Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

random number generator

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Poway CA (San Diego County)
United States
Member #3489
January 25, 2004
14120 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2006, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

It's quite unlike anything at random.org or any other of the above-mentioned. I am a software developer and wrote the utility as a hobby to fill in the gap for my own personal use initially. Its standalone, so you can take it with you wherever you go. You would just have to use it to see the difference between this and other programs.  Anyway, it's free to try. If you don't find it better for your purposes than what's out there already, don't send any money. If it's a hit with you (pardon the pun), you're only out 5 bucks.

dthompson16@nc.rr.com

If you are a software developer then you should know that your program is not even a good PRNG.  I agree that it is unlike anything already mentioned!! LOL

United States
    Member #29980
    January 9, 2006
    6 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2006, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Well, I can tell by your reply that you are not a software developer to make such an unkind and untrue comment.  Of course there is nothing in software that reproduces the absolute true randomness such as occurs in nature, e.g., whether a point in outer space will be occupied by matter or be empty, but the measure of any random number generator is:  under what conditions will it duplicate the same sequence of numbers.  The algorithm in my program approaches true random scattering--the odds of anyone predicting the next set of numbers is virtually nil.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19830 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2006, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

The RNG program that I actually use allows me load a lottery file, analyze it and input parameters so no combination is picked more than once and combinations that have already come up are avoided.  I can also enter a seed number, the program is a work in progress. While I agree that predicting the winning numbers is next to impossible, I still prefer to have some control over which combinations are picks.  Unless a RNG can do more than just pick random combinations then it's no better than the next one.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #22395
        September 24, 2005
        1583 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2006, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

dthompson16

Don't give up...programming is a plus for Lottery Post members. Possibly you can offer your RNG from a website. Todd I believe, would frown on someone posting to offer something for sale. He hasn't commented on this yet...maybe he won't.

What else have you got? I mean in the way of winning systems, ideas, theories?

United States
          Member #3489
          January 25, 2004
          14120 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2006, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

The RNG program that I actually use allows me load a lottery file, analyze it and input parameters so no combination is picked more than once and combinations that have already come up are avoided.  I can also enter a seed number, the program is a work in progress. While I agree that predicting the winning numbers is next to impossible, I still prefer to have some control over which combinations are picks.  Unless a RNG can do more than just pick random combinations then it's no better than the next one.

I Agree!

United States
            Member #3489
            January 25, 2004
            14120 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2006, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

dthompson,

I want to publicly apologize for my comments.  For some reason (maybe because of my mind being diverted by some disturbing news from my doctor), I thought the BASIC program posted in this thread was your program.  Of course, it was not, and I am very sorry for the misunderstanding.

Of course, it is not as random as nature, but most of my work in this area was with cryptography where truly random is needed.  For purposes of picking Pick 3 numbers a PRNG can be good enough.  Even in cryptography you need to decide how secure it has to be. 

Again to you and all others on LP, please forgive me.

United States
              Member #29980
              January 9, 2006
              6 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2006, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

No problem, califdude.  Truecritic, thanks for your encouragement.  RJOh, that sounds like a good program that you have there...can you share it with the community?  BTW, I've changed the Really Random program, as I call it, from shareware to if you use it and win > $100, donate 10% to your favorite church or charity and send 1% to me.  So in essence it is free.  I've posted it for free download along with some of my other utilities on my Lulu.com website:  www.lulu.com/donaldthompson

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                Nova Scotia
                Canada
                Member #9934
                December 27, 2004
                884 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2006, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

No problem, califdude.  Truecritic, thanks for your encouragement.  RJOh, that sounds like a good program that you have there...can you share it with the community?  BTW, I've changed the Really Random program, as I call it, from shareware to if you use it and win > $100, donate 10% to your favorite church or charity and send 1% to me.  So in essence it is free.  I've posted it for free download along with some of my other utilities on my Lulu.com website:  www.lulu.com/donaldthompson

Couldn't find the random program for lotteries, where on the website is it?  regards

United States
                  Member #29980
                  January 9, 2006
                  6 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2006, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Sorry about that, elizabeth03.  When I put it up on the Lulu website, I rated it as Mature, so it didn't show up because I had rated the website for Everyone.  It is now on the main page and you shouldn't have any problem accessing it.  Enjoy

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    884 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2006, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Sorry about that, elizabeth03.  When I put it up on the Lulu website, I rated it as Mature, so it didn't show up because I had rated the website for Everyone.  It is now on the main page and you shouldn't have any problem accessing it.  Enjoy

dthompson,

looked at the website again, still does not mention random numbers, looked at downloads also for information.Bang Head

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2006, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

I enjoy coming to LP to share concepts and ideas about playing lotteries as a hobby but I'm not into publishing and supporting lottery programs because that like working and I'm retired, I leave that to the people doing it for a living.

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #29980
                        January 9, 2006
                        6 Posts
                        Posted: January 11, 2006, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

10-4, RJOh.  Elizabeth03, I typed in www.lulu.com/donaldthompson into my URL window and it displayed correctly.  However, I went back in and changed the content level to Everyone so no one would have trouble accessing it.  It is listed right under "Free Digital Clock Utility." 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19830 Posts
                          Posted: January 13, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

I apologize, when I copied and pasted the GWBasic program from my post into an interpreter, it had some errors.  I hope dthompson RNG worked a lot better.  I know the one on the left of this page works fine, you just have filter out the combinations you don't want.  Good luck.

Evil Looking