Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can the retailer screw up you winning?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Taidow.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
United States
Member #26084
November 14, 2005
199 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2006, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

What I mean by this is, sometimes I buy my tickets from a store that doesn't seem to have their act together. If I bought the winning ticket from them is there something that they don't do that would prevent me from claiming my prize? Or is the lottery system automatic and fool proof from human error?

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
    Norfolk , Va
    United States
    Member #4541
    May 2, 2004
    25097 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2006, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I think if you buy the ticket and look at it and see it's not right , you can have them cancel it and either get your money back or purchace a new ticket.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
      Jacksonville Florida
      United States
      Member #23018
      October 6, 2005
      917 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2006, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

Most lotteries now are fairly foolproof...if you get the printed ticket you are ok. Some lotteries allow cancelling a ticket within a certain timeframe, but the original ticket usually must be run through the machine and the word "Cancel" is printed on the ticket (this may not apply to all states with lotteries and here in Florida, some online games cannot be cancelled once purchased, for example, the Grouper game and ez-match cannot be cancelled).

What can happen is at the time of turning in a winning ticket, a dishonest clerk sees it is a winner and says it is not. Always get back tickets that a clerk says are not winners...

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2006, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Powerball tickets cannot be cancel...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
          Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
          United States
          Member #26084
          November 14, 2005
          199 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2006, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Thanks all. I was just wondering if they need to do something like send the information to MM or the state lottery center at 10:10 pm? Or if this is done automatically by the computer? It’s convenient for me to go there but I don’t quite trust the personnel that keeps changing on weekly basis. Most times I have to tell them how to work the machine.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2006, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

The lottery center knows right away if there was a winner or not..  and which store the ticket was purchased.. and so forth..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: April 6, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

When you buy lottery tickets, the date of the appropriate drawing is on it.  If you buy tickets after the terminal has closed for a drawing it will have the date of the next drawing on it.  Multi-States game can not be canceled but if you make out cards for custom picks or buy QPs what can go wrong?  If you ask for QPs don't like what comes out then you're stucked.  If you buy your ticket a half hour before the drawings you shouldn't have any problems.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2006, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

When you buy lottery tickets, the date of the appropriate drawing is on it.  If you buy tickets after the terminal has closed for a drawing it will have the date of the next drawing on it.  Multi-States game can not be canceled but if you make out cards for custom picks or buy QPs what can go wrong?  If you ask for QPs don't like what comes out then you're stucked.  If you buy your ticket a half hour before the drawings you shouldn't have any problems.

I would agree, but I honestly got the wrong numbers from a card I filled out. Of course it wasn't the card or the lottery terminal at 7-11, but what happened is that I had my Lotto cards in the plastic lottery sleeve I carry, and I guess one of them was bent or got wet in the store (have no idea) The clerk figured he was doing me a favor by manually entering the numbers for me, but didn't say anything. He entered 2 of the numbers incorrectly. I did catch it, but I'm glad I did before the draw because I've been betting that particular set of 6 numbers for 12 years. Now I always check the numbers, even when I bet using my cards. I kept the incorrect ticket because I'm also a little superstitious, but it could have been canceled.  If I didn't notice and by a slim but terrible twist of fate my numbers finally hit after over 600 weeks, I would have died!! Once I handed someone at Sweetbay market 2 cards and she put one of them through twice. So I got 2 tickets exactly the same and she wouldn't cancel one of them. I'm not going to argue about a buck so I paid for 3 tickets instead of 2 that night but one of my cards would have been missed. It's not common, but it does happen.

One thing I would NEVER do is check my ticket at a store since they are available on LP and other sites (are there other sites? LOL!)

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2006, 12:23 am - IP Logged

I remember once someone said they tried to play one ticket for five drawings but instead got five tickets for the same drawing because the retailer messed up. Therefore, when I decided to start playing the same Powerball quick pick for three drawings, I marked it on the form so that the retailer cannot mess it up.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2006, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Idiots can always mess things up. Never underestimate the power of idiots.

I just choose retellers that I have been in before and know they are staffed by people competent enough to use the machine properly. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19825 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2006, 1:31 am - IP Logged

Before the Big Game came to Ohio as MegaMillions, I use to drive to Michigan to get tickets when the jackpot was $100M+ and the stores near the boarders had signs that stated if players wanted anything other than QPs they had to make out cards and be responsible for their own mistakes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2006, 3:30 am - IP Logged

Idiots can always mess things up. Never underestimate the power of idiots.

I just choose retellers that I have been in before and know they are staffed by people competent enough to use the machine properly. 

In fairness to the people who work at some of the convenient stores, there's often a turnover and they are in training. They aren't necessarly "idiots" but are trying to do many new things at once. There are some stores around here that are busy all the time and they sell gas, sandwiches, coffee, beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets, etc. I do agree with you however that I prefer using the stores where the employees are familiar with the operation of the machines.

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2006, 3:39 am - IP Logged

Before the Big Game came to Ohio as MegaMillions, I use to drive to Michigan to get tickets when the jackpot was $100M+ and the stores near the boarders had signs that stated if players wanted anything other than QPs they had to make out cards and be responsible for their own mistakes.

I think that's a very good rule for any store. It's not "rocket science" as they say and it's not the clerk's job to train the customers. I often used cards for QPs too if its not a last minute whim. It just seems simpler if I'm playing my own numbers to add a card with the QP box checked. 

This is kind of funny. I was at the market and a lady had filled out a lottery card with advance play. She had checked 5 plays but wanted 7 or something like that. First of all, on the ticket there is no box for 7.  I think if she hadn't checked the box, she might have been able to ask the cashier for whatever number of plays she desired. I can't tell you how long she was at the counter and every time the cashier ran her card through it was, of course, the same problem and not accepted. I don't know why she bothered putting it through again and again, because I knew the customer was never going to be happy. It was like a scene from an Abbott and Costello skit. So here's a good reason why that rule RJOh mentioned above makes sense.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                            Washington State
                            United States
                            Member #33973
                            February 26, 2006
                            347 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2006, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I have never seen anyone try to get thier own numbers without having a completed playing card.  I didn't know it could even be done.  Either my state requires the card to do that or every location I've been in has required it, I guess. 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2006, 11:55 am - IP Logged

here in tennessee you don't have to fill out a slip to do quick pick.....