Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Gene Pitney dies after 'great show'

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 11 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
Michigan
United States
Member #22395
September 24, 2005
1583 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2006, 7:34 am - IP Logged

AMERICAN singing legend Gene Pitney performed one of the greatest shows of his career just hours before he was found dead in a Cardiff hotel room yesterday.

Tour manager James Kelly said the chart-topping crooner was in high spirits after receiving a standing ovation at the city's St David's Hall following Tuesday night's sell-out concert.

But fans said last night that the 65-year-old star was struggling to walk easily and had told them he was due to undergo a hip replacement operation in the US after his 23-day UK tour.

Pitney's body was discovered in his room at the five-star Hilton Hotel yesterday morning.

Mr Kelly said, "We don't have a cause of death at the moment but it looks like it was a very peaceful passing. He was found fully-clothed, on his back, as if he had gone for a lie-down. It looks as if there was no pain whatsoever, which is nice."

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2006, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

r.i.p. my condolences......

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2006, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Rest in peace, Gene. I remember how much I liked his songs. He was a fellow New Englander, from CT.   I was very young,  but I liked "Mecca" and "24 Hours from Tulsa." Now that I'm writing this, the song "Only Love Can Break The Heart" is in my head. 65 is sort of young to just go to sleep on your back and not wake up, so maybe it was a heart attack. If he was performing with a hip problem at 65, it could have been an overdose or drug interaction. I know several people who have hip problems and they are in a great deal of pain, but I do think it's always better to remember someone in a positive way. I'm happy to know he was still performing for sell-out crowds.

Blue Angel Fly with the angels.