Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lump sum or annual payments

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

winning a jackpot do you take lump sum or annual payments?

i take lump sum [ 36 ]  [78.26%]
i take annual payments [ 9 ]  [19.57%]
not sure at this time [ 1 ]  [2.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2006, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

The key word is "major" - and there is no doubt.  Get the money, have the money.  With a hundred million in cash, a lazy person can afford to make ninety million mistakes, and still be richer then any one on my neighborhood!  Do you realize you could easily buy 500 band new houses for one hundred million dollars?  With $1500 to $2000 a month rent, you could afford a lot of lollipops.  How can you screw that up!

If I have so little confidence in myself, that I feel I would blow a hundred million dollars, I should have taken the high dive a long time ago.  I would be a disgrace to my parents - and myself!!

" Do you realize you could easily buy 500 band new houses "

You a musician?

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2006, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

Will depend on the amount. Most likely lump for large jackpots, as I would be getting the interest, not someone else. Plus you usually can get about as much or more interest than the principal annuity will pay, and never touch your principal.

No problem, she wasn't that good looking any way!

Ah a few typos, rarely ever happens but it was a long day/night. Don't even get me started on your spelling however, I don't have that kind of time to point out the errors, and I doubt my post count could go that high. LOL

Typos are great - they give every one something to pick on - I even make them.  Don't get upset over it.  A few people laugh, so what!  NO harm intended, none should be taken. It is life!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2006, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

The key word is "major" - and there is no doubt.  Get the money, have the money.  With a hundred million in cash, a lazy person can afford to make ninety million mistakes, and still be richer then any one on my neighborhood!  Do you realize you could easily buy 500 band new houses for one hundred million dollars?  With $1500 to $2000 a month rent, you could afford a lot of lollipops.  How can you screw that up!

If I have so little confidence in myself, that I feel I would blow a hundred million dollars, I should have taken the high dive a long time ago.  I would be a disgrace to my parents - and myself!!

You a musician?

My point exactly.  Not to start a lynching over.

Cheers

PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2006, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

You are right, "everyone" does. Not upset, but like I said I find it a waste of time to point out all typos, or even the constant butchering of the English language here daily. There are far too many for such a tedious job. This should be a forum for relaxation, and casual expression...not English class. Although I do not make many, I do not really consider it important to run a spell checker here. Some should however, as some posts are almost unreadable.

For some to pick at other's typos would be like the pot calling the kettle black 1,000 times over. I always find it a bit ironic, and quite amusing when someone does, yet their post has about 20 or more grammatical errors. But like I said, this is not English class, if that was case then people like lottomike would have flunked out long ago, and who would make all the threads?

PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2006, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

You a musician?

My point exactly.  Not to start a lynching over.

That did give me an idea however, maybe I could rent to musicians. So as long as I did not live in the same complex. "Band houses for rent!"

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2006, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

This should be a forum for relaxation, and casual expression.

Exactly!  People were poking fun at a typo, not trying to be mean. Its called humor!  If you don't like what some one is doing, buy a membership;  then you can filter them.  No more surveys - walla!  Otherwise, enjoy them.  They are all in fun, none have a sub-level meaness attached.  None are intended to eliminate any of your freedoms or beliefs.  Just plan ordinary lottomike surveys.  Just plain humor.  Its 2006, lighten up a little!  Self generated stress only causes heart attacks.

Cheers

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
              Riverside, Ca
              United States
              Member #21722
              September 14, 2005
              173 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2006, 3:01 am - IP Logged

Payments are better, but i would take the cash...just because i would like to have all my money at once and not wait till the 2030's to get all my money.  it depents on how well you handle money...But i bet everyone on LP will never have to make this decision of Cash or Payments because non of you will ever win the lottery. LOL

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: March 5, 2006, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Lump sum all the way!! I'd use it to buy my own annuity!

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                  Houston, TX
                  United States
                  Member #9841
                  December 23, 2004
                  236 Posts
                  Posted: March 6, 2006, 3:21 am - IP Logged

I think my name says it all.  Even with inflation, $2,000,000 a year, for example,will always be more than enough to live off of.  That way I can learn about investing and play with an annual payment while doing it.  I can also see how my spending habits would be with that much money.  There's no telling how many websites and electronic stores I'd buy up.  With express shipping of course.  Not to mention how much business the airlines would get from me. 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: March 6, 2006, 9:40 am - IP Logged

annual payments did you convert cash only to annuities?

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: March 6, 2006, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

My vote is for lump sum because we don't know about my future or my family's future. If I take cash, I would only pay taxes once. We'll buy a new house, car, etc.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: March 6, 2006, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

This should be a forum for relaxation, and casual expression.

Exactly!  People were poking fun at a typo, not trying to be mean. Its called humor!  If you don't like what some one is doing, buy a membership;  then you can filter them.  No more surveys - walla!  Otherwise, enjoy them.  They are all in fun, none have a sub-level meaness attached.  None are intended to eliminate any of your freedoms or beliefs.  Just plan ordinary lottomike surveys.  Just plain humor.  Its 2006, lighten up a little!  Self generated stress only causes heart attacks.

I'm usually very fussy about grammar and spelling, but not on the internet. It's too time consuming. I won't write to a friend any more because she points out every sentence that ends in a preposition or that isn't structured properly.  So, Chewie, you don't have to worry if your participle is dangling.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                          Houston, TX
                          United States
                          Member #9841
                          December 23, 2004
                          236 Posts
                          Posted: March 6, 2006, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

No, I didn't.  I think I should expand go on the offense and do that instead of just defending my position. 

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: March 7, 2006, 9:46 am - IP Logged

No, I didn't.  I think I should expand go on the offense and do that instead of just defending my position. 

Somebody from Texas should call themselves "CVO".

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: March 7, 2006, 11:35 am - IP Logged

My vote is for lump sum because we don't know about my future or my family's future. If I take cash, I would only pay taxes once. We'll buy a new house, car, etc.

You'd only pay taxes once? So I'm assuming you'd invest in tax-free municipal bonds then? You're going to have to pay taxes on the interest you earn off your investments otherwise.