Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lump sum or annual payments

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

winning a jackpot do you take lump sum or annual payments?

i take lump sum [ 36 ]  [78.26%]
i take annual payments [ 9 ]  [19.57%]
not sure at this time [ 1 ]  [2.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

would you take lump sum or annual payments after winning a major jackpot?

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3047 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I will take the cash option.-weshar75

Roslindale, MA
      United States
      Member #5377
      July 1, 2004
      135 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2006, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Heck I don't even look at the advertised pot for MM when I decide whether or not to play - it's all about the cash value (once that  hits $50MM i start playing 5 a draw until hit).

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
        Washington State
        United States
        Member #33973
        February 26, 2006
        347 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2006, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Annual payments would be the best way to go if someone feared they wouldn't be able to control their own spending.  Or if they thought they needed the ammunition of being able to say, "But I only received xxx this year," when being hit up for money from friends or relatives with their hands out.  But to anyone with self-control and investment smarts it would be a very poor deal in this interest rate climate.

I tried to check the compound discount tables to see what the interest rate assumption was for the annual payment on the Mega Millions.  The lowest chart I could find only went down to 2½ percent, and the figures stated for the choices on one of the recent pots would indicate that the interest rate assumption was below that.  How low?  Two percent?  One and a half percent?  I don't know.  As I said, the charts didn't even go that low.  All I know is that a person wouldn't have to have a lot of investment smarts to do better than that rate of return!  You could even park it in a well chosen money market fund and do better than that!

I'll take cash option, thank you., and invest it a bit more aggressively.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2006, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Will depend on the amount. Most likely lump for large jackpots, as I would be getting the interest, not someone else. Plus you usually can get about as much or more interest than the principal annuity will pay, and never touch your principal.

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2006, 1:01 am - IP Logged

Except in very rare cases, I would take the cash. The only times I would take the annuity is if I won Hoosier Lotto (the cash option is a total rip-off) and on the new Win For Life game (again, the cash option is a rip-off).

(insert signature here)

Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2006, 3:53 am - IP Logged

Except in very rare cases, I would take the cash. The only times I would take the annuity is if I won Hoosier Lotto (the cash option is a total rip-off) and on the new Win For Life game (again, the cash option is a rip-off).

everything about the hoosier lottery is a rip off!Unhappy

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2006, 6:42 am - IP Logged

I don't know why anyone would EVER take annual payments if she won a large jackpot. I might take $10,000 a year if I won I small prize like $200,000. I don't like idea of a 50% cash option penalty, but the interest rate you get on the 30 year payout is so low that it won't keep up with inflation. Even if the rates never go back to double digits, they're already climbing. Although sales have slowed down quite a bit, real estate is still increasing in this area at a rate of 20 to 30% a year. So just do some research,  buy several homes in a fast growing community, rent them and sell in a few years when they sell out the last phase. There are so many good options for investing your money wisely instead of letting the state make that choice you.  As Uff Da said, if people know they can't control their spending, I suppose that is one reason for not taking the cash, since many winners are broke after 5 or 10 years, which I find hard to believe. Even if I "only" won a few million, after buying a house and a new car, just the interest alone on the rest would be enough for me to live on happily.

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2006, 7:14 am - IP Logged

The key word is "major" - and there is no doubt.  Get the money, have the money.  With a hundred million in cash, a lazy person can afford to make ninety million mistakes, and still be richer then any one on my neighborhood!  Do you realize you could easily buy 500 band new houses for one hundred million dollars?  With $1500 to $2000 a month rent, you could afford a lot of lollipops.  How can you screw that up!

If I have so little confidence in myself, that I feel I would blow a hundred million dollars, I should have taken the high dive a long time ago.  I would be a disgrace to my parents - and myself!!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2006, 7:15 am - IP Logged

Will depend on the amount. Most likely lump for large jackpots, as I would be getting the interest, not someone else. Plus you usually can get about as much or more interest than the principal annuity will pay, and never touch your principal.

No problem, she wasn't that good looking any way!

Cheers

Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2006, 7:27 am - IP Logged

chewie is right.mine was dog ugly too....

remember never touch your principal,lol

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2006, 7:37 am - IP Logged

Not touching the principle is also good advise!

Cheers

masslottery's avatar - dragon eye.jpg

United States
                          Member #34117
                          February 28, 2006
                          753 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2006, 8:02 am - IP Logged

Me lump sum here you get doulbe tax on your winning say you dont take the lump sum u get 7mil every year you get tax 23% the first time then at years end you get tax another 15% mass is rip off

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2006, 8:29 am - IP Logged

Me lump sum here you get doulbe tax on your winning say you dont take the lump sum u get 7mil every year you get tax 23% the first time then at years end you get tax another 15% mass is rip off

Keep voting those liberals into office; and make sure you keep them there forever!  If you need guidance, watch the New Jersey elections.  One mind dead elderly person after another keeping corruption thriving.  Now we have their children following suit, pleasing mommie and daddy by proving what great sheep they raised.  Long live the unions, it doesn't get you quality, but does get you higher prices, and some one to talk with in the protest and strike lines.  Look at what they did to the American auto industry!

Cheers

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2006, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

Ah a few typos, rarely ever happens but it was a long day/night. Don't even get me started on your spelling however, I don't have that kind of time to point out the errors, and I doubt my post count could go that high. LOL