Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can the retailer screw up you winning?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Taidow.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2006, 11:56 am - IP Logged

however once they print pick 5 or powerball tickets they can't be cancelled here.with pick 3 and pick 4 there is a 15 minute limit where you can cancel the tickets.......

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

here in tennessee you don't have to fill out a slip to do quick pick.....

Most people in FL don't either, but you can.  The situation I wrote about in my last post is not uncommon. I once stood behind a man who was buying 100 tickets for a pool and they were all personal numbers, but some had only 5 numbers checked and some had 7. So then the clerk had to ask what number to add to the ones that didn't have 6 numbers and what one to erase on the onces that had too many. This was at a 7-11, a very busy store near the beach, and I'm surprised the clerk was being so helpful.

USA
      United States
      Member #15380
      May 14, 2005
      54 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2006, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Yes they can mess up your monies.  Whether it's hoping you don't know how much you're suppose to get back or whether it's just that they're not paying attention to the screen, whatever the problem is.  You need to know how much you're suppose to get back and count behind them.  I can remember myself hitting a 3 digit number and the payoff should've been $290.  Do you know the clerk tried to give me $250? I wasn't having it though.  That's why I count my winning right in front of them

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
        United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: April 8, 2006, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I've also had the opposite problem (if you want to call it a problem) in that the clerk gives me back to much money. If I catch it at the store I give it back. However if I'm already down the rode I keep it.

Like someone said above, I'm far to superstitious when a mistake happens to give back the ticket for a refund. After all I won $20.00 once from a mistake.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Glenn123's avatar - praying hands.jpg
          Amarillo,Texas
          United States
          Member #26963
          November 25, 2005
          416 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2006, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I work at a C-Store and the big problem is people

don't no how to properly fill out the playslips.They

either have to many #'s or not enough.They need

to learn to play the games.The clerk doesn't always

have time to explain it to them.In Tx. we can cancel

the pick-3 up to an hour.Everything else,Good Luck.

I might have wandered but i'm not lost!!

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
            Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
            United States
            Member #26084
            November 14, 2005
            199 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2006, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

You’re not going to believe this.

So I go into the store hand over two scratch-offs which is worth $4.00 all told, a slip with two numbers and ask for two quick picks for the Texas Two Step. I receive two Texas Two Step tickets each with two numbers. I get home only to discover that instead of numbers I choose on the slip, that she gave me quick pick numbers. What was she thinking?

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Taidow's avatar - alien helmet.jpg

United States
              Member #3287
              January 8, 2004
              8 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2006, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Most lotteries now are fairly foolproof...if you get the printed ticket you are ok. Some lotteries allow cancelling a ticket within a certain timeframe, but the original ticket usually must be run through the machine and the word "Cancel" is printed on the ticket (this may not apply to all states with lotteries and here in Florida, some online games cannot be cancelled once purchased, for example, the Grouper game and ez-match cannot be cancelled).

What can happen is at the time of turning in a winning ticket, a dishonest clerk sees it is a winner and says it is not. Always get back tickets that a clerk says are not winners...

Always check whether your ticket is a winner from home by going online or calling a holine #. Don't ever turn over a ticket to anyone

until you have checked it's value yourself.