Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Need help with pick 5 wheels....

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Maryland.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #28973
December 26, 2005
439 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2006, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Ok, I was wondering, say, you have about 20-25 numbers, and you are almost 90% sure, well....lol, "pretty sure", that 5 of those 20 numbers will be the 5 winning numbers in the pick 5 drawing, and you wanted to wheel them in a way to get atleast a 3-4th place hit.

Or maybe even the jackpot.  Which approach should one take, wheeling the numbers, or, just playing all the 5 straight number combos available with 25 numbers?  Which would be about 125 combos, correct?

If you didn't want to wheel them, does anyone have some sort of program (excell) or b.c.c, or visual basic, that can make it easier to lay out the 125 combos?  It would take hours to do it manually, lol.

Or, does anyone have an easy wheel that can be used?

Just trying to see if I can acomplish something huge before taking a break from the world of the lottery.

:)

United States
    Member #28973
    December 26, 2005
    439 Posts
    Posted: January 28, 2006, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm also not sure if I should attack the pick 5, or the mega millions with this....I mean, they are both relatively simular....considering it's both 5 2 digit "randomly" drawn numbers.

But, a second prize payout with take 5 is $450, whereas a second prize payout (which is a first prize 'win' level, five out of five) is $250k.

So, that's what I'm unsure about....

Plus, I have to kind of rush....lol.  Only have about 2-3 days left.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49699 Posts
      Posted: January 28, 2006, 3:43 pm - IP Logged
      Ininuga is a PC program, intended for creation or improvement
      (minimization) of abbreviated lotto wheels. It allows any choice of
      parameters (v, k, t, m) in range 1..32. (See: What are Wheels for
      explanation) A typical time to do this job varies from fraction of a
      second to several hours, depending on parameters (and consequently the
      wheel size). A non optimized (far too big) wheel is made fast, then
      reduction goes ever slower. When started from scratch, the final size
      is not always impressive compared to some wheels I saw published on the
      Web (e.g. Peter's Wheels Page), particularly in well researched Pick-6
      (k=6) area. But Ininuga may turn out to be strong in finding further
      reductions of wheels, made by other methods. (Not so in m=t area, at
      least I found no improvement to wheels from La Jolla - but I only tried
      a few)

http://go.to/ininuga

United States
        Member #28973
        December 26, 2005
        439 Posts
        Posted: January 28, 2006, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Wow!

Thanks raven!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2006, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I'm working with a similar dilemma with Ohio Rolling Cash5 today.  I'm working with a potion of my lottery program that tries to reduce the field of numbers of play.  Ohio RC5 is a 5/39 game and I will play using a reduced field of 25 numbers which in the past has contained all 5 winning numbers more than 50% of the time.  I'll be posting those numbers and what I do in the Pick5 forum later today before tonight's drawing.

If you have a copy of CoverMaster you may be able to create a custom wheel that might do what you want.  I'm not using it because I'm interested in a solution with 25 lines or less.

Good luck to you.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2006, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

CoverMaster produces a 39 combo wheel that guarantee a match 3 if all 5 numbers are in the 20 but for most games that will not cover the cost of playing.

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #10720
              January 23, 2005
              933 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2006, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

If the numbers in the pool are belived to be EXACTLY EQUAL, play random combinations of whatever a reasonable budget allows. WHEN I WON 5/5 I ONLY played 2 SETS of numbers!!! And another time I just missed 5/5 because I didn't wheel my best 6 numbers. Playing in PA I often get 2 or 3 out of 5, on ONE ticket! I am assuming that the 90%/25 theory is not just one drawing? Part of the catch is that in order to "guarantee" 3/5 the 90% has to be real. i.e. under "fair" conditions your chances on 3/5 with 5 quick picks is still 5 times what it was with 1 quick pick.

There was a small booklet that I came across from a Supermarket that does have some good wheeling information, if you really want to do it that way, it guarantees a certain kind of win if the drawn numbers are all within your pool. If I find it or remember the name I'll let you know.

I'd love to know how you get a set of 25 with 90% assurance but that's up to you. 

Zoozie's avatar - back
                South Fort Myers
                United States
                Member #26835
                November 23, 2005
                454 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2006, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

OK I have never played pick 5 in my state or any other state, so this intrigued me.  My state is a 5/36.  I picked 22 random numbers out of 36 and then reviewed the winning past results since January 1, 2006.

Results with my 22 random numbers since 1/1/06:

4 - 5/5 wins

18 - 4/5 wins

The question is since I have never played:  how many tickets would I have had to purchase from 22 numbers in order to get the winners and is there a program out there that could actually wheel all these numbers with a guarantee of 5/5?

Zoozie  Dance

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
                Napoleon Hill

United States
                  Member #28973
                  December 26, 2005
                  439 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2006, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

It's a really complex formula I use, which I had NO idea works in pick 5 as well.

Pm me lckylary

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19825 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2006, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Zoozie,
                    There are 26,334 possible combinations of 5's in a group of 22 numbers, you would have play them all to cover every combinations of five, but when you matched all five numbers you would also have the other 85 combinations of 4/5 and the 1,360 combinations of 3/5.

Evil Looking       

Zoozie's avatar - back
                      South Fort Myers
                      United States
                      Member #26835
                      November 23, 2005
                      454 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2006, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Rjoh - After I realized that it would be over 1000 tickets, I crumpled that piece of paper up.  LOL

Cashman - I wasn't asking for your "complex formula" - gosh we all know you are not going to give away your methods, so we don't ask any longer.

Now on to my test.  I picked the best 12 numbers out of those 22.  Here is what I did so EVERYONE can review it.  I wrote those 12 numbers straight down the line and made "12 tickets"... then I went to the 2nd line down and skipped 3 and wrote the 12 numbers down and back around.  Continued this until I got 12 tickets with 5 numbers across.

So I used ALL of my 12 numbers in each ticket.  Final results:  2 - 4/5 winners and 2 3/5 winners.  Guess that is not too shabby for someone who has never played pick 5 before.

LuckyLarry - would you be so KIND as to share how you choose (wheel) your tickets with your best 6 numbers?  I know many would appreciate it tremendously, if not just for the knowledge.

Zoozie  Dance

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
                      Napoleon Hill

United States
                        Member #28973
                        December 26, 2005
                        439 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2006, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Zoozie?

Perhaps a little confusion?  I was just responding to lckylary's posts.  Read his post....he mentioned something about wanting to know my method, and he said something about it being up to me if I share it or not, I was just responding to it,...in some way or another, lol.

Sorry if it seemed like I was just being an *ss.

I just hope it doesn't seem like I'm being a big d*ck by not giving out my methods.  I mean, they're incredibly valuable to me.  I use them to make my living, and, they work.  They work very well.  And, I think, that my growing and present family deserve it's "wonders" more than anyone else.  (Especially my mother, my grandfather, and my 2 sons) 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2006, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Cashman87,

I can understand where you're coming from.  My test didn't work as good as yours, but it showed promise as revealed in the numbers I picked to play in Ohio RC5 tonight.  I posted the first 10 lines on the prediction board and it will show a winner later tonight.  Even though I had all 5 numbers in the group four times, the best I could do with 20 lines is match 3/5 one time and 2/5 four times to win $14 of the $20 it cost to play.  No body won the jackpot and it rolled so I will work on my system and try it again Monday.

Good luck. 

Evil Looking       

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31346 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2006, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Zoozie?

Perhaps a little confusion?  I was just responding to lckylary's posts.  Read his post....he mentioned something about wanting to know my method, and he said something about it being up to me if I share it or not, I was just responding to it,...in some way or another, lol.

Sorry if it seemed like I was just being an *ss.

I just hope it doesn't seem like I'm being a big d*ck by not giving out my methods.  I mean, they're incredibly valuable to me.  I use them to make my living, and, they work.  They work very well.  And, I think, that my growing and present family deserve it's "wonders" more than anyone else.  (Especially my mother, my grandfather, and my 2 sons) 

cashman - it's yours - do what you want.  you don't need to apologize or explain to any of us.  Wink

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                              Member #28973
                              December 26, 2005
                              439 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2006, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Thanks emily!  I would just hate it if everyone thought I was just being selfish, or an *ss, or I don't know....

something bad...lol. 

Any numbers I come up with for pick 5, I'll post about a day before I'm going to play them anyway! :)