Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

jackpot lottery pool

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by lchoro.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

would you ever join a lottery pool with a group of people?

yes i would [ 34 ]  [66.67%]
no i don't think i would [ 15 ]  [29.41%]
not sure [ 2 ]  [3.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  

United States
Member #16612
June 2, 2005
3493 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2006, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE, my vote is no. I would if I was working right now. However, I'm not. If I win a jackpot, I should worry about my finances and my family.

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2006, 11:34 am - IP Logged

What is the difference between joining an eight person pool, contributing five bucks, and buying 40 tickets, or just going out and buying forty tickets on your own?  One lucky person, or, eight chances at having the lucky person in your pool!  Last week-end, the luck was with one of those eight people, and NOT with this unlucky person!  The number of tickets didn't matter.  It was that one person, in eight, who had the luck; or, the combination of luck that the eight generated.

I don't do pools; too selfish.  However, you always have to wonder about the combined Karma from groups!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19898 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2006, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Now that I'm retired I only join lottery pools with me and myself.  I pick the numbers and then me and myself put up the money and buy the tickets and if we ever win the jackpot, me and myself have agreed that I can keep all the winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bobby623's avatar - abstract
        San Angelo, Texas
        United States
        Member #1097
        January 31, 2003
        1405 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2006, 11:40 am - IP Logged

I voted yes. I've been in many pools over the years. I ran an office pool for several months before I retired.

The way I see it, I can buy 10 tickets playing alone, or join with a few others and buy 100 or 200 or more tickets. That many more chances to win something, despite the angst that could develope afterwards, whether it be family members or coworkers.

But the problem for me is that while some pools do make more than they lose, almost all rely on quick picks, which, in my humble opinion, is the worst way to play a lottery. True, quick picks have won many jackpots, but the number is small compared to those that didn't win.

The value of quick picks, of course, is debated here everyday. I'm on the side that believes there is a better way.

It's just difficult to get a few people to meet and work out a plan to ensure that all numbers are in play, equally if possible, in combinations that are realistic.  Ever get a QP with the combination 10.11.12.13.14?? A total waste of money..

I believe a few people armed with some drawing histories and analytical collaboration can come up with one or more wheels that would have a better chance of winning a prize.

Throwing a couple of bucks into a hat with the hope of getting back a few million is one way of playing the lottery, but not many folks ever have that dream come true!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8392 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2006, 12:14 pm - IP Logged
          Mega Millions Winner Gets $112 Million Check
          July 4, 2003
           on June 20, 2003 these numbers were drawn.
          01 · 02 · 03 · 12 · 37    + 35      $180 Million

and 42 people had 5 + 0 numbers.

ANNAPOLIS, MD -- Maryland Gov. Bob Ehrlich presented Mega Millions jackpot winner Bernadette Gietka with a check for $112 million last week.

Gietka has been a mail carrier for 12 years and was working four part-time jobs in order to purchase her first house. She recently went to closing on the $62,000 mortgage, reports

Bernadette said;

Quote: "My mother went into the store to buy 10 [tickets, but] changed her mind [and] bought five and I bought four. I looked at the ticket and the numbers were '1, 2, 3' and I thought to myself, 'I may as well throw this one right in that can,'" Gietka said.

"When I was at work, my niece called me [and said] that the numbers were '1, 2, 3' and was bought at that store, and I didn't know I had the ticket with me. I found out [later] that I had the ticket with me [in my purse] and it was the right store," Gietka said. "We thought maybe at that point [that I had the winning ticket] but I didn't find out because I went to the movies [with my girlfriend]. That was the most stressful time that I went through."

While I agree that series numbers aren't the most practical bet you just never know what might happen. Any combination of numbers can be drawn and the possibility that series numbers will be drawn does exist. A full spread of series numbers just might happen one day.

While Bernadette didn't think her numbers would win she found them to be lucky for her.

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: February 26, 2006, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

But the problem for me is that while some pools do make more than they lose, almost all rely on quick picks, which, in my humble opinion, is the worst way to play a lottery. True, quick picks have won many jackpots, but the number is small compared to those that didn't win.

I fail to understand your point.  When the jackpot is the goal, there is simplicity at its finest: you win, or you loose.  It doesn't matter how many lost, how many lost less then anticipated, or, lost excactly what they thought they would lose, using whatever system they chose -  the only thing that matters is the winner.  Losers are losers and winners are winners.  The overwhelming majority of winners used a QP. Quick Picks are based on luick. 

Winning the lottery is entirely based on luck.  The more players in your pool, the better the chances of one of  them having the right amount of lick on the day needed.  If you were that lucky one, you just threw away a ton of money!  If none of you were the lucky one, then all of you stand on the left, with all of us other losers.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Baton Rouge, LA
              United States
              Member #4602
              May 7, 2004
              700 Posts
              Posted: February 27, 2006, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

I run a lottery pool at my office. It started with me and the lady at the desk next to mine, but then 4 other people joined in. I'm trying to keep it small as the bigger it gets, the harder it will be to manage.

What we do in our pool is every 2 weeks on payday, we each put up $4. I then buy 3 Powerball and 3 Louisiana Lotto tickets for the next 4 drawings that will occur between then and the next payday. If we win anything, we split all of our winnings evenly. What I'll often do is if we do win a few dollars, I'll take it out of their payment towards the next batch of tickets. We haven't won more than the $24/payday we normally spend on tickets, but someday we will.

In addition to that pool, when the Powerball jackpot gets high, others in the office will often start pools and of course, I get in on those too.

So my answer is a definite yes, I will particiapte in a lottery pool.

PrisonerSix

United States
                Member #5565
                July 11, 2004
                260 Posts
                Posted: February 27, 2006, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

If a pool has a lot of money to spend on a single drawing, such as 300 dollars  or more, I think one can see that the task of selecting the numbers to play and coding them on the playslips could be a very daunting chore.  I'm not even sure that my local outlet has the number of payslips to accomodate that many plays.  Perhaps some of the state lotteries should set up a special place on their site for clubs to register and enter their orders electronically. Otherwise it's much easier to use the quickpick feature and just run the same playslip through repeatedly.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19898 Posts
                  Posted: February 27, 2006, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

One of the problem of getting in those pools is if you decide to buy additional tickets on your own and win big, those office pools buddies will expect you to share.  Members of pools will come up with all kinds of unwritten rules when one of the members wins big on his own. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #5565
                    July 11, 2004
                    260 Posts
                    Posted: February 27, 2006, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

They're unenforceable.  They have to an agreement with each member of the pool since the pool is not a recognized legal entity.