Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

i was just thinking about this.

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Riverside, Ca
United States
Member #21722
September 14, 2005
173 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2006, 3:57 am - IP Logged

OK say you are a person who just plays the lottery when the jackpot gets over a certain amount (lets say $150 million) and so you go to the liquor store and get a $5.00 QP and put the ticket in your wallet or purse and you just forget about it. Then some days later you hear that someone won the jackpot in your city, and then you hear that it was at the liquor store you bought your ticket at, so you look in the newspaper and check your ticket, and to your disbelief you won the lottery. Now here is my question, since the lottery is "random" did you become a millionair the second you got your ticket or the second the last number came out of the machine?

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8395 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2006, 5:13 am - IP Logged

you didn't become a millionair at all if you left your tickets at the store.

and the person who found/has them became a millionair after the balls were drawn.

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2006, 7:15 am - IP Logged

and the person who found/has them became a millionair after the balls were drawn.

Not until after the lawyer get their share - which will be after the trial.  Being ignorant and acting stupid is now an American trait that is now being rewarded.  Counter-balances those who work hard and make something of themselves.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51178 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2006, 9:20 am - IP Logged

That's like answering the age old question:

Which came first the Chicken or the Egg?

Every ticket holder is holding the winning ticket, until they find out otherwise! Wink

Sparta, NJ
          United States
          Member #18331
          July 9, 2005
          1977 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2006, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Every ticket holder is holding the winning ticket, until they find out otherwise! Wink

I just found out otherwise this morning! 

Cheers

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
            Beautiful Florida
            United States
            Member #5709
            July 18, 2004
            20246 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2006, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Not until after the lawyer get their share - which will be after the trial.  Being ignorant and acting stupid is now an American trait that is now being rewarded.  Counter-balances those who work hard and make something of themselves.

The key words "counter-balances", thats the "Ying and Yang" of it all...!

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              51178 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2006, 9:51 am - IP Logged

ROFL

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2006, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm not going there again.

Cheers

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

"Now here is my question, since the lottery is "random" did you become a millionair the second you got your ticket or the second the last number came out of the machine?"

So you must be asking if the lottery really is random. After all, anything based soley on chance can't be predetermined. If the drawing is not computerized, then 1/2 of a second could change which balls are drawn, right? Look at the Olympics. Everytime somebody "loses" by a 100th of a second (I can't blink that fast) it changes their lives. Even a lifetime of practice, sweat and determination can't predict if you're going to slip and blow it. Although PB has nothing to do with practice, hard work, intelligence (as we've seen many times) or even how many tickets you purchase, if the outcome is purely one of chance, then you are not a winner until that very last second.  In fact, how many people are really the true millionaires? I'm talking about the players who won one of the practice drawings before the official one. Wouldn't that kill you to find out that you won over $100M but that drawing wasn't official?  Of course, we'll never know!!

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

You sound like one of the three people who are watching the Olympics this year.

Cheers

United States
                      Member #10720
                      January 23, 2005
                      933 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

You officially matched all the numbers as the last number (i.e. the bonus ball) entered the chute.

You became a millionaire when the check you got and deposited, clears the bank.

Until then, you are a potential millionaire because they still have to officially validate the ticket.

Of course, once the numbers came out it became extremely unlikely that some problem would be found with your ticket to prevent you from claiming it... other than if you had lost it in a parking lot in Ohio or something!

The slightest difference in events from when you purchase the ticket to when the numbers are drawn can have a dramatic impact on the outcome. That is what makes the numbers hard to systemize; there must be some very slight differences each drawing, maybe a millionth of a second longer or shorter, a more or less sweaty hand dropping the balls in the chute, all influenced by recent prior events..which results in apparent randomness.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19901 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

"......check your ticket,............you won the lottery........since the lottery is "random" did you become a millionaire the second you got your ticket or the second the last number came out of the machine?"

Neither, until the ticket is verified as the winning ticket and you exchange it for some money, you are just a lottery player with a ticket and if you do nothing that is all you will ever be..

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          51178 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

"Now here is my question, since the lottery is "random" did you become a millionaire the second you got your ticket or the second the last number came out of the machine?"

So you must be asking if the lottery really is random. After all, anything based soley on chance can't be predetermined. If the drawing is not computerized, then 1/2 of a second could change which balls are drawn, right? Look at the Olympics. Everytime somebody "loses" by a 100th of a second (I can't blink that fast) it changes their lives. Even a lifetime of practice, sweat and determination can't predict if you're going to slip and blow it. Although PB has nothing to do with practice, hard work, intelligence (as we've seen many times) or even how many tickets you purchase, if the outcome is purely one of chance, then you are not a winner until that very last second. In fact, how many people are really the true millionaires? I'm talking about the players who won one of the practice drawings before the official one. Wouldn't that kill you to find out that you won over $100M but that drawing wasn't official? Of course, we'll never know!!

Predestine: to destine beforehand; to appoint as if by fate

If you're not detined to win, you'll never win: no matter how long you play or how many tickets you buy.

If you're destined to win, you'll win: you won't even have to buy a ticket: you'll find one in the trash or something like that.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #1340
                            April 6, 2003
                            2450 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

"Now here is my question, since the lottery is "random" did you become a millionair the second you got your ticket or the second the last number came out of the machine?"

So you must be asking if the lottery really is random. After all, anything based soley on chance can't be predetermined. If the drawing is not computerized, then 1/2 of a second could change which balls are drawn, right? Look at the Olympics. Everytime somebody "loses" by a 100th of a second (I can't blink that fast) it changes their lives. Even a lifetime of practice, sweat and determination can't predict if you're going to slip and blow it. Although PB has nothing to do with practice, hard work, intelligence (as we've seen many times) or even how many tickets you purchase, if the outcome is purely one of chance, then you are not a winner until that very last second.  In fact, how many people are really the true millionaires? I'm talking about the players who won one of the practice drawings before the official one. Wouldn't that kill you to find out that you won over $100M but that drawing wasn't official?  Of course, we'll never know!!

that info is available for powerball (practice draws...)

here...

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/testpb.doc

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19901 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Raven62 writes:
                              "If you're destined to win, you'll win: you won't even have to buy a ticket: you'll find one in the trash or something like that."

Isn't that the way thieves thinks when they sees something of value that they've aways wanted but wasn't willing to pay for.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking