Welcome Guest
You last visited August 16, 2017, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lottery superstitions and habits

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Maine
United States
Member #12412
March 13, 2005
21 Posts
Posted: February 27, 2006, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has lottery superstitions like buying tickets at the same location, waiting for a particular time or if you have invested the time in analyzing the numbers do you feel a compulsion to play or can you just play on paper?  I feel the compulsion to play.  If I ever wrote the numbers down and did not play, and they came in, I would be bald the next day!  Not that being bald is a bad thing, just not flattering to most women. Smile  Another question -  if you found someone else's filled out lottery slip in a random place, would you play those numbers?  Would you approach another "system player" or start  a conversation with someone you felt had a different method?  I bet there are alot of players out there who would welcome a chance to discuss methods with other players as long as there was mutual contribution of information. 

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
    Mid-Missouri
    United States
    Member #644
    August 31, 2002
    4271 Posts
    Posted: February 27, 2006, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Not really a superstition, but if a clerk at the local stores make mistakes (that we catch) on my lottery tickets I always buy them and get the ones I intended to get too.. So far, that has never paid off but you never know.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10504 Posts
      Posted: February 27, 2006, 12:31 am - IP Logged

As silly as it sounds there are a few places where I just can't hit anything no matter what I get there, scratcher on up. also, I live in Illinois but seem to be a lot luckier with the Missouri lottery games. No big wins,  just luckier.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
        Washington State
        United States
        Member #33973
        February 26, 2006
        349 Posts
        Posted: February 27, 2006, 1:01 am - IP Logged

No superstitions other than continuing to want to play the same two numbers I "heard spoken" when I was falling asleep about 20 years ago, both of which were picked in the next drawing after hearing them.  Most of the intervening years I have not played lotto at all or just used quick pick, but whenever I do choose my own numbers, I always seem to go back to including those two.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3157 Posts
          Posted: February 27, 2006, 1:24 am - IP Logged

No superstitions other than continuing to want to play the same two numbers I "heard spoken" when I was falling asleep about 20 years ago, both of which were picked in the next drawing after hearing them.  Most of the intervening years I have not played lotto at all or just used quick pick, but whenever I do choose my own numbers, I always seem to go back to including those two.

Doesn't your lottery allow you to mark two numbers and allow Quick Pick to select the rest?  Mark several tickets that way, any time your two numbers come in the odds are pretty good of a #3 win at least.  BobP

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            349 Posts
            Posted: February 27, 2006, 2:35 am - IP Logged

BobP - As far as I can see from the playslip, one can allow a quick pick of just the mega ball, just all the white balls, or all balls, but not any number between one and six.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
              Member #24380
              October 21, 2005
              623 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2006, 2:41 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I have now that you mention it.  I have certain things that I do:

1. I have "lost" a $11,000,000.00 lottery jackpot and a $3,000.00 + dog race---I had figured the trifecta or whatever it was called by reading the previous races and dogs!------- because I let someone in my family persuade me NOT to play.  From that, I learned; don't go against your gut instinct, just DoN't, dOn'T, D-O-N-T,  DONT'T.
              2. When the gut says play at a certain retailer, I follow the lead and usually win a"little, sum, sumthin"Wink.  If I don't, the clerk is rude or the computer terminal goes down, or I am in a long line with smoking chimneys and farting jacksPuke
              3. Now the dreams...I dream several different kind.  The prophetic dreams scare me and I always stand still, listen and pray that I have a clear understanding of what has been shown to me.  Prophetic dreams have never been wrong and they can reveal the truth about a future event.  ( I have dreamed that I would be allowed to initiate the highter cause that I play lottery for and the persons who would win with me).  I did not know until last week that the LAST person I would EVER play with would have the same destinal conviction.
              4. I no longer buy errors.  Never won those or many of those that were right either for that matter (tee hee). 
              5. The fortune cookie is funny, but true.  I had a strong compulsion to play those numbers; won $7.00Embarassed
              6. I have learned to go with my gut.  I also know that the odds are high, nevertheless, that $1.00.00 playslip is gonna 'enable me to enable" one day SOON and VERY SOONSun Smiley
                justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2006, 4:04 am - IP Logged

Not really a superstition, but if a clerk at the local stores make mistakes (that we catch) on my lottery tickets I always buy them and get the ones I intended to get too.. So far, that has never paid off but you never know.

Funny! I do the exact same thing.  It's only happened a few times, since I fill out the cards, but somehow it has happened. So I'll keep the wrong numbers and still buy the ones I wanted in the first place. In Jan a clerk at 7-11 gave me 2 QP tickets for the wrong game. I would've probably just kept them, but he grabbed them out of my hand when he realized his mistake, and on the way home I kept thinking I should have stopped him. I know this sounds totally nuts, but that Sat when someone won $50M I kept thinking "OMG, those look like the numbers he canceled!"

One bad habit is that I won't change my numbers after 12 years. Even if I'm broke, I have to play those numbers. (only a few bucks) It's not an actual superstition, but a fear that the one week I stop, they'll hit, even though I realize there are millions of other combinations. 

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:00 am - IP Logged

I don't watch the live powerball draws (even if I'm still up), that's about the only one for me

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11350 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:54 am - IP Logged

i usually always go by my instincts.the few times i dropped some of my numbers they hit.i also don't usually watch the drawings i have tickets for.........