Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Looking for Powerball Pool Player

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 11 years ago by NewClub.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
Member #2673
November 2, 2003
497 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2006, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

A friend of mine has organized a Mega Millions lottery pool. He is looking for a member to join who also is willing to buy Powerball tickets. I suggested he join Lottery Post and post his request. He did not want to and asked if I could post on his behalf.

If you are interested, please PM your email address and he will contact you with the details. I am only interested in providing this post for him. I will not be the go-between if you join. I understand no money changes hands unless the group wins. You buy Powerball tickets for the group and in exchange you get in the Mega Millions pool.

I am not involved because I only play in Canadian pools. Do not want to get involved in the US tax issues.

Good luck,
Jake

Canada
    Member #2673
    November 2, 2003
    497 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2006, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Received some interest but no takers. Based on some questions I received, my friend asked me to post replies to the whole group.

This is roughly how he has organized the group. So far about 40 people paid $10 each. They are waiting for the Mega Millions lottery to get into record territory. Somewhere between $400 anf $500 million. Then they will spend all the money collected on tickets. In case it always gets won before then, they will buy the occasional tickets when the jackpot is between $200 and $400 million.

They also see the possibility that Powerball gets to $400 million well before Mega Millions. So to hedge their bets, they are looking for someone to join the group that lives in a Powerball state. They buy Powerball tickets for the group, if and when the Powerball jackpot get large in exchange for membership in the group. So for example, if the Powerball player gets one $10 share in the pool, they are obligated to buy $10 worth of Powerball tickets.

Good luck,
    Jake

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2006, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Currently, for Poweball to get over $400 million, it will have to make it to at least $375 million and roll once more beyond that.

Canada
        Member #2673
        November 2, 2003
        497 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2006, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

If I was running the pool, I would wait until the next time Powerball invokes the cap rule and spend all the money. With the bonus money going to the second place prize offers a very good expected value. You get a large jackpot at $390 million, plus extra money with match 5 prizes.

Good luck,
        Jake

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4532 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

First, the mere idea of going into a group pool with folks you never met or have no set provisions in writing is way shady. Anything saying that I have to *BUY* in to become a member just isnt my cup of tea. Had the poster said, contribute a set amount each play, that would have been more acceptable. Splitting a pot with 40 folks isnt inticing either. In order for any pool to succeed, the end result has to favor the group as a whole. I think the creativity of telling folks that if they send him 10$, they are in a lottery pool is borderline scarry! Once anyone has collected the funds, there is no guarantee that the money isnt being pocketed by one member or is even being used for tickets! For all I know, its to pay rent or a light bill that is pass due!

Pardon the skepticism but really...the REAL provisions need to be disclosed before contributing to such an endeavor.

But hey! If anyone wants to send ten dollars my way - No membership needed because Id claim the ticket myself! (grin)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2006, 7:19 am - IP Logged

I currently have an overdue cable bill....umm powerball pool anyone? LOL

(Really I don't)

I also would not trust pooling with anyone I did not see face to face daily. Just too many opportunities to be conned. Ask your friend if he would trust someone to do what he is trying to do. He doesn't, that is why HE is doing it. So why would anyone else be any different?

A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4532 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2006, 9:00 am - IP Logged

Hey sirbrad- start you own cable pool! Think of folks that normally dont get cable! Why you are onto something! In return they'll get a snapshot of all the stations you can receive in! (okay bad idea, but a funny thought all the same) . 

As to the original poster, I should state that I'm sure his intentions were well meant for his friend. Its not my place to begrudge a person for wanting to help out on an endeavor. Its the provisions that needed to be outlined clearer that concerned me.

Canada
                Member #2673
                November 2, 2003
                497 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2006, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I am only the poster, not the organizer of the group. For the details and agreement, I suggest dealing directly with the pool organizer.

As to the point of sending $10, that is not being asked. Read the original posts more carefully.

As to the point about trust, yes, there is a certain amount of trust involved. But with a good enough paper trail, the trust can be easily monitored and validated. Much like the online tickets sellers that advertise on this site.

Good luck,
                Jake

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2006, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Jake649, if I was living in a PB state very close to CA, I would be interested, but I'm in the middle of CA. Sorry, I'm not interested unless I'm within a few miles of CA where I live in a PB state.

United States
                    Member #12495
                    March 15, 2005
                    76 Posts
                    Posted: March 23, 2006, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

That reminds me of the idea to play all 146,107,962 combinations some one mentioned before. It has been proposed a 4000 terminal hours needed for that purpose. So for a 1000 member pool, each one would spend 4 hours and buy 146,108 tickets.

Say the previous JP is 200m.

If no one share the JP, then each member makes $150,000, double the money.

If JP is shared with another, then each member break it even.

Now with internet, finding 1000 crazy people with $150,000 each to throw on lottery become possible.  Just loan the money with your house and buy another house after you win.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                      San Angelo, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #1097
                      January 31, 2003
                      1394 Posts
                      Posted: March 23, 2006, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I think the pool organizer would be more successful if he gave his place of residence and then canvass Post members who live in same or nearby state. This way, the players could meet for coffee somewhere, bring in other potential members, etc.

There is one big Powerball pool on the net already. Folks join by paying $19.99 to become one of 100 members in a pool.

Starting from scratch with secrecy is just not going to fly, IMHO.

MA
                        United States
                        Member #11452
                        February 14, 2005
                        74 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Woah.  $400!?!?

I wonder how long it would take the machine just to print those tickets!  Probably like 5 minutes!

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: March 26, 2006, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

That reminds me of the idea to play all 146,107,962 combinations some one mentioned before. It has been proposed a 4000 terminal hours needed for that purpose. So for a 1000 member pool, each one would spend 4 hours and buy 146,108 tickets.

Say the previous JP is 200m.

If no one share the JP, then each member makes $150,000, double the money.

If JP is shared with another, then each member break it even.

Now with internet, finding 1000 crazy people with $150,000 each to throw on lottery become possible.  Just loan the money with your house and buy another house after you win.

That would not be a good idea. What if the lotteries sold another winning ticket? You'd lose big.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                            PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: March 26, 2006, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Just admit it, this powerball player is YOU in disguise, and you are behind on bills.

A long and winding road
                              United States
                              Member #17084
                              June 10, 2005
                              4532 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2006, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

LOL Sirbrad! Great interrogation skills! You called the bluff, now what will he do for cable and internet access? All jesting aside, It cannot be stressed enough that it only takes ONE winning combination of numbers to HIT the BIG one! On a side note, one of our local lottery places limits the purchase of Powerball tickets to $300.00 if the lines are  long. They like to see winners as well as the next place but they also beleive that local players shouldnt have to stand around for an hour to get their five dollar tickets due to a greedy patron.