Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Making my own program - how easy?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by hypersoniq.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
Member #3002
December 11, 2003
478 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2006, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I have my own ideas about what I want my software to do, but how easy is it to make your own programs for lotto? I have zero experience with programming etc. but would like to learn, how difficult is it when you have no experience?

what should be my first step towards my own software?

Thanks all

Life's Tragedy is that we get old to soon and wise too late - Benjamin Franklin.
    Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:11 am - IP Logged

My advice is to use Excel, where you get a ton of functionality with zero programming, and you can add small, incremental program code as you learn.  Later, than Visual Basic (VBA) code can be re-used in a full-blown (stand-alone) Visual Basic program.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #22395
      September 24, 2005
      1583 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Depends on a few things. 

1) Like how complicated your system might be.

2) How fast a learner you are.

My answer to the above would be anywhere from a month to maybe years.

You also have to choose what programming language you are going to use.  There are a lot of people using spreadsheets here.  That might be the easiest.  Otherwise you have a choice of several languages.  BASIC is probably the easiest.  Unless you use Visual Basic, your program will be a DOS program.  Which will run in Windows.  Just not all the graphics you are used to looking at.

Perhaps your program can be done in javascript or JAVA.   And the list goes on.

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
        Redford/MI
        United States
        Member #3396
        January 18, 2004
        4867 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Thanks for that info, Todd. 

I have often thought about that myself. 

L ttaL   T

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I would say the easiest languages (learning, availability, & free help) are in the basic family (GWBasic, Visual Basic). 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Zoozie's avatar - back
            South Fort Myers
            United States
            Member #26835
            November 23, 2005
            454 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:21 am - IP Logged

There are programs on the 'net where you can input your own information and out pops a program.  I know one of the creators and it is an awesome tool if this is what you want.

Make Your Own Software

makeyourownsoftware.com

Zoozie  Dance

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
            Napoleon Hill

paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
              Member #3002
              December 11, 2003
              478 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:45 am - IP Logged

thanks for the replies , zoozie that sounds fantastic !! although I expect it to be fairly limited, but I wouldnt really know.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old to soon and wise too late - Benjamin Franklin.
                LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:58 am - IP Logged

There is traditional Basic like that of GWBasic and C-64 Basic and then there is QBasic-Quickbasic perhaps a in-between, GWBasic and Visual Basic, there there is Visual Basic of course, then B++, also OLd Basic, but structured without line numbers like Liberty Basic, True basic, Just Basic, Basic-4GL, BBC Basic, IBasic, Dark Basic, Free Basic, Ethos Basic, Extreme Basic, GL Basic, Lithium Basic, Media Basic, Moon Rock Basic, NBasic, OmniBasic, ScriptBasic, Small Basic, Ultra Basic, VP Basic, XBasic, XBLite, XPB Basic, Asic, Basicbas, First Basic, TSR Basic and maybe the one for you might be HotBasic or Envelop, but probably HotBasic is best, to start maybe try Just basic or Justbasic, whatever the true name might be.

There are others such as Brutus, BCET, BCX, Dev C++, Dialect, DX Creator, Euphoria, FBSL, Fortran, Java, JavaScript, Oracle, Pascal, Profan, Python, Ruby.

Any of those, as pointed out there are also SpreadSheets, some free others not. I read that you can even use MS Word, but I would not know, I am not a programmer, at least not yet.

These are the ones that you might want to look at "Lazarus" (Pascal-Delphi), Phyton, Euphoria, Profan, Dialect and Hotbasic.

But to start learning try any old basic, like C-64 Basic,GW-basic, JustBasic, BBC Basic NBasic, QBasic-QuickBasic or Envelop (Old Visual Basic clone).

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

gdemi's avatar - CrayX1
                  Houston
                  United States
                  Member #31253
                  January 27, 2006
                  1 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2006, 6:29 am - IP Logged

As any professional programmer knows, Java & Basic are both interpreted languages and are extremely ineffiicient in memory usage and time to run.

If you want to manipulate the 2 to 4 billion numbers used by the 5 number lotteries you need to learn a language like C, C++ or C# (all baed on C and all compiled languages. The arithmetic section of these languages is nor harder to learn (some parts are easier in fact) than basic or a java based language.

It takes a hell of a big dog to way a ton!. W.C. Richie, Jr, Phd -  our college math/cs prof

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #22395
                    September 24, 2005
                    1583 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2006, 6:58 am - IP Logged

gdemi

I might point out 2 things.

1) BASIC can be compiled to be quicker (stand alone .EXE).
                    2) A system would not entail huge amounts of data. Only a research project to arrive at some system would be handling a large database.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23352 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2006, 7:13 am - IP Logged

As any professional programmer knows, Java & Basic are both interpreted languages and are extremely ineffiicient in memory usage and time to run.

If you want to manipulate the 2 to 4 billion numbers used by the 5 number lotteries you need to learn a language like C, C++ or C# (all baed on C and all compiled languages. The arithmetic section of these languages is nor harder to learn (some parts are easier in fact) than basic or a java based language.

Visual Basic .NET is a fantastic compiled language, and because of Microsoft's new CLR (Common Language Runtime), VB now runs as fast as a C# program.  While it may not be quite as fast as a highly-optimized C++ executable, VB programs will now run as fast (or faster than) most compiled languages.  Microsoft has done a wonderful job with .NET languages.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19900 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2006, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

One doesn't need the skills or knowledge of a professional programmer to write a personal program to manipulate lottery data.  After all most lottery players are not looking for a new career but just a faster way to analyze their lottery data and a language like Basic will do that fine and its English like commands make it easy to understand.

Website http://www.programmersheaven.com  have some useful information for beginners and links where GWBasic, QBasic and tutorials can be downloaded for free or links to buy other versions of Basic.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

paurths's avatar - underground
                          Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                          Belgium
                          Member #19287
                          July 29, 2005
                          2254 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2006, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Now, what is it, 2 or 4 billion numbers?

Little difference, no?

btw, where exactly do you get 2, or 4, billion numbers? I surely don't know all the games, but i must have missed this one...

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2006, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Of course one could debate the speed and merits of hand-rolled assembler code on the latest supercomputer-server-farm vs pencil-and-paper, tooRoll Eyes. Most people want to know what time it is without having to become a watchmaker. But there is always one in the crowd. In terms of what one can get started easily with, what one can get (lots of FREE) help with, I think that path is clearly pointed out. I don't see m(any) threads for help for C++, C# or linux users. Maybe I blinked.

Remember, paul762's question was about the DIFFICULTY, not which language would save .5 milliseconds off the total run time.

IMO, basic-family programs are MUCH easier to debug than C-family code (pascal, fortran, etc.) And they don't have that nasty and pointless habit of showing you how your first error would cascade into 200 others.

I think the biggest p5 game is MO @ 44c5 ~ 1,086,008

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #1340
                              April 6, 2003
                              2450 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2006, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

when you pick a language, get the corresponding SAMS.net (publisher) "Teach Yourself" <any language>" in 21 days"

I bought the VB 6 in 21 days, VB for databases in 21 days and MORE vb in 21 days.... all I needed to pass both Microsoft tests on Visual Basic back when I was going after certifications... ended up with an MCSD (Microsoft Solution Developer) cert in VB6 "on the way" to my MCSE (they were electives)

now I'm running wire EDM's in a machine shop and the only computer I work on is the one that controls the machine... so glad I invested the time in that

:-(

but for personal PRACTICAL knowledge, I cannot recommend those 21 days books highly enough... they ARE the best and they are designed for the absolute newb!

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.