Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing lottery alone?

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 11 years ago by loves2lotto.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How do you play the lottery

Always with a group [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Mostly solo, sometimes in a group [ 30 ]  [96.77%]
mostly in a group, sometimes solo [ 1 ]  [3.23%]
Total Valid Votes [ 31 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 2, 2006, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I can't think of anyplace where I didn't see whoever was going on a loto run didn't ask everyone if they wanted in.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the group you encountered was real optimistic about hitting a jackpot and has already set uo a trust with a lawyer.  

Thanks. I agree. That's what I always thought, but LottoGroups does make a good point too. I just figured the more the merrier, but I suppose if the group had won a few smaller prizes, they might resent someone coming in after they had been playing for a while. There was no trust set up, just a few small wins. I'm not working there, but it was just food for thought since I would want to join if I did.  I guess a lottery pool isn't part of company benefits so it doesn't have to include everyone, but somehow it rubbed me the wrong way.

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: April 2, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

I can't think of anyplace where I didn't see whoever was going on a loto run didn't ask everyone if they wanted in.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the group you encountered was real optimistic about hitting a jackpot and has already set uo a trust with a lawyer.  

Thanks. I agree. That's what I always thought, but LottoGroups does make a good point too. I just figured the more the merrier, but I suppose if the group had won a few smaller prizes, they might resent someone coming in after they had been playing for a while. There was no trust set up, just a few small wins. I'm not working there, but it was just food for thought since I would want to join if I did.  I guess a lottery pool isn't part of company benefits so it doesn't have to include everyone, but somehow it rubbed me the wrong way.

JXP: I don't blame you for feeling that way.

It's like you are good enough to come and work with them but not good enough to be in one of the functions that would allow the opportunity to get to know each other a little bit better.. .

Da Baaastaads !!

Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: April 2, 2006, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

"JXP: I don't blame you for feeling that way.

It's like you are good enough to come and work with them but not good enough to be in one of the functions that would allow the opportunity to get to know each other a little bit better.. .

Da Baaastaads !!" DoubleDown

Yes, DD. But it was also the fact that, like many people who frequent this site, I'm serious about winning the lottery one day, so I'd be pretty upset if they DID win and I was left out, especially if I was working there full time and wanted to join.  I mean, let's say that by some miracle in 3 months they hit the jackpot for $30M and I come into work and everyone is excited. The News-Press on the front page shows "8 employees from XYZ Corp hit the jackpot Sat!" and I'd have to report for work the next day for the lousy hourly wage. Of course the chances are slim, but just the idea that it could happen would make me feel left out. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2006, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Before I retired I figured my co-workers showed up for the same reason I did, to collect a pay check, not because they wanted to work with me.  If they had a lottery pool or a social group that was limited to just their friends, it was fine with me.  Actually there was several lottery pools around work, some just when the jackpots got big and others a group of friends that play every draw regardless of the jackpot size.  I'm sure if any one of them had won a jackpot everyone else would have felt left out but they would have gotten over it. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2006, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

Before I retired I figured my co-workers showed up for the same reason I did, to collect a pay check, not because they wanted to work with me.  If they had a lottery pool or a social group that was limited to just their friends, it was fine with me.  Actually there was several lottery pools around work, some just when the jackpots got big and others a group of friends that play every draw regardless of the jackpot size.  I'm sure if any one of them had won a jackpot everyone else would have felt left out but they would have gotten over it. 

I partly agree with you but I guess I brought it up here since they mentioned it during the interview. Had it been a private thing among friends, like going out to Happy Hour after work, I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought, although I'd still resent being left out if I wanted to join and pay my share. In a way, maybe it's a good thing I haven't worked for a place that has a pool, since I definitely would not get over it if they won a huge amount!!  (I'm admitting it)  For 21 years I worked for an international company and they had a pool at the Chicago manufacturing plant. There were only about 12 of us and it was a very large corporation, but anyone was welcome to join.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19831 Posts
            Posted: April 3, 2006, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

There's always going to people who feel entitled to share the good fortunes of others by their association whether by workplace, neighborhood or family.  In addition some may believe winning a lottery jackpot is an unearned blessing that went to the wrong person especially if they aren't the winner, so they are likely to sue if they think they can convince a court they deserved a share of that blessing as much as anyone.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

loves2lotto's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              Charlotte, North Carolina
              United States
              Member #36131
              March 28, 2006
              50 Posts
              Posted: April 4, 2006, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I plan on keeping all of my winnings so I always play alone.White Bounce

I see a huge powerball win in my future!

Hyper