Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

jackpot lottery pool

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by lchoro.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

would you ever join a lottery pool with a group of people?

yes i would [ 34 ]  [66.67%]
no i don't think i would [ 15 ]  [29.41%]
not sure [ 2 ]  [3.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2006, 8:05 am - IP Logged

i've noticed more and more that jackpot winners are people in lottery pools.would you join one if you thought it helped your chances?

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

United States
    Member #27050
    November 26, 2005
    40272 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2006, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Sure!  It would have to be the right people, however (of course).  What's the old addage: "don't ever do business with your family"???  I've given this much thought in beating the Cash 5 game.

There have been MANY jackpots won using the snydicated approach.  More buying power, more wheeling power, more WINNING power.  Personally, I don't know the right people though.  LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2006, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

I voted not sure. I worked in Vegas for years and from what I've seen almost every form of gambling should be a solo endeavor.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2006, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Sure, before I retired I was in several lottery pools with my co-workers, some were for every drawing and others were only when the jackpots were large.  I have no problem with joining a lottery pool with people I know and see every day but I would never join a pool with strangers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2006, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

I would.  And I believe this site is the place to do it.  I have been reading the posts for several months now and I feel the atmosphere here is very positive, very forward, and extremely honest.  In any lotto pool, honesty is a required virtue.

oklahoma
            United States
            Member #32425
            February 11, 2006
            9 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2006, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

I would.  And I believe this site is the place to do it.  I have been reading the posts for several months now and I feel the atmosphere here is very positive, very forward, and extremely honest.  In any lotto pool, honesty is a required virtue.

yes, honesty is the most important of all.  Not sure if I would be in one online but anyone I go in with I tell them up front, if you don't want to be fair with the pool players, don't play.

its as simple as this.  some people get greedy and dishonest and want it all even when their are partners. 

USA
              United States
              Member #1849
              July 15, 2003
              265 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2006, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

Pools scare me. Honesty is just a word until someone wins. How many people get sued and "feel" left out with these pools? Would I like to win, yes but to me I do not want to win at any cost to my life, health, freedoms, and morals. If I never win on my own, then it was meant to be and those odds none of us can beat. Cheers,

Acro

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2006, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Iv'e been in pools before and only with a limited amount of people usually 5 to 10 people. I've heard of pools of 20 or more people. I don't want any part of that kind of pool. Too many problems could pop up and not enough cash going to you should you win. I don't mind sharing a jackpot but when 20 people win not much to brag about after everything has been divided up.

Another way i look at it is if the pool wins the pot and i can't come away with at least 3/4 million after taxes then i ain't getting in the pool.  

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                  Mcminnville, Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #3013
                  December 13, 2003
                  3047 Posts
                  Posted: February 22, 2006, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

I was in a lottery pool over ten years ago but I stopped being in it because I am very greedy and I do not want to share my winnings with any one that I do not have to.  So I would never join a lottery pool again if I had the opportunity because I would not want to share my winnings with any one period.-weshar75

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10348 Posts
                    Posted: February 22, 2006, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Let's say there are 20 people in an office.  Ten go into a pool and 10 don't.

They get lucky and hit. Now one of two things almost have to happen:

1. "C'mon, you know I'd go a buck, in fact here's my buck, cut me in." So what was a 10-way split would become 11, or 12, etc...

OR

2. Those 10 resent you for winning and they didn't and you have new enemies for life.

Sparta, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #18331
                      July 9, 2005
                      1977 Posts
                      Posted: February 22, 2006, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

There are five, non-famaily people, in the whole world that I would consider joining a pool with.  Then it would have to be a huge amount of money.  Splitting a jackpot and winding up with under ten million, would eventually be depressing.  "Cudda won a hundred million, wound up with ten million."  Not a lot of people can handle that sort of reduction in potential wealth.  They can can talk about the small amount not mattering, but it always does matter.  I already know, I would take care of those five people, if I win, and I know they will take care of me, if they win.  So, why pool?  Just go for it.  Feel rich, and spread the wealth.  Better chance at winning?  Nope!  You have the lucky number or you don't.  People have bought thousands of tickets an won zilch!  Not rocket science, just lottery logic!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        4525 Posts
                        Posted: February 22, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

My workpalce has two lottery pools based on the division you work in. The one group fluctuates from 15-38 employees depending. The one I belong to is 4 ppl! We actually have a side bet which group will top the other! Its actually funny! Our Lil 4 group has had the pleasure of collecting 150$ and as much as 500$ from a dollar play ticket. So its like Maddog says, its not Quantity its quality!

We have strict rules and each play is its own. I dont care for large groups, they are too greedy and rarely break even...My Lil group breaks even or is ahead on average :)  Even an 8 way split is far too much given the taxman gets more then the winning players!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2006, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

I don't have many people to pool with.. but I do buy tickets and give them away.. I figured at my luck, I would give away Millions of dollars.. So at least will be close to that person that wins..

Dad loves the game.. more than I like it..So he gets tickets from me all the time..

I buy my Mom, my boss and my friend and children tickets all the time.. My children are 21 and 27..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2006, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

I buy my Mom, my boss and my friend and children tickets all the time.

Hehehehe.  Mom, friends, and children are OK.  I did that for my boss, and my co-workers would take me out back, put me in a dumpster, lock it, and throw away the key and weld the top closed.  He is as popular as a fire drill during a blizzard.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2006, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Yea we should have an LP poll. Everyone send me $5 for next draw. LOL Would be an interesting idea, but I also avoid pools for the most part, as I do not wish to split a jackpot with too many others. Especially smaller jackpots. At the most I pool up with one family member once in awhile.

I prefer to play myself though, as their is less financial obligation to others. But it is actually hard to find anyone as serious about the lottery as I am, most only play once in awhile on whims....you know the jackpot winning types. The ones who only want to throw a dollar down once every few months when they see on the news that there is a record jackpot going on.