Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Looking for Powerball Pool Player

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 11 years ago by NewClub.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2006, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

That reminds me of the idea to play all 146,107,962 combinations some one mentioned before. It has been proposed a 4000 terminal hours needed for that purpose. So for a 1000 member pool, each one would spend 4 hours and buy 146,108 tickets.

Say the previous JP is 200m.

If no one share the JP, then each member makes $150,000, double the money.

If JP is shared with another, then each member break it even.

Now with internet, finding 1000 crazy people with $150,000 each to throw on lottery become possible.  Just loan the money with your house and buy another house after you win.

There are 86,400 seconds in a day. 

In addition, you need to co-ordinate with all 1000 members and make sure there are no redunancies in purchases, and that the field is completely covered.  This is not an easy task.  It would take months of coordination and months of planning.  Once you have covered the field, you need to be aware of what the odds are of there being one or more winner.  As the prize gets larger these odds become considerably higher.

Then you have to have statements from all of pool members delineating the tickets they buy, and their legally binding committment to share the prize.  Tickets are bearer instruments.

I suggest player just buy their own tickets.  A pool is almost always a loser.

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
    Member #2673
    November 2, 2003
    497 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2006, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

A pool is almost always a loser.

Prob988, I am surprised by your above statement given your demonstrated knowledge of odds.

By teh way, my buddy tells me he has someone interested in buying Powerball tickets for the group. Given the steady stream of jackpot rolls for both Powerball and Mega Millions, his group will soon be buying tickets.

Thanks to all that replied to this request.

Good luck,
    Jake

United States
      Member #12495
      March 15, 2005
      76 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2006, 9:44 am - IP Logged

That reminds me of the idea to play all 146,107,962 combinations some one mentioned before. It has been proposed a 4000 terminal hours needed for that purpose. So for a 1000 member pool, each one would spend 4 hours and buy 146,108 tickets.

Say the previous JP is 200m.

If no one share the JP, then each member makes $150,000, double the money.

If JP is shared with another, then each member break it even.

Now with internet, finding 1000 crazy people with $150,000 each to throw on lottery become possible.  Just loan the money with your house and buy another house after you win.

There are 86,400 seconds in a day. 

In addition, you need to co-ordinate with all 1000 members and make sure there are no redunancies in purchases, and that the field is completely covered.  This is not an easy task.  It would take months of coordination and months of planning.  Once you have covered the field, you need to be aware of what the odds are of there being one or more winner.  As the prize gets larger these odds become considerably higher.

Then you have to have statements from all of pool members delineating the tickets they buy, and their legally binding committment to share the prize.  Tickets are bearer instruments.

I suggest player just buy their own tickets.  A pool is almost always a loser.

ryanm, two winners situation is already considered, in such case, each member break it even.

Prob988, in each second one can buy five numbers. Just take it as a full time job to SPEND all $150,000 in three days. Think about the excitement of spending all those money in CASH.

Since it is a cover-all betting, just assign something like all combinations start with 2,6 to someone. It probably would take more than a month to mark all those betting slips. :)

Then, hire a lawyer for the agreement stuff.

This is not a lottery game any more, it is a business. For lottery, there is no SURE win; but here, cover-all WINs it.

The only drawbacks I can come up with are: cash option cut down the winning; and after all those troubles, the amount won is only $150,000 for each. On the other hand, that money is not bad at all since you just work for about a month and you get more than a whole year salary. Do it once a year, you can take the REST 11 MONTHES OFF. 

Shoreview, MN
        United States
        Member #32671
        February 15, 2006
        7 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2006, 5:20 am - IP Logged

New Club, there is something you haven't thought of.

If some group does this, it will reach the media. Then there will be other clubs that form.

When 2 or 3 such groups start covering all the numbers, then suddenly the pot has to be split 3,4, maybe even 5 times, (2 winners and up to 3 pots).

At this point you are not breaking even or even coming close.

Now if you assume that yours is the only group doing this, you also have to assume that no one screws up. Or that at every gas station buyers go to, that the clerk will allow them to stand their for 30+ minutes handing over form after form. Also you have to assume that no form is lost, or mismarked, no mistakes at all.

What is the chance of that with over 146 million tickets being purchased?

In the end pools don't make sense.

If I buy 1 ticket, my chances are basically zero. If I buy 10, then suddenly my chances are less than 1 in 14.6 million, or in other words zero. If I buy 1000 tickets my chances are still so ing low they may as well be zero.

A pool where 100 people buy 10 tickets each has the same chances as 1 guy buying 1000 tickets, which is basically zero. The difference is that if the impossibly improbable happens and the single guy wins, he gets all the money. If the pool wins, then everyone is better off, but no one is set for life.

Since you are going to lose in a pool almost certainly, unless you organize such a group as described here,(which would most likely require more people, perhaps 1.46+ million at $100 each, but then who cares about doubling $100, best case scenario), you should just buy your own tickets.

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #21206
          September 4, 2005
          949 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2006, 8:20 am - IP Logged

A pool is almost always a loser.

Prob988, I am surprised by your above statement given your demonstrated knowledge of odds.

By teh way, my buddy tells me he has someone interested in buying Powerball tickets for the group. Given the steady stream of jackpot rolls for both Powerball and Mega Millions, his group will soon be buying tickets.

Thanks to all that replied to this request.

My statement was not based on mathematical odds alone. 

There are other variables involved, including human nature. 

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
            Member #2673
            November 2, 2003
            497 Posts
            Posted: April 2, 2006, 9:19 am - IP Logged

If some group does this, it will reach the media. Then there will be other clubs that form.

When 2 or 3 such groups start covering all the numbers, then suddenly the pot has to be split 3,4, maybe even 5 times, (2 winners and up to 3 pots).

Now if you assume that yours is the only group doing this, you also have to assume that no one screws up. Or that at every gas station buyers go to, that the clerk will allow them to stand their for 30+ minutes handing over form after form. Also you have to assume that no form is lost, or mismarked, no mistakes at all.

If I buy 1 ticket, my chances are basically zero. If I buy 10, then suddenly my chances are less than 1 in 14.6 million, or in other words zero. If I buy 1000 tickets my chances are still so ing low they may as well be zero.

A pool where 100 people buy 10 tickets each has the same chances as 1 guy buying 1000 tickets, which is basically zero. The difference is that if the impossibly improbable happens and the single guy wins, he gets all the money. If the pool wins, then everyone is better off, but no one is set for life.

Since you are going to lose in a pool almost certainly, unless you organize such a group as described here,(which would most likely require more people, perhaps 1.46+ million at $100 each, but then who cares about doubling $100, best case scenario), you should just buy your own tickets.

What you have stated with regards to probabilities is factually incorrect. It is so far off the mark I do not believe we could even intellingently discuss. For example, can you imagine trying to convince someone that 2 + 2 = 4 when they simply deny the fact.

Every mathematics book in the world disputes your claims.

Good luck,
            Jake

United States
              Member #12495
              March 15, 2005
              76 Posts
              Posted: April 3, 2006, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

I am sure you are talking about two sides of this plan. One side is playing a lot and acknowlodging mathematically it has an odds equal or close to 1. In that case, one needs to pay attention to how much is the JP. The other side of the story is a small group plays little and count on a single mystic ticket.

In the first case, I don't think we need to worry about another group yet. The fact is that it is already difficult to orgnize the first one. We are not talking about 1 million people playing $150 each, we are talking about 1000 people with business mind playing $150,000 each. That thousand people have to be crazy enough to like this idea and are able to risk such a large amount of money. After the first sucess, I am sure those 1000 people would be willing to bet again with the money they won and keep their original money in their banks. I would not worry about mistakes either. Similar as the chance of pick couple of tickets and think one can win, what is the chance of get several tickets wrong and the winning number has to be in them?

Now if we talk about the mystic single ticket, so called "one only needs one ticket to win". What if the mystic person need other links to connect to his/her mystic ticket? What if there is synergistic effect that several semi-mystic persons together can make it while any single person wouldn't be able to make it? After all, our society has always shown good examples to us that collaboration is better than working alone.

I really like this idea, while at the same time realize it probably can only be a dream. Well, lottery is about keeping dream alive, isn't it?

Party