract more people, but I'll never understand why.

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
        Riverside, Ca
        United States
        Member #21722
        September 14, 2005
        173 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2006, 5:17 am - IP Logged

I think the matrix for Powerball will go up just because there are so many more states playing it, i don't think Mega Millions will change, it might, it all depends on if California stays in or not, we will just have to see this spring. i hope it stays but you never know. But i don't know why they need to change the matrix of the game, has there ever been in any lottery game where you have to choose 5 and a mega number, has the same combination ever come up 2 times? i think the game matrix is fine.

Jupiter has 63 moons.  Oogle

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2006, 5:38 am - IP Logged

wow, 5/70+1/60?

726,180,840 :1 on a 5+1 match (12,308,150:1 odds on a 5+0 match)

I doubt it will get this bad.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2006, 7:49 am - IP Logged

wow, 5/70+1/60?

726,180,840 :1 on a 5+1 match (12,308,150:1 odds on a 5+0 match)

I doubt it will get this bad.

if the jackpots start getting won on almost every drawing they usually start taking measures for another matrix change.i personally don't think they should change it every time it starts getting hit a lot.

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2006, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I hear there may be a joint offering by MM and PB. A "combined" game IMO should have a top prize of $100 million. MM and PB should NEVER be merged.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                Houston, TX
                United States
                Member #9841
                December 23, 2004
                236 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss: "Who needs $200 million or so anyway? And the apparent curse that goes with it."

My feelings exactly.  I've said it before..if I won about $5M I'm sure I'd be set for life, probably start a small business I enjoy, and then I could spend my spare time volunteering. I've known people who suddenly had so much money it made them miserable (I can't imagine, but it happens)

Anyway, I voted no, but I'd rather vote "I hope not."  I know monster jackpots attract more people, but I'll never understand why.

No!  I'd need $200 million to hang with stars.  Paris will be my best friend and you'll see us in Star magazine together. 

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

No!  I'd need $200 million to hang with stars.  Paris will be my best friend and you'll see us in Star magazine together. 

AP:

You moved to New Mexico? I drove through it in October. Maybe the drier climate will be good for you, and you'll realize lump sum is much better.

Houston, TX
                    United States
                    Member #9841
                    December 23, 2004
                    236 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

LOL.  Oh cool.  I was here since August.  The drier climate is better for me, except this time of year my sinuses are worst than ever.  But I'm dealing with it.  I'm sure some annual payments would make me feel much better. 

When u get your cash lump sum, which will be about 1/4 of the advertised jackpot after taxes, you'll be hanging with me, my annual payments, and my celebrity friends.  You'll bump up to celebrity status, too.  We'll vacation together in the caribbean and the south of france.  You'll see yourself in Star magazine and wonder how you got there.  I'll tell u that you're now one of us.  :-)

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

LOL.  Oh cool.  I was here since August.  The drier climate is better for me, except this time of year my sinuses are worst than ever.  But I'm dealing with it.  I'm sure some annual payments would make me feel much better. 

When u get your cash lump sum, which will be about 1/4 of the advertised jackpot after taxes, you'll be hanging with me, my annual payments, and my celebrity friends.  You'll bump up to celebrity status, too.  We'll vacation together in the caribbean and the south of france.  You'll see yourself in Star magazine and wonder how you got there.  I'll tell u that you're now one of us.  :-)

No, I'll be with others who got cash. Your nose is telling you to choose lump sum.

Houston, TX
                        United States
                        Member #9841
                        December 23, 2004
                        236 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

LOL funny.

I'm probably gonna go to TX today.  I'm gonna get a Lotto and Mega Millions, Annual payments for both.

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

LOL funny.

I'm probably gonna go to TX today.  I'm gonna get a Lotto and Mega Millions, Annual payments for both.

Then you will lose as soon as the tickets are printed. I won $6 in Texas ($2 with 3x Megaplier) in October. I chose CVO.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                            Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: March 25, 2006, 9:33 am - IP Logged

I hear there may be a joint offering by MM and PB. A "combined" game IMO should have a top prize of $100 million. MM and PB should NEVER be merged.

what would you do if it was annuity only on the new game?

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: March 25, 2006, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

A merged PB and MM should be so big it doesn't NEED an annuity jackpot!! Its cash jackpots alone would be eye catching!!