Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Back to Basics (Dice)

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by JADELottery.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #35335
March 16, 2006
116 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2006, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Before I listen to somebody claiming they know the right way to predict lottery numbers, they have to prove to me they can predict the next roll of the dice.

That's right.  And I'd put a dollar on every dime Bill Gates has (as if I could...wouldn't be on this web site if I did) if there is anybody that can predict the next roll of the dice.

This is all I know about dice:

1. There is a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a one (for example).

2. There is a 1 in 36 chance of rolling a one twice in a row (1:6 X 1:6), etc.

This does not mean that rolling a one on the second roll is less likely to happen just because a one was rolled on first roll.  The odds of getting a one on the second roll are still 1:6.  Each roll is independent of the other rolls.  They cannot be related by mathematics in any way.

If there is anybody out there that disputes this, please point me in the direction of the approved college level text book you used to learn otherwise.

JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3684 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2006, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Interesting.

I would like to see what everyone else has to say, first.

My statements to follow.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

Thoth's avatar - binary
      Findlay, Ohio
      United States
      Member #4855
      May 28, 2004
      400 Posts
      Posted: March 16, 2006, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Did someone on this site specifically state that a lottery combo will not be drawn again just because it was the last number drawn or was just drawn recentently??

You are correct in stating that each throw of a die has the same odds of producing the same digit.  If you toss the die once and you wager on the five, your odds are 1 in 6.  If you wager on the five for the next throw your odds, again, are 1 in 6.  The probability of both tosses resulting in two fives is 1/6 X 1/6 = 1 in 36.

The probability to toss a five ten consecutive times in a row is 1/6^10 = 1 in 60,466,176.  The reverse of that event is tossing the die ten times in a row and not landing a five even once.  The probability of that occuring is 1/5^10 ÷ 1/6^10, which equals 16.15%.  Obviously, this means the chance of having AT LEAST one five in ten tosses is 83.85%

If you toss the die and it lands on five, there IS a 50% that another five will be thrown within the next 4 tosses.  Also, your chance to throw at least one five within 51 tosses is 99.99%

This is the mathematics that IS releated to our lottery, as well as your dice throwing game.  Analyze a series of several thousand truly random dice throws and these things will prove to be true.

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

Thoth's avatar - binary
        Findlay, Ohio
        United States
        Member #4855
        May 28, 2004
        400 Posts
        Posted: March 16, 2006, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

"Each roll is independent of the other rolls.  They cannot be related by mathematics in any way"

Also, I must add that the two rolls are mathematically related through combinatorics and the laws of probability.  The odds of guessing two consecutive die rolls (before the first takes place) is 1 in 36, because there are 36 possible outcomes...or 36 permutation of the two dice.  If you did not care about the order of the two dice within the group of two, then there would be six doubles (1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6) and 15 "combinations" where the order does not matter, i.e. - a roll of a 4 then a 5 would be the same as a roll of 5 then a 4.

The odds of rolling 5-4 OR 4-5 would be 36/2 = 1 in 18.  In 81 trials there is a 99% chance that the 4 will follow the 5 OR the 5 will follow the 4.  As a possible system for throwing dice (if such a system exists), you could opt to only wager a 4 when a 5 is thrown, or a 5 when 4 is thrown, but only if any combination of 4 and 5 has not been thrown since the start of the 81 game trial.

Another real life test that could be done is to watch how each of the 15 dice combos repeat within 12 to 13 trials 50% of the time.  In this case, the key would be to predict two future dice rolls at once, instead of basing one throw on the last.

United States
          Member #35335
          March 16, 2006
          116 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2006, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm...

I just rolled a die 13 times.  The first 12 numbers, in order, were 1, 3, 6, 2, 6, 6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 5, and 5.

Using your combinatorics and probability, what was the 13th number?

You would impress me if you had a formula that not only worked with this set of numbers, but also the next set of numbers I have not yet thrown.

Thoth's avatar - binary
            Findlay, Ohio
            United States
            Member #4855
            May 28, 2004
            400 Posts
            Posted: March 16, 2006, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

First of all, I never claimed to be able to predict numbers, let alone the exact outcome of the next roll of your die.  The mathematics of combinatorics does play a huge role in lotteries as well as dice throwing.  While it is impossible to consistently predict the next number to be drawn, their are many things that probabilty will tell you besides the "odds". 

Even in I wanted to try to predict dice rolls, I would still want a much larger history than your 12 throws.  If I was forced to choose I would go with a 1 or 4 - based on the 50% repeat chance, although that could easily be a fourth 5 as well. 

