Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What size yacht

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What size yacht are you going to go

50 [ 2 ]  [20.00%]
75 [ 2 ]  [20.00%]
90 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
100 [ 2 ]  [20.00%]
120 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
150 [ 4 ]  [40.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 10 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2006, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

My yacht will also work on land, or in other words, an amphibious RV.

(insert signature here)

United States
    Member #24008
    October 19, 2005
    38 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2006, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I think I'll skip the yacht and go for the big house/nice car thing.  Don't want to fritter all my $ away.  I think I'll start a thread on this topic (though it's likely been repeated many a time).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10354 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2006, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Wink
      They say that the two best days of boat ownership are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.  

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2006, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

you could get a nice private jet anywhere from $750k - $5 mil.

Do you want a jet you have to crawl around in, or one you can stand up in?  Do you want one that can fly non-stop from New York to Las Vegas?  Do you want one that can fly non-stop from Los Angeles to Peking?  Do you want one with state of the art avionics? Do you want one less then ten years old?  Do you want one with a crew?  Do you plan on fixing things when they break, or performing some annual maintenance?  Do you plan on refueling it?  Do you have a place to store.

A 1980 Cessna Citation will cost you around $1.6M just for the title.  Oh, BTW, the height inside is around 5'8" and the width is around 5'9", the inside length is around 17'.  A new Boeing Business Jet (737) is around $45M S-T-R-I-P-P-E-D.  Insides will run you about another $5M to $10M additionally - if you don't get carried away.  Beefed up engines - that'll cost more.  Painting your name on the side will cost around $60K.

Peking...don't you mean Beijing?

Chinese is not my second, third, fourth, or fifth language - obviously!  Sometimes I wonder where English is in the ranking.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Indiana
          United States
          Member #29196
          December 29, 2005
          280 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2006, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

All this talk about big jackpots, yachts and hired security guards has got me thinking.  I wonder how much it would cost to buy an old mothballed battleship from the U.S. Navy?  I think the U.S.S Iowa is available. 

Man!  I can almost see myself now: 

Anchors aweigh!  Stand by to cast off!  Heave too on the port side!  Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!  I'll never give up the ship!  Arrrrrgggghhh Jim lad...arrrrrgggghhh!

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Plymouth, MI
            United States
            Member #23028
            October 6, 2005
            42 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2006, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Don't mess around try this one on for size.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/405-GIGAYACHT-One-of-the-largest-yachts-in-the-world_W0QQitemZ4611149242QQcategoryZ26432QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
              Dump Water Florida
              United States
              Member #380
              June 5, 2002
              3106 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2006, 12:56 am - IP Logged

Hmmm, the more money you have the more novel ways you can find to get hurt or kill yourself, like getting to go hunting with the VP.  The ship sinks, the plane crashes, the house burns down, the trophy mate wants half the money in the divorce . . . When I win I'll rent everything, thank you very much. BobP

Palm Harbor, FL
                United States
                Member #32362
                February 11, 2006
                145 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2006, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Wink
                They say that the two best days of boat ownership are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.  

I don't think they live in Florida...

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm, the more money you have the more novel ways you can find to get hurt or kill yourself, like getting to go hunting with the VP.  The ship sinks, the plane crashes, the house burns down, the trophy mate wants half the money in the divorce . . . When I win I'll rent everything, thank you very much. BobP

If you're talking about a boat, the more "naval" ways...

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                    Washington State
                    United States
                    Member #33973
                    February 26, 2006
                    347 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2006, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

No yacht, no private plane, no luxury car for me when I win the big jackpot.  My house would be limited to one about $500,000 in value (today's prices).  I'd still live in sweatshirts and jeans and wear no make-up.  I might get my hair done more than a couple of times a year, though.

Sparta, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #18331
                      July 9, 2005
                      1977 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2006, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Very true, the rich go out of their way to find unique ways to kill or maim themselves.  The nice thing about renting - no commitment.  Get tired of something, move on to the next page on luxury.com!  Break it, turn it in and get another one.  Get divorced, nothing to lose that means something to you.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice