Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My support for MUSL Hot Lotto has faded

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2006, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

It would seem to me that Mr Strutt and MUSL are aware that some people do not like computerized drawings, and decided to go with "tamper-proof" computers.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3090 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2006, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I bet if MUSL is the creator of "Quantum Vision"  they can not wait to get the states to approve of the switch over to this Radioactive decay RNG.  To try it out on the masses of Powerball.  If so I think I will only play when the jackpot is higher than $147 million and save some money.-weshar75

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23348 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2006, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

The whole "radioactive decay" thing is ridiculous.  It only addresses one problem out of many.

There is no way anyone has ever put forward that can address the problem of zero visibility of the drawing process.  After all, what happens to the numbers after the "radioactive decay" has produced them?  Who is to say that a hacker doesn't slip a program in there to ignore the "radioactive" numbers, and substitute their own??

It may be easier to tamper with a ball machine, but it's much easier to hide tampering with a computer.  A good hacker can insert their code, and have it produce the numbers they want, and then automatically erase itself.  Nobody would even know it was there.

What do you think a thief would have to offer a programmer who worked on the system to reveal its security weak points?  A million dollars?  Two million?  When the jackpot is $300 million, the bribe can be awfully big.

The point is why the heck are they doing this??  Are the people at MUSL so tried of setting up the ball machines that they can't go on with life aymore?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2006, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

The whole "radioactive decay" thing is ridiculous.  It only addresses one problem out of many.

There is no way anyone has ever put forward that can address the problem of zero visibility of the drawing process.  After all, what happens to the numbers after the "radioactive decay" has produced them?  Who is to say that a hacker doesn't slip a program in there to ignore the "radioactive" numbers, and substitute their own??

It may be easier to tamper with a ball machine, but it's much easier to hide tampering with a computer.  A good hacker can insert their code, and have it produce the numbers they want, and then automatically erase itself.  Nobody would even know it was there.

What do you think a thief would have to offer a programmer who worked on the system to reveal its security weak points?  A million dollars?  Two million?  When the jackpot is $300 million, the bribe can be awfully big.

The point is why the heck are they doing this??  Are the people at MUSL so tried of setting up the ball machines that they can't go on with life aymore?

And it's actually pretty easy to hack one of these computers. What if someone who was performing "maintenance" slipped in a disk that, unbeknownst to the security cameras, had a virus instead of the diagnostic software. It's so easy to do, and it would be so easy to get away with.

(insert signature here)

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23348 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

You're absolute right, JS9.

Of course, the big proponents of computerized drawings would say how they have all these checksum algorithms and security protocols, etc., and nothing of the sort could ever slip by them.

Yeah, right!  These companies are modest-sized firms, with nowhere near the resources as a big company like Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, etc., and yet those big companies are thwarted by hackers every day.  And you're telling me that some sub-$100 million company can have a better track record than that?

I tell you, it makes me very suspicious why these lotteries are jumping on the computerized bandwagon.  They must be getting something out of it, and it's not tremedously-lower costs.  There just isn't that big of a difference in cost.  Very suspicious.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3090 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2006, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

My theory is that state Lotteries and soon Multi-state lotteries what the advantage to munipulate the drawing numbers in their favor so that more revenue streams in.  The good old milking the paying public dry.-weshar75

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2006, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I wished that all games get computerized except for CA SLP, MM, and PB. However, I don't like the computerized drawings manipulate and take advantage of everyone. Computerized drawings may mean that a jackpot winner will occur and less people playing it.

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2006, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Now I hear Kansas is joining Hot Lotto (no confirmation) March 12. After HL goes computerized.