If you chose to roll the dice 12 times because I stated that "...each of the 15 dice combos repeat within 12 to 13 trials 50% of the time," then I should clarify that one trial is equivelant to 2 rolls of the dice.  So, if you was trying to guess two consecutive throws at a time and the dice was actually thrown 20 times, there would only be "10 trials" so to speak.

I am in agreement that there is no formula to tell you the next outcome of an event, whether it be lottery or dice, but probabilty does work within a measured amount of trials.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19901 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2006, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

The way I see it, if any one could really come close to predicting the winning combination of any lottery, they could just post a scanned image of a winning ticket.  That would convince me that they could pick a winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
                rainbow lake
                Canada
                Member #25177
                November 2, 2005
                10764 Posts
                Posted: March 17, 2006, 1:34 am - IP Logged

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #22395
                  September 24, 2005
                  1583 Posts
                  Posted: March 17, 2006, 1:56 am - IP Logged

You would impress me...

Why is someone supposed to impress you?

United States
                    Member #35335
                    March 16, 2006
                    116 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2006, 7:18 am - IP Logged

Amazing Grace, 

It wasn't 3 but any one of the next 5 people might get it right.

truecritic,

Did I hurt your feelings?  My family doesn't have to impress me.  My friends don't have to impress me.  My next door neighbor doesn't have to impress me.  My co-workers don't have to impress me.  But, an on-line board of anonymous lottery prognosticators MUST ABSOLUTELY impress me before I would believe anything any of them had to say.

FYI:  One of the synonyms of impress is to affect.  How could I not be affected by somebody that could predict the next roll of the dice?  Since I know that the next roll cannot be predicted, I will never be impressed.  You see, you aren't supposed to impress me because you can't.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #22395
                      September 24, 2005
                      1583 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2006, 10:41 am - IP Logged

Quote: 

"My family doesn't have to impress me.  My friends don't have to impress me.  My next door neighbor doesn't have to impress me.  My co-workers don't have to impress me.  But, an on-line board of anonymous lottery prognosticators MUST ABSOLUTELY impress me..."

Maybe I should rephrase the question...who cares if you are or aren't impressed?

Click Resources->Search for something. Do some reading and just make up your own mind if you want to join in.

for99c's avatar - Lottery-058.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #27861
                        December 6, 2005
                        29 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2006, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Thoth's avatar - binary
                          Findlay, Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #4855
                          May 28, 2004
                          400 Posts
                          Posted: March 17, 2006, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Through combinatorics you can deduce the probability of all outcome patterns for throwing a die six times.  You could take the chart below and break it down still further and allow a letter to represent a particular digit. 

DICE   BASE COMBOS    WAYS  PERMUTATIONS    Chance

AAAAAA        6                1            6        0.01%
                          AAAAAB      30                6          180        0.39%
                          AAAABB      30              15          450        0.96%
                          AAAABC      60              30        1,800       3.86%
                          AAABBB      15              20          300        0.64%
                          AAABBC      120              60        7,200       15.43%
                          AAABCD       60              120        7,200       15.43%
                          AABBCC      20              90        1,800       3.86%
                          AABBCD      90              180       16,200       34.72%
                          AABCDE      30              360       10,800      23.15%
                          ABCDEF        1              720          720        1.54%

Sum:  46,656
                                                           6^6 = 46,656

Thoth's avatar - binary
                            Findlay, Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #4855
                            May 28, 2004
                            400 Posts
                            Posted: March 17, 2006, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Always losing the format...grr

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19901 Posts
                              Posted: March 17, 2006, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm...

I just rolled a die 13 times.  The first 12 numbers, in order, were 1, 3, 6, 2, 6, 6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 5, and 5.

Using your combinatorics and probability, what was the 13th number?

You would impress me if you had a formula that not only worked with this set of numbers, but also the next set of numbers I have not yet thrown.

When I look at your previous results, I am confident that your next number will be a repeat of one of the earlier rolls. The odds of a correct guess with no formula is 1:6, however with more observations one probably could reduce those odds to 1:4 or a 50% improvement.  Over a short period of time even in a random environment, certain outcomes will appear to be favored and it's those types of treads that the system lottery players are looking for. By elimination the results that are least likely to happen, one can improve one's odds of guessing correctly what will happen.  In your dice rolls, eliminating two possible outcomes will improve the odds of a correct guess by 50%.  No system can reduce the odds of guessing correctly to 1:1 and everyone old enough to play lotteries knows it's unrealistic and foolish to expect such results.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking