Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

mega millions or powerball

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 11 years ago by delS.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

which do you prefer mega millions or powerball?

mega millions [ 12 ]  [26.09%]
powerball [ 19 ]  [41.30%]
i like both [ 13 ]  [28.26%]
i don't play either one [ 1 ]  [2.17%]
not sure [ 1 ]  [2.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3052 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2006, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is the only game I play from the Oregon lottery regularly.

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2006, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

If you win one of them, it will be your favorite.  If you don't win, it makes no difference.  If you can't play them, who cares.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3333 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2006, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Always liked Powerball much better, hands down, win or lose.  Wish Georgia hadn't dumped Powerball.

Good luck to everyone!

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        579 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2006, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I play both, MM in Md. and I drive 5 minutes across the line into D.C. for PB.  I like both for various different reasons, but PB's Powerplay helps me to win more money frequently. 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4527 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2006, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

I subscribe to Chewies' idea. Whichever one I hit the grand prize on is the one I'll most *prefer*. I reside in a PB state yet I have no qualms in heading across the Dixie Line to play MM. :) Each game has given me about the same bang for the buck. Unfortuantely that bang is a dent in my purse !

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2006, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

lol.yeah they keep raising the odds and the only damage is to a persons wallet!

anonymous77's avatar - moon
              Seoul
              Korea, South
              Member #21859
              September 16, 2005
              346 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

The powerball website list the odds of hitting the correct powerball number as 1:68.96

How can the odds be that high with only 42 numbers to pick from?        Ponder

I'm not a math wizz, but you would think that the odds would be something like..............1:42??

The 1:69 odds are for matching NO white balls, but matching the Powerball. Two different conditions (white balls and red ball) must be met.

Pardon my ignorance Cash Only, but I still don't get the math, or perhaps I don't fully understand how Powerball is played.  If you have 42 powerballs, and they reside in a separate tumbler (my assuption), aren't the odds 1:42?  How do the white balls have anything to do with how often the powerball occurs?  This is confusing to me.  Again, a math whiz I'm not!  What?

As some membes said, let’s think about it this way – that is, regarding the white balls and the red Powerball as two separate games, and then combining the two.

First, the odds of hitting the red PB is 1 in 42. That is correct. But, assume one hits the red PB, what would be waiting for him with respect to white balls? Either one of two cases: no single correct white ball OR at least one or more correct white balls.

Out of all possible 3,478,761 (5 out of 55 WBs) combinations, 61% include NONE of the correct white balls, and the remaining 39% include at least one or more correct White Balls. That is, assuming one hits the red PB 100 times, on average, 0+1 would come 61 times and either one of the remaining (1+1, 2+1, 3+1, 4+1, 5+1) 39 times.

So, the odds of hitting just the red PB, with none of the white balls, should be 1 in 69(42/.61=69 vs. 42/.39=108).

1/42 x 61/100 = 61/4,200 =1/69

===>  the odds of hitting exactly 0+1

1/42 x 39/100 = 39/4,200 = 1/108

===>   the odds of hitting either one of the following prize-tiers – [1+1], [2+1], [3+1], [4+1], [5+1].

One can see that summing the two (1/69 + 1/108) makes 1/42, exactly.

ånonymous77 - Primarily for fun and entertainment!

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

The powerball website list the odds of hitting the correct powerball number as 1:68.96

How can the odds be that high with only 42 numbers to pick from?        Ponder

I'm not a math wizz, but you would think that the odds would be something like..............1:42??

The 1:69 odds are for matching NO white balls, but matching the Powerball. Two different conditions (white balls and red ball) must be met.

Pardon my ignorance Cash Only, but I still don't get the math, or perhaps I don't fully understand how Powerball is played.  If you have 42 powerballs, and they reside in a separate tumbler (my assuption), aren't the odds 1:42?  How do the white balls have anything to do with how often the powerball occurs?  This is confusing to me.  Again, a math whiz I'm not!  What?

The reason the white balls are included in the calculation of the odds of matching 0+1 is 0+1 represents matching the red ball ALONE for the $3 prize. There is a 1 in 42 chance you could match 0+1, 1+1, 2+1, 3+1, 4+1, or 5+1. If you match one or more white balls with the Powerball, you win some other prize, but not the $3 prize.

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                  Riverside, Ca
                  United States
                  Member #21722
                  September 14, 2005
                  173 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2006, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions is better because it has less states than Powerball   

Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2006, 10:22 am - IP Logged

how does that make it better???

Baton Rouge, LA
                      United States
                      Member #4602
                      May 7, 2004
                      699 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2006, 11:41 am - IP Logged

To be honest, I've never tried MegaMillions, since I live in a Poweball state and the nearest MegaMillions state(Texas) is around 3 hours away, so I don't have an opinion.

PrisonerSix

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2006, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

how does that make it better???

Mega Millions may have less states, but its twelve states have a combined population of over 156 million (according to census.gov's 2005 figures). Powerball's 28 states, the Virgin Islands (population 108,000), and Washington, D.C. have a combined population of just over 96 million. When North Carolina joins Powerball, the total population for that game's states will increase to over 104 million.

Even if every state in the United States and Puerto Rico got a lottery, and Powerball grabbed all of those states and Florida, the total Powerball population would still be less than the combined population of the 12 MM states, just over 144 million.

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: February 5, 2006, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Powerball. Because only Powerball has the PowerPlay. Sorry, don't expect the Megaplier to go anywhere outside Texas.

(insert signature here)

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #2338
                            September 17, 2003
                            2063 Posts
                            Posted: February 5, 2006, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

For me it's a no brainer.

Powerball 365 million = 175 million cash, 98 million after tax (including 9% income tax from Oregon)

Megamillions 365 million =  211 million cash, 137 million after tax (WA state - no income tax)

If Powerball were played in a state with no icome tax you would win 113 million or 24 million dollars less. To me 24 million is a lot of money so Megamillions is better. 

Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2006, 7:52 am - IP Logged

i never understood why mega millions never had a multiplier like powerball for all players........