Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball (moneyball) or Powerplay

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What is best to do with your extra buck?

Buy an extra powerball(moneyball) [ 15 ]  [62.50%]
Use it for powerplay(multiplier) [ 9 ]  [37.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
anonymous77's avatar - moon
Seoul
Korea, South
Member #21859
September 16, 2005
346 Posts
Posted: March 6, 2006, 9:08 am - IP Logged

How much more can a Powerball player expect by spending an extra dollar on buying PowerPlay option, as compared to buying an extra PB ticket instead of adding PowerPlay option?

According to ND lottery website, during the promotion period, there will be 16 PP multiplier balls, from which one will be drawn, as follows:
2X : 4     3X : 4    4X : 4    5X : 3    10X : 1

That way, the odds of 10X multiplier coming out in any one drawing until it pops up is 1 in 16. Based on this fact, I could do some math.

Firstly, the weighted average of all multiplier numbers would be now 3.81 instead of 3.5. That is, for all non-jackpot prizes, multiplier number is expected to increase by roughly 9% (=.31/3.5), as compared to no such promotion.

Secondly, the overall expected value, which represents long-tem average winning if such play is being repeated indefinitely, of $1 spent on buying an extra PB ticket OR adding PP option to the existing one will vary, depending on the outstanding amount of jackpot. At the current level of $50M, one can expect the following amount out of an extra dollar spent on two different alternatives A and C: (all before tax)

A. .37 : when buying an extra PB ticket instead of adding PP option

B. .43  : when buying PP but assuming normal multiplier numbers (as if there were no current promotion)

C. .46  : when buying PP option, instead of an extra ticket, during this 10X promotion

-The difference between A and C : +24% (would decrease as the amount of jackpot goes up)

-The difference between A and B : +16%  (would decrease as the amount of jackpot goes up)

-The difference between B and C : +7% (would remain unchanged regardless of the amount of jackpot)

So, I think that, given such difference in expected values between those two alternatives, the actual choice is up to individual players. If I were able to buy PP option during this promotion, I would do so until PB jackpot exceeds at least $100M and/or until 10X multiplier pops up. For the time being, I think, PP would be a nice toy to at least some in-state PB players who enjoy such add-on to Powerball.

md
    United States
    Member #14047
    April 20, 2005
    580 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2006, 11:09 am - IP Logged

The GameGirl-

"Lets stand corrected here. There can be only one combination of numbers that win the jackpot. More then one person (or group)can play that series and hit. Thus why two states can hold winners for the jackpot claims. My guess is, its your dollar, do with it what ya will. Either way, it goes into the funds and somebody (or group) at some point will get the moola. Check your state that you play in to see how many tickets were sold verses how many were claimed using the power feature. That should give ya an idea of how vested you may want to be on powering up. Good luck with your investment!"

Its a promotion, and if a person can afford it, go for it!  I just spent $80.  $10 + $10PP X 4 draws = $80.  Some can afford more, some less, and some don't give a flying flip.  Its to each his or her own, not for others opinions to control and manipulate. 

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2006, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Well, I saw the harsh light last Saturday. I PowerPlayed and didn't hit a single number, just like the only other time I PowerPlayed. In fact, I'm going to disregard PB jackpot sizes and play only one quick pick every draw no matter how high or low the jackpot is. Also, I'm no longer playing Mega Millions, even if its jackpot is huge. It takes only $1 to dream of winning a life-changing jackpot, which is pretty much any Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2006, 9:50 am - IP Logged

I'm playing every PB drawing until the 10x appears, even though I live out of state. How often is MUSL going to do this